Dawn Phenomena breathrough

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ,is the very first time I have not experienced significant dawn phenomenon since diagnosis. Nomrally my blood sugar peaks around 11.00 and it's normally well over 6.7 , lately low sevens.

Today it peaked at 5.7 so in the interests of trying to pin down why - what was different:

Over the last three days I have drunk more apple cider vinegar morning and evening .
I have been leaving my first food in the day until around 1 pm and my last around 9pm

Over the last two days I took a probiotic to try to get my gut biome in better order.

I have been having my blended coffee plus spices drink at least twice a day.

My evening meal was small portion of home made fish soup followed by two egg omelette with plenty of butter, plus 12g of dark chocolate finished around 9 pm - it did not register on my meter.

Last night I went to bed earlier than usual , around 10.30 and woke earlier than usual around 5.30 am . Overnight about 5.0 rising to 5.7 maximum. Blood sugar never rose above 5.7 since round 1.00 pm yesterday and has not fallen below 4.4 either .

I guess time will tell if its a fluke or repeatable and maybe the above will help me identify why 1

Reactions: Speedbird

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thats brilliant!!! I really hope it is repeatable. I suffer with DP and I'm always looking for ways to reduce it. At the moment I need to eat a protein breakfast with some carbs and that seems to stop it from carrying on rising but only works if I eat it within fifteen minutes of getting out of bed. The problem with that is that sometimes I just don't feel like eating.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats brilliant!!! I really hope it is repeatable. I suffer with DP and I'm always looking for ways to reduce it. At the moment I need to eat a protein breakfast with some carbs and that seems to stop it from carrying on rising but only works if I eat it within fifteen minutes of getting out of bed. The problem with that is that sometimes I just don't feel like eating.
Me too. I need to eat something right away and not always in the mood. As most know some avocado is enough but then I need to take a small bolus about an hour later to stop any further rise. This keeps me very steady.
Fasting does nothing but make it all worse for me
Protein first thing doesn't work either so the fatty avocado it is.
I wonder if egg yolk with mayo would work?? Fat bomb.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Me too. I need to eat something right away and not always in the mood. As most know some avocado is enough but then I need to take a small bolus about an hour later to stop any further rise. This keeps me very steady.
Fasting does nothing but make it all worse for me
Protein first thing doesn't work either so the fatty avocado it is.
I wonder if egg yolk with mayo would work?? Fat bomb.

I've tried .... but I really can't cope with eating avocado for breakfast - any other time of the day I'm fine with it - love it - but just not for breakfast.

Eggs are good for me - scrambled, boiled, baked, poached, omelette - all good at slowing down or stopping DP.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried .... but I really can't cope with eating avocado for breakfast - any other time of the day I'm fine with it - love it - but just not for breakfast.

Eggs are good for me - scrambled, boiled, baked, poached, omelette - all good at slowing down or stopping DP.
I can understand that. I'd rather have eggs or at least the option but I need over twice the insulin for protein bf. I eat eggs often for lunch. Love them any way I can get them
At least avocado is as easy as it comes. Haha. Not that eggs are difficult...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At least avocado is as easy as it comes.

I really do not like them, but did buy some to try and make myself like them. Easy? I made a right hash of getting the flesh out. It took longer than boiling and eating an egg, and for me wasn't worth the hassle. ;)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I thought for long enough that I needed to eat in the morning, because my blood sugars kept rising until I ate something - or so I thought, then I decided to see if eating anything actually did change anything and it turned out it didn't. Using the CGM I could see that basically my blood sugars started to fall at pretty much the same time every day with or without the food. All that food rally did was take it up a little depending on what I ate, the trajectory coming back down didn't change much at all.

That led me back to the fasting principles. I find it much harder to stop eating in the evening than I do to not eat in the morning. I think my weight stalling has been because having started to eat during a day, it doesn't really change how much I still want to eat in the evening.

So my new plan was - don't eat at all in the morning, just water or black tea, when the hunger pangs start, try to assuage it with a spicy coffee having first had a glass of apple cider vinegar water . Hold out as long as possible for the first meal of the day - around 2. Eat most of my calories around -9 with a proper two course meal preceded by some more apple cider vinegar. Maybe one glass of wine. Finish that meal with some dark choc or nuts - stick to 1250 calories in total ish. ie still feel quite full all evening my danger time.

I started this way of eating about 5 days ago in response to a few days lower will power in the evenings which I couldn't seem to get rid of. I noticed that the dawn phenomena started to flatten out a bit over that time, today its still there but the rise was 5. to 5.7, not 5 to 6.7 as previously .

without the cgm monitor I would not have known that the same thing was happening with or without food, because when testing by fingerpricks there is no need to test unless you are eating - so you don't see the true comparative. If you add testing at the same time each day around when you usually peak, you might find the same thing as me.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My DP has just stopped for a few weeks. No idea why!
Not doing anything differently.