kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Afternoon all :)

I now have a Medtronic Veo pump and I'm looking to get it insured.

I was just wondering what companies you've all used for your insurance and your personal experience with any claims you've made?

I have Google'd pump insurance nut there's a vast array of providers and quotes popping up.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapsy and azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As @azure says your household insurance should cover your pump, just give them a ring rather than fork out for unnecessary (and often expensive) pump insurance.

Mdadds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
M
Afternoon all :)

I now have a Medtronic Veo pump and I'm looking to get it insured.

I was just wondering what companies you've all used for your insurance and your personal experience with any claims you've made?

I have Google'd pump insurance nut there's a vast array of providers and quotes popping up.

Thanks in advance

My house insurance covers my pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kimrooney89

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
Mine is included on my contents insurance. It also includes home and away so wherever I am it's insured. I was told when I received it that your household insurance was the place to insure it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My husband put mine on our household insurance for me - they categorised it as a 'disability aid'.

Ever since, he's called it 'your disability aid'. Mr S is a real charmer....!

:rolleyes:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine's on my home contents. It's not named as the personal item value cover is high enough for it to be covered.

@melodiemakerit - pumps cost about £2000-£3000 so replacement is way more than your household excess?

eabhamurphy

Apologies for my ignorance but nobody has mentioned pump insurance before. So I don't know how it could be robbed as it's always on me and if it breaks I was told Medtronic have a good product care so I didn't figure it was necessary but then the same argument could be made for my iPhone and I insure that! However it appears to be something I should have done! The idea of not having it at all now makes me freak out! Has anyone ever made a claim or heard of someone who has? It's kind of obvious now that you might insure something so expensive and life sustaining, odd it didn't occur to me as necessary! Think I'm still dizzy trying to figure out my ratios and basal rates.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies for my ignorance but nobody has mentioned pump insurance before. So I don't know how it could be robbed as it's always on me and if it breaks I was told Medtronic have a good product care so I didn't figure it was necessary but then the same argument could be made for my iPhone and I insure that! However it appears to be something I should have done! The idea of not having it at all now makes me freak out! Has anyone ever made a claim or heard of someone who has? It's kind of obvious now that you might insure something so expensive and life sustaining, odd it didn't occur to me as necessary! Think I'm still dizzy trying to figure out my ratios and basal rates.
My pump will be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer if it has a fault, no questions asked, under its warranty. Not an insurance issue. But if I should drop it, crush it, throw it out of the window or forget to take it off when I go swimming - that's my responsibility, and the CCG is under no obligation to fund a replacement or repair if it comes a cropper thanks to an accident or mishap on my part. That's why insurance is recommended.

This is my first pump, and I cannot get a new one for four years after I got the pump, because that's when the warranty expires - that's when I can get a new pump from the CCG - funded. If I break it before then, and can't afford to replace it if it's not insured, well, I'd be back on MDI. No thanks! I've got another 2.5 years with this pump, and it's very much insured.

Your home insurance should cover it as a specific item if you ask them @eabhamurphy - I don't even think our insurers increased our premium even, when we rang them.

:)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Mine's on my home contents. It's not named as the personal item value cover is high enough for it to be covered.

@melodiemakerit - pumps cost about £2000-£3000 so replacement is way more than your household excess?
perhaps like myself and noblehead this person has the omnipod --- a replacement PDM that controls the disposable pods is £250.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insurance pumps for me - my home insurance asked if it would be kept in a safe and charged almost as much extra per month as separate insurance. They also have no idea how important it is which the separate company do.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes home insurance covered mine - cost £28 to add (and most of that was an admin fee) so cheaper than pump insurance.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was advised by Roche to get Insurance not under house contents but with company that just deals with pumps so any problems may be dealt with quicker