Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I haven't watched this programme yet, but will definitely tune in Monday evening.

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

Thought I'd bump this up as it is on tomorrow night.
Informative for parents of teenagers with diabetes and teenagers themselves.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I'm glad you bumped it up as I would have missed the programme *thumbs-up*

thomasboleyn

Glad I ran a search to see if this had been brought up yet already as I was going to post a new thread otherwise. I'm really looking forward to this tonight! From what I saw of the trailer it showed a teenage girl boasting that she hadn't taken her insulin before her birthday party and I'm fairly sure it then showed her being stretchered out :evil:

EDIT: I've just been reading the comments on the channel 4 website and a lot of people are hoping that the doco makers make a good effort to differentiate between the two types when portraying diabetes as the soon-to-be no1 drain on the NHS.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Channel 4 Programme - The Hospital

Hi, there's programme on Channel 4+1 (13 on Freeview) called The Hospital, starts in a moment. It's about diabetes. Just caught the end of it on Channel 4.
Jus

thomasboleyn

Oh my god, tell me about it. Not a single success story, or seemingly any effort to diffirentiate between the two diseases. Didn't leave a good taste in my mouth at all.

Dippy3103

Now it's over I'm not sure if it made me furious or sad.
All those young lives, all with self destruct button firmly pressed. I understand that when you are 16 it is hard to think ahead to 40 but all the same.
And in the mean time all those resources that are being poured into them at the cost of others, which I wouldn't begrudge if they were actually using them!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Now I really understand why foot care is so important. I have taken good care of my feet since diagnosis but didn't really know why. Now I know why! I shall never forget those dreadful pictures.

It was frightening to see those young people just ignoring their diabetes without caring or knowing about what could (would?) happen in the future. Who never tested. Who drank so much alcohol. Who ate all the wrong food. Who didn't inject. And type 2s that young. And all those wasted hospital appointments which are so hard to get.

Thanks Catherine for letting us know this programme was on.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
i thought it was quite good, horrific at times and i was scared to death for that womans baby!

it would of been nice if they included a young person who does control their diabetes well and attends appointments etc.

Another reason to curse the younger generation aye!?

i definately agree with daisy about the foot thing! i was horrified!

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
I liked the consultant/doctor and his comments that control con only be achieved by testing - send a tape loop of that to the powers that be in the NHS.
Apart from that I was hissing comments at my wife about these kids, their parents and their attitude to life the universe and diabetes.
It all seemed to be a big joke to them. :shock:

Again the consultants comment that the NHS will have to start discriminating against overweight people, how long before those with no diabetic control start being removed from lists for checkups and other NHS services.

Point for discussion - miss 3 consecutive appointments and be struck off the NHS and forced to go private? I was shocked at the waste these people cost the NHS.
I think the idea of ritually flogging them was quite justified.

Been discussing this at work and still angfy about it.

C

catherinecherub

I think the programme showed what it had set out to do, "The difficulty in treating young people with Diabetes as staff make them reconcile the seriousness of their condition with lifestyle choices".
We have all been teenagers once and thought that we were invincible and also liked to fit in with our peers. What came across to me was the lack of parental guidance with regard to the heavy under age drinking, partying and seriousness of the condition their children had. They sat on the sidelines and let it happen. I know that teenagers can be difficult but you would surely want the best for your children and try to intervene? Parents who post here are such a different breed to the ones we saw in the programme.
The waste of NHS resources was blatantly obvious. This was just one clinic and it made me wonder how many more were being wasted by patients not turning up for appointments?
The graphic foot operations were a timely reminder about foot care and achieved the shock factor, something that is needed.
Judging by the comments of the Consultant, who was obviously so frustrated by it all, rationing is on it's way but it remains to be seen how that will be achieved. You cannot write these young people off but perhaps more education aimed at them and their parents might help.
If this programme helps some diabetics realize the seriousness of their condition then it will have been worthwhile IMHO. You never know, those involved in the programme may get a jolt when they watch it back.
Rows of people in a waiting room who comply with their treatment and keep appointments is not the stuff that programmes are made of. Adding the roller coaster of day to day management might be.
I am glad that I watched it as I did not have any idea that some young people put their condition on the back burner and chose to ignore it without thinking about the consequences. Perhaps they think that time is on their side and they can make the necessary changes when they are older?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I watched it and feel that the children portrayed will one day regret their stupidity. They have been told what they need to do but have that attitude that it won't matter........'I want to live my life as I want !'
It won't happen to me.

I have seen that attitude and it's often fatal consequences many times in my working life and it is so prevalent in many of today's children. Those who think they are adults......but are throwing their future, their life, away.

Well, kiddies......for that's what they really are. Immature, selfish and idiotic are the terms that spring to mind. They have no thought for what they are doing to their own bodies, no thought for anybody but themselves.........no respect for themselves or anyone else, parents, Dr's, Nurses etc.

That Consultant had the look and sound of a man who is just swimming against the tide. A man who knows that he can do good but is constantly hampered by the childish attitudes of those shown last night. Apart from a few who were making an effort he was just battling against apathy and in some cases lack of support and undrstanding of just how damaging Diabetes can be if left uncontrolled.

One or two of the Parents have a lot to answer for.......the Woman who, because her husband died from Diabetes and was eating a healthy diet decided that she would bring her daughter up differently. Instead of helping her daughter, feed her junk, Dumplings, Rice etc etc.......SHE is responsible for instilling bad habits in her offspring. What a totally ridiculous way of dealing with what for her daughter will now probably end up a life threatening condition. I feel so sorry for the girl.

It made me so angry to see the posturing and complacency of these no doubt 'intelligent' young people. One day, this programme will come back to haunt them.........a monument to their own crass stupidty !

Before anybody says we should feel sorry for them.......I do. It's just that virtually everything you saw last night was a self-inflicted injury. An accident waiting to happen......... :(

Ken

thomasboleyn

cugila said:
One or two of the Parents have a lot to answer for.......the Woman who, because her husband died from Diabetes and was eating a healthy diet decided that she would bring her daughter up differently. Instead of helping her daughter, feed her junk, Dumplings, Rice etc etc.......SHE is responsible for instilling bad habits in her offspring. What a totally ridiculous way of dealing with what for her daughter will now probably end up a life threatening condition. I feel so sorry for the girl.

I couldn't help but chuckle when she referred to it as "that diabetes thing", while stirring that horrible looking concoction.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Just gave my feet a thorough treatment. I wonder why :?: