FreeStyle Libre - New user

cath67plum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that although it says it is waterproof for 30 minutes, that it does lose some of its adhesiveness. I've started to use a tagaderm clear plaster over the top which is blumming brilliant (my daughter then decorates the sensor with a sticker!).

I haven't found that its a 10-15 minute delay, the rep said to me that it was 5 minutes. I haven't found the results vary too much and only finger prick test before driving if my blood sugar is under 5.5mmol with the sensor.

Its changed my life, I love it so much more than I could have anticiapted! Were making some savings each month as I now cant imagine going back to testing manually! This is the biggest +ve for me.........aside from the fact that my children think I'm cool now as I'm "part robot!"

xxxxx
What size tagaderm plaster do you use? Thanks

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't found the results vary too much and only finger prick test before driving if my blood sugar is under 5.5mmol with the sensor.

Fraid the rules are that insulin-dependent diabetics should test with a finger-stick before driving.

Your GP may ask you whether you do, as mine did before licence renewal.

Reactions: Rachy

Rachy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Congrats :)

Forget their preferred app. Try Glimp or the other free libre app instead.

It has a few flaws, but basically, the thing is a godsend, that the NHS should be providing (at least, as a cheap substitute for a CGM+Pump closed loop system) for every diabetic.

The thing is... it's subtle. For all the up-front benefits like not having to prick your finger to know what your BG is, I find the real value is more long-term: not getting single readings, seeing trends, and seeing them day after day, until you gradually gain a much better understanding of the disease, of food, of insulin, and how it's all affecting you.

The Libre gave me the confidence in my BG's necessary to experiment and improve my health. Without that confidence/situational awareness, I might never have made the previously insulin (basal reduction etc.) and diet (keto) changes necessary to affect real change in my wellbeing.

Hell, I probably would've felt so self-conscious about my "bad" readings that I still wouldn't even be telling healthcare professionals the truth, never mind actively consulting them and taking charge of my own wellbeing.

Thanks, I will check out Glimp. I think I was just worried about breaking the sensor as I have heard some phones can damage them.

I agree with what you have said. Even after just 2 weeks of wearing it, I am paying much better attention to my health. Before I kinda thought, screw this, I do my blood sugar test a few times a day, who knows what it's really doing.. Also the scabs on my fingers have healed already.

Big thumbs up from me so far.

leejones70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes - especially needing to prick my finger to test glucose level
To be honest, I've been really disappointed with FS Libre. Only one of my sensors has lasted the full 14 days. Most stop working after about 6 to 8 days of use. I have tried changing the location of the sensor. They replace the non-functioning sensors free of charge but it gets annoying having to call each week to explain that another sensor has stopped working. Was very disappointed, after placing a new sensor on my outer arm last week (the upper tricep), when I bumped the sensor on the door way and it came off - FS refused to replace it. That was on day 4 - so 10/14 ths of my £50 wasted. The device is great when it works but overall my experience has not been good.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange but for some people the FSL just doesn't seem to work. I've used about 16 sensors now. In that time 2 have been knocked off being my own fault and 1 just died. The dead one and 1 knocked off sensor were replaced by Abbott immediately. The other knocked off one only had 2 days left anyhow and really didn't stand a chance after the battering it got. The other 13 sensors have stuck very well and provided reliable readings 95% of the time. I will continue to use the system.

Mirabellae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far i am in love with my new sensor...
I started using Libre 2 months ago and discovered so much more, about how my blood sugar behaves.
Especially during the night...

During my normal daily routine (which includes doing light sport) i have had no problems so far...
And all my readings were consistent with my accu check mobile values.

3weeks ago i went to holidays in Italy which really put my sensor to the test..
Heat, salty water, more sweating during soccer games etc.
Due to this conditions i presume my first sensor fell off 1 day before expiration, but the second held perfectely all 14days long (it lost some of his adhesiveness around the edges tough)

Then i encountered 1 defective sensor ( readings were totally off and it also lost connection for several hours)
and 1 that fell off after 2 days.

For good luck i followed the advice from my Diabetes Doctor and brought 2 additional ones with me...
Thats why I would suggest anyone who plans to encounter stressfull sensor conditions ;D to eighter carry additional ones with them or buy some fixtape (which i am planning to try next time)

As for the replacement of this 2 sensors i will have to see; since i am not back from holidays jet..

Hope this was helpful :)

pierre.jay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick pro and con:
pro: uploads to diasend. I never have to download BG tests when i go to the doctor, he can see it already.
con: can't use their meter and phone to scan a sensor.