BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would try to get a trial too @Lindy01 - my clinic gave me an older version of a pump filled with saline to try so I could see how I felt about the tubing and being 'attached'. You really need to try wearing one for your dancing and exercise and see if it works for you. If you decide the tubing is a deal breaker then there is the Omnipod and Cellnovo to look into (I'm going to be starting the Cellnovo soon)

Don't let them push you into choosing the one they like - they are not you. I hope it isn't the reason, but they may push the Insight just because the rep brings them the best goodies!

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Extremely easy, the hand-held device (PDM) which controls the Pods has a good size screen and the instruction manual that comes with the pump is self-explanatory.

Whichever pump you decide to go on do consider the pump training sessions that are sometimes offered by the pump reps, they talk you through the pump options such as setting different basal profiles/ using the various bolusing options such as an extended dose/dual-wave bolus which is great for difficult meals like those that are high in fat.

Just one more thing and don't know if it's been mentioned to you yet, there's an excellent book called Pumping Insulin which is a must for anyone on a pump or considering changing to one, the authors are John Walsh & Ruth Roberts and it can be bought on the likes of Amazon.

Again good luck and do keep us updated on your progress.

That's great information thank you for the book suggestion, I will certainly look into it.

The omnipod does have some positives from what I have read :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's great information thank you for the book suggestion, I will certainly look into it.

The omnipod does have some positives from what I have read :)

In fairness all pumps have their pro's & con's, more pro's but you get what I mean :)

If you do order the book make sure it's the latest edition @Lindy01 , however the book Think Like a Pancreas also has some good chapters on insulin pumps so do have a look.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on the omnipod. Found it really useful links and easy to use. I have now using the medtronic 640g for 6 months and I hope to stay on this. As everyone has said there are pro's and cons to all pumps but as I starter I personally would start with the omnipod. Saying that I've only had 2 different pumps.

Hope you enjoy your new pump which ever you decide on. It's a whole new world from injecting yourself.