Having trouble going to the bathroom on a low carb diet?

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Have your doctor put you on Metformin, that will get you going!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to add that I am still, apparently, excreting more than I am eating.

At the moment I seem to be losing just under a pound a day without any major change in diet (apart from the lack of the daily Guinness).

I was pushing 12 stone 4 when we got back. I am now 11 stone 13.4 pounds and waiting for the weight to stabilise.

So people who in the past who have accused me of being full of sh*t may have a certain amount of truth on their side at times. Hopefully not for much longer.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't experienced this problem, and count myself lucky. A few things I do that might be the reason for my regularity are:
  • I eat a large amount and variety of veg, particularly cruciferous, including homemade sauerkraut.
  • I eat kefir cheese and drink kefir whey daily (I love fermented foods and I understand they are excellent for gut health). I make my own.
  • I drink a huge amount, in excess of 5l per day.
  • I don't eat low fat, and - bear with me here, it's just a guess - I think the fat in my diet is likely to, erm, ease the way, as it were....
@jettcrash11 the body is pretty adaptable and with luck yours might without too much trouble for much longer get used to the new low carb state of affairs. Hope it's just an initial blip.

:)
I find double cream does it for me. Increasing fat intake will increase bile secretion into the lower intestine, and this is a natural lubricant. It will also help prevent, even remove, gallstones (which are a direct hazard of a low fat diet, by the way)