Medtronic, Accu Check, Cellnovo, Vibe and Omnipod - info needed please

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

So after a visit to the hospital to discuss pumps, I really like the idea of getting one. I have been invited to a manufacture talk (Medtronic and Accu Check), but naturally they are only going to talk about the positives as they want you to use their product. But I want to know the bigger picture, so any one using any of the below please could you tell me your experiences using them as well as any faults they have where you had to return them:

Medtronic 640
Acc check insight
Vibe
Omnipod
Cell nova

I don't want to get one that has a high return rate as I really want to enjoy the experience.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the same problem with my Insight twice, which was that that on-off switch on the handset/meter failed.

Both times the handset/meter was replaced by Roche, and very quickly, too. Can't fault their customer service. And it hasn't put me off the Insight. The pump itself was not affected either time, so it was not an issue which caused, or would have caused, any harm to me.

Both @Gaz-M and @Type1Lad have or have had, in the case of the latter, issues with bubbles with their Insight pumps. I haven't encountered this problem myself, though.

I love the fact it has cartridges rather than a reservoir to fill. And I like to be able to take it off for certain activities.

No experience with any of the others.

Enjoy all the research, @Lindy01 - I have found pumping to be a real game-changer.

:happy::happy::happy:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas vibe, good points - waterproof, I cant stress how good this has been for me and I'm no swimmer! also lower cost package for CGM (free starter pack if you go with the pump I hear)

Bad points, it seems a little fragile/prone to issues but they are good at replacing it. Interested in this thread as I'm also up for renewal.

Reactions: catsbd and Snapsy

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I love the vibe, and integration with Dexcom G4, but have had no other pumps, so I can't really compare. The one negative is that the screen can be very difficult to see in bright sunlight, and doesn't work well with polarised sun glasses, but this could be the same for all pumps. I think the best way to summarise it in my mind is if I ask the question would I take the same pump or change if I was up for renewal today, and the answer is I would definitely have another Vibe, for me. The customer service team is absolutely brilliant, and I cannot fault them in any way.

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the insight and love it, as Snapsy says I have had the handset replaced by Roche as it wouldn't calibrate but they had it to me the following day so can't fault them!

Reactions: Medusa41 and Snapsy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've used the 640G, the Roche Combo and a Medtronic Paradigm 722. Of all of these, my favourite was the 640G because it was waterproof, had built in CGM and predictive low glucose suspend (which is incredibly useful as long as you can afford the sensors) and an operating system that made more sense than the other two. It is also considered by some to be a bit large, and some don't like the orientation of the pump.

Personally, as you are the one who is going to have to live with it, don't go on the presentations. Workout what the functions you will most need to use are (Bolus, bolus wizard, various different types of bolus, setting temporary basal rates and any form of getting blood test data into the pump are usually the most common) and try doing all of those. The one which you feel most comfortable with is the one to go for. Ignore flashy presentations, it's the living with it that counts.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi again @Lindy01

As said in your other thread I'm an Omnipod user, the pro's for the pump is it's a tubeless one and the Pods are waterproof too so don't need to be removed when having a bath, shower or when swimming. Much like all pumps it has some excellent bolusing options which you could never match using a insulin pen, to date I've not had to return the pump due to a fault but the back-up support by Ypsomed is really excellent.

Tying hard to think of any con's, perhaps if your TDD is high then the reservoir in the Pod may be too small, it holds 200u compared to other pumps which hold 300u, so depending on your TDD the other pumps may be a better option if 200u wouldn't last over the 3 day period.

Reactions: Snapsy

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lindy01 - I love my Insight. Had an electronic error back in Apr but it was replaced the very next day by Roche. They were excellent. Like @Snapsy said - my actual pump wasn't affected - just the handset. Let us know how you get on

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wouldn't 100% recommend the cellnovo as it fails ALOT. mine one does bolus aborted at least twice a week. Honeslty feel like leaving the whole insulin pump due to the celnovo

MikeRavo91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've used the 640G, the Roche Combo and a Medtronic Paradigm 722. Of all of these, my favourite was the 640G because it was waterproof, had built in CGM and predictive low glucose suspend (which is incredibly useful as long as you can afford the sensors) and an operating system that made more sense than the other two. It is also considered by some to be a bit large, and some don't like the orientation of the pump.

Personally, as you are the one who is going to have to live with it, don't go on the presentations. Workout what the functions you will most need to use are (Bolus, bolus wizard, various different types of bolus, setting temporary basal rates and any form of getting blood test data into the pump are usually the most common) and try doing all of those. The one which you feel most comfortable with is the one to go for. Ignore flashy presentations, it's the living with it that counts.

Do you mean it actually has CGM as standard or it is CGM additional?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you mean it actually has CGM as standard or it is CGM additional?
The best way to describe it is that the pump (like the Vibe) has built in CGM. The main differences between the 640G and the Vibe CGM systems are:
  • The Vibe uses Dexcom while the 640G uses the Medtronic system, which some people get on better with than others
  • The 640G CGM is is integrated with the pump functionality and allows the pump to predict when glucose will go low in the next 30 mins and suspend insulin, then restart it as levels rise again
So technically, it has CGM as a standard component of the pump, however, the NHS will not pay for that CGM as standard and you are required to pay out of pocket for it, unless you can persuade your CCG/local health board to cough up, and very few people have been successful with that one.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've used the Insight and the Vibe and currently have a Vibe, which I love.

I'm always wary about saying anything about the Insight as some people like it, but I detested it. I'd been a pump user for years before I got 'upgraded' to the Insight. It felt like a huge step backwards to me. I hated it so much, I actually phoned my DSN in tears and got swapped to the Vibe and back to pumping normality. Accu Chek are a good company with very good customer service, but the Insight is a dud, in my opinion, and my clinic no longer recommends it.

I love my Vibe because it's very robust, reliable, supports Dexcom CGM, has tiny basal increments, has a long battery life, is waterproof, has a really good choice of sets and cannulas that are Luer lock (ie universal rather than brand specific).

I've had my Vibe just under two years, and I've never had any problems with it :) It's tough and reliable, and very intuitive to use. I love it :)

Reactions: catsbd

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you mind my asking @azure what the issues were with your Insight? I'm wondering if the reason I love mine so much is simply because it's my first pump and I've got nothing different/better to compare it to. I went in with no pump experience and love it perhaps simply for being a pump!

Was your previous pump also from Roche, or was it a completely different manufacturer?

I'm wondering if I might encounter issues if/when I switch pumps in the future because another one will be very different to what I'll've got used to by then!

:)

Reactions: justbe

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you mind my asking @azure what the issues were with your Insight? I'm wondering if the reason I love mine so much is simply because it's my first pump and I've got nothing different/better to compare it to. I went in with no pump experience and love it perhaps simply for being a pump!

Was your previous pump also from Roche, or was it a completely different manufacturer?

I'm wondering if I might encounter issues if/when I switch pumps in the future because another one will be very different to what I'll've got used to by then!

Sorry @Snapsy Just saw this as I didn't get an alert. I don't mind you asking at all :)

I hated the slowness, the fact every single bit of it needed recharging every five minutes, the silly 'cartridges' which are nothing of the sort, the fact that the aforementioned cartridges tied you to one insulin, the pump manual being on a USB stick (so convenient to flick through in bed - not!), the fiddlyness/slowness of the simplest operation.... I could go on.

I was genuinely horrified and shocked when I realised how poor it was (in my opinion). I wasn't exaggerating when I said I was in tears - I really did hate it.

Yes, my previous pumps were from Roche. I can't fault their customer service but I personally believe they've made a huge mistake with the Insight. The safety alerts are shocking too. I can't say too much but I think they rushed it out and designed it poorly.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Medtronic 640G and was lucky enough to get funding for the CGM which I find great.

Medtronic are very helpful when there are any problems and have sent out replacement infusion sets, reservoirs, or sensors when I've thought them faulty.

After changing from the Veo to the 640G, I thought my new pump had too much button pressing compared to my old one but realised that this was a safety measure and quickly got used to it.

I had a fault occur in the 640G, where there was an alert telling me to replace the battery within 30 minutes. This happened 4 times in 2 days so, as I knew the batteries were not the problem, I phoned Medtronic who sent a new pump by courier.

@justbe seems to suggest that the Enlite sensor is taped to the transmitter. This is not the case, they actually clip together and both are taped to the body to prevent the sensor moving out of position.

I have only used Medtronic pumps and have been very happy with them. Others will be just as happy with pumps made by different companies. @Lindy01 I hope, whatever pump you end up choosing, you find it as helpful as I have found mine.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, @azure - and no worries, I often don't get some of my alerts!

I absolutely agree that it takes a while for the handset to do stuff - that can be a pain! I guess I was lucky with the manual - I have a printed one for the pump and another for the handset. I'm on Novorapid so the fact that the cartridges can only be Novorapid isn't a problem for me, but it sounds as if if I ever needed different insulin I would need a change of pump to one with a reservoir instead.

I'm loving this thread and will be coming back to it when my pump is getting towards the end of its warranty. Really useful stuff!

Reactions: azure
S

Smammer

Hi all,

So after a visit to the hospital to discuss pumps, I really like the idea of getting one. I have been invited to a manufacture talk (Medtronic and Accu Check), but naturally they are only going to talk about the positives as they want you to use their product. But I want to know the bigger picture, so any one using any of the below please could you tell me your experiences using them as well as any faults they have where you had to return them:

Medtronic 640
Acc check insight
Vibe
Omnipod
Cell nova

I don't want to get one that has a high return rate as I really want to enjoy the experience.

Thank you in advance for your help!
I have been on insulin pumps for 17 years and had a variety don't go for the acu check insight as this being a new pump THERE is a lot of teething problem plus the cartridges only hold 150 ml. Roche do a pump called the spirit combo which has a cartridge of 315ml excellent pump which puts others to shame. You may not be aware but although th diabetic team will say what pump to have you have the finalbsaybas to what pump you require to receive. Axially Roche give a 24/7 cover ring them anytime for help and advice good luck Allan

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the cartridges only hold 150 ml
The Insight cartridges hold 1.6ml, which is 160 units. Obviously how long it lasts depends entirely on one's total daily dose - one of these cartridges lasts me a little under six days, and my routine is such that I change cannula every three days, with every sixth day being a cannula and cartridge/hosepipe change.

urbangiraffe

I've been on Roche's Accu-Chek Insight pump for a couple of years, having upgraded from the Spirit Combo. I can't wait to come off it when the warranty expires. The main issue for me is that the user interface is soooo slow on the handset - there are so many screens and it takes an age to load each one - that frequently it times out mid process (whilst I have been distracted onto something else), and I forget that my bolus hasn't actually been delivered. The fact that this happens and that there is no reminder - "you entered carbs, did you want to deliver a bolus?" makes the pump, in my eyes, not fit for purpose. Due to this issue, I now frequently miss boluses and my long-term control has deteriorated massively. I have spoken with my DSN and the pump manufacturer regularly about this over the years I have been on it, the pump has been replaced, but no solution can be found. And so I have been stuck on it until the warranty runs out and the NHS Trust will agree to move me to a different pump. The handset also has regular electronic errors, and again it has been replaced but no solution found. So frustrating.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my Insight Pump. Prefilled cartridge lasts 3 days.
It is a bit on the slow side but the screen on Pump and Handset is easy to read EXCEPT on sunny days. Can't understand how you haven't seen if bolus has been delivered.