Pioglitazone ?

bumblejoy

Hi
Until approx 3 weeks ago I was taking Avandia and decided to stop after reading about the side effects. I had not linked how ill i was feeling and within days felt so much better. Weight has dropped off too and appetite has gone back to normal. I have made an appt to see my Dr to discuss this but could not get in until early Sept. In the mean time I received a letter yesterday from her asking me to stop taking Rosiglitazone and start Pioglitazone. I am dubios and don't really want to. What are everyone's thoughts and does this drug have the same side effects or concerns?
Would appreciate your thoughts.
Many thanks
Joy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You should discuss this matter fully with your own HCP at the earliest opportunity. In the States this Drug was the subject of an FDA advisory committee review (July 2010) which so far as we are aware hasn't yet been finalised. These concerns are due to raised risks of heart problems. There is some thought that this MAY be due to mis-prescribing by HCP's.

The BNF59, the UK prescribing bible has no mention yet of any concerns other than what is listed in the PIL (Patient information leaflet). If we get any positive information about this from the authorities then we will ensure it is posted on the Forum.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Forgot to say I was on Rosiglitazone until a Heart Op in 2004...........that was when they took me off a Glitazone totally.

Later on I found out about the Heart risks when taking this stuff. Now......was my Heart problem caused by this or was it just a co-incidence ??? I wasn't exactly a picture of health back then ....... :(

I wouldn't take one personally whatever they tell me it's good for !

Ken

bumblejoy

Thanks Ken,
I have decided I am not going to take it, not risking it. Have an appointment to discuss other meds with Dr at beginning of September. Watch this space.
Hope you are ok now.
Regards
Joy

Robbie34

I was on pioglitazone for about seven years until recently when I was prescribed Victoza. I had no ill effects, and only came off it because it is not approved to be taken as triple therapy with Victoza.
When I lose more weight I shall ask to go back on and ditch gliclazide.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
bumblejoy said:
Thanks Ken,
I have decided I am not going to take it, not risking it. Have an appointment to discuss other meds with Dr at beginning of September. Watch this space.
Hope you are ok now.
Regards
Joy

Thanks Joy. :D

Yep......so far so good ! Another all clear from the Consultant yesterday and I can now wait till Feb 2011 before I see him again. I have my bloods done at least every 3 months so I tend to tick some extra boxes and get the reults I need as well as for the Consultant's. They are used to my 'little ways' now so don't ever say anything......... :twisted: Life is pretty good now.

Ken

chrisq

until july of last year i too took rosiglitazone, then was put onto pioglitazone and felt dreadful like everyone else on this forum did not connect it too how ill i was feeling i had breathing problems,was falling a lot, and injuries to my right foot, because of the breathing problem and my constant nagging at my gp to send me for a chest x ray which led to a heart scan they found i had an enlarged heart, but how do we prove whether or not we had these problems prior to taking the medication, if you look up the side effects it says about breathing probs and foot injuries more common in women. so where do we go from here.
i printed the info off and showed it to my gp who took me off it straight away,i'm now on insulin + byetta and feel like a different person.

madge69

After trying everything else as Im insulin resistant, my doctor put me on pioglitazone, but i had a really bad reaction to it. I started to feel my joints were in pain and eventually had pain everywhere, but my doctor said it was not connected. Even the stong painkillers didnt numb the pain they just made me drowsy, I kept going back to my consultant and saying im in constant pain and eventually he took me off it, im now back to feeling normal again. I know everyone has different reactions to medications, so you just have to try it and see.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Seen todays news on Actos im still on this and the latest says it also can cause heart issues etc :(