Type 1 First tattoo

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

Im getting my first tattoo on my wrist in a few weeks time.

Im a type 1 diabetic, does anyone have any advice for before/during/after the tattoo?

I have read up on it but it would be great to get some first hand advice for you lovely people!

Thanks in advance, any tips are welcome!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tubzi. First of all are you on any medication to help thin your blood? A lot of diabetics take aspirin, if you do be aware this can have an effect on how quickly you stop bleeding. I'm not going to advise you to change any of your medication but on my last tattoo I stopped my aspirin a week prior to the tattoo being done. If you're unsure contact your GP.
As for the tattooing day make sure you have an extra store of fast acting carbs to hand, what with stress and unknown time scale you don't want to be going low.
Tell your tattooist about your diabetes, a professional tattooist will be more than happy to work with you and accommodate your needs.
After the tattoo follow the advice given to you, it's easy to want to show your tattoo to everyone but it won't look to good if you get it infected.
Most importantly enjoy the experience and enjoy your tattoo.

AlanaSwang

I agree that you shouldn't take an aspirin while you're getting a tattoo. First time I had a problem with bleeding because of an aspirin. But second time I didn't get it and it was fine. I even will get a new tattoo soon ( I want to cover my scar after appendectomy) and I'm thinking about to get some colorful tattoo but it's more complicated because it can be some problem with ink..Have you ever heard something about it? That color ink more dangerous??

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi @Tubzi!
Make your tattoo artist aware you are diabetic.
Have a rough idea of how long your tattoo will take, this will allow you to check your BG level during and have a drink and/or snack, should you need it.
Be aware that your healing time may be slightly longer than the tattoo artist advises you, due to you being T1

Last edited:

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I agree that you shouldn't take an aspirin while you're getting a tattoo. First time I had a problem with bleeding because of an aspirin. But second time I didn't get it and it was fine. I even will get a new tattoo soon ( I want to cover my scar after appendectomy) and I'm thinking about to get some colorful tattoo but it's more complicated because it can be some problem with ink..Have you ever heard something about it? That color ink more dangerous??
There's a higher number of people who are allergic to the pigment in pink/red ink, however I don't think there's any way you can find this out before getting the tattoo done

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also it will hurt .. but soon stops hurting when its finished ..
Don't forget to return and show off your tattoo :)

Reactions: porl69

Tubzi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd forgotten to post my tattoo!
Im getting another one tomorrow now
da573109d1374e5eadb4931cbe5898c7.jpg

Reactions: Blueyez

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, im looking to get my first tattoo done sometime soon, and my question is have u been told you couldnt get it in any areas?