Disappearing Pen

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So last night I put my FA Novopen5 in the glove box of my car, along with my meter. On returning to the car after an evening out I did a test and then drove home. On getting home went to take all my kit in only I was unable to find my pen - it was not in the glove box, I could only assume, as it was sat on top of everything else in there it must of slide off and gone behind the box/dash board, I partly took the glove box out to see behind it last night - this morning in the light of day took a bit more of the dashboard out, turned the car up side down - still unable to find it! Bizarre.

2 things, fortunately I have a spare older pen so wasn't in danger and secondly OCDEM were amazing, called and left a voice message at 07:35 this morning, had a call back 10mins later asking which colour I wanted and that I can come and collect it any time today from reception - couldn't have been any better!

HasanG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the disposable pen & pen fill of novorapid on my prescription just in case this happens.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C it can't be! I had it in the car with me last night, there's just no way it can be there.............absolutely no wa................going home to check..............:hilarious:

Cycled UP to the clinic, never again!.........Headington Hill is steeper than you think! My BG will probably crash now after that.

Reactions: ickihun

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Scott-C it can't be! I had it in the car with me last night, there's just no way it can be there.............absolutely no wa................going home to check..............:hilarious:

Could you have taken it out of the glovebox when you tested your bg @slip ?

If you did I'm just wondering if it's fell between your seat and the handbrake/gear stick console, I've found all sorts stuck between there and hidden from view :rolleyes:

Reactions: Snapsy

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers @noblehead I did think that, hence turning the rest of the car up side down. I just don't want to believe it BUT it has just vanished!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @slip ,

I always have a couple spare.
I've only ever lost a Novopen twice. The first time 20 years ago whilst working at the MOD. I'd stopped to chat at security when I notice a Novopen on the desk/counter. Feeling my coat pocket mine was gone! Someone lost their insulin? I enquired. "Oh, that's what it is." Said the security guy. "It got handed in." Thanks, I said. It's mine! Lol

Then about 8 months ago? in my wife's car... It was in my pocket with the meter.
I'd driven to an eye apointment & she drove me back. I never found it!

Have you looked in the footwell where the carpet goes up to the bulkhead? It may have dropped down from the glove box slipped behind there...? Or caught in any loom wiring? Loose aftermarket radio looms tend to lurk near the glove box?

Reactions: ickihun and Snapsy

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers @Jaylee no after market radio in my car! but yes a load of wiring looms and circuit boards etc behind the glove box, I even nicked my hand trying to feel for the pen in amongst the gubbings and further in behind and down the dash/foot well area! had the carpets partly up too!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers @Jaylee no after market radio in my car! but yes a load of wiring looms and circuit boards etc behind the glove box, I even nicked my hand trying to feel for the pen in amongst the gubbings and further in behind and down the dash/foot well area! had the carpets partly up too!

Yeah, the ECU tends to be situated on the passenger side. Though the loom connections should be locked solid, try not to pull about anything airbag related... Lol.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @slip . Have you checked to make sure it's the right car? Just might be someone sitting there right now with an insulin pen, wondering where the bloody hell did this come from!!!!!!!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers @therower I'll check the VIN plate just to make sure, when I get back to 'my' car........but I'm sure I was driving a Porsche to the venue last night........?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @slip . Have you checked to make sure it's the right car? Just might be someone sitting there right now with an insulin pen, wondering where the bloody hell did this come from!!!!!!!

I remember when I was younger we were doing a family shop one day and my Grandad (who hated shops with a passion) said he was off out. When we got back to the car he wasn't there - well we found him shortly afterwards sat in someone else's car having a smoke (same make/model) having unlocked it with his key!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@slip I once lost my wedding ring in the car. Took it off to apply hand cream it fell off my lap and went.... I know not where! I cleared out the car, removed mats, cried, plotted evilly not to let my husband know and ordered a new one from the original jewellers then spent a few days hiding my left hand from him. Wore replacement but it was not the same to me.
Anyway, a year later I was selling the car and when I cleared it out again I found the ring in the back door pocket, which I swear I had checked several times!
Went back to wearing the original, which feels lovely, but now I have a useless spare wedding ring.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember when I was younger we were doing a family shop one day and my Grandad (who hated shops with a passion) said he was off out. When we got back to the car he wasn't there - well we found him shortly afterwards sat in someone else's car having a smoke (same make/model) having unlocked it with his key!

Was it a Ford perchance?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I swear my car eats anything I take in there! Lost a parking ticket the other day..

It will turn up, in a year or two.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So last night I put my FA Novopen5 in the glove box of my car, along with my meter. On returning to the car after an evening out I did a test and then drove home. On getting home went to take all my kit in only I was unable to find my pen - it was not in the glove box, I could only assume, as it was sat on top of everything else in there it must of slide off and gone behind the box/dash board, I partly took the glove box out to see behind it last night - this morning in the light of day took a bit more of the dashboard out, turned the car up side down - still unable to find it! Bizarre.

2 things, fortunately I have a spare older pen so wasn't in danger and secondly OCDEM were amazing, called and left a voice message at 07:35 this morning, had a call back 10mins later asking which colour I wanted and that I can come and collect it any time today from reception - couldn't have been any better!

I did the same thing a few weeks ago - drove home, only to find I'd lost all my insulin, and my phone, at the same time. Went back and checked the glove box, but nowhere to be found - about 15 minutes later, I realised I'd brought both the insulin and the phone into the kitchen, where they were both sitting safely side-by-side; but it was a worrying 15 minutes!