So confused about blood sugar spikes

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so as you probably know from many of my previous posts, I'm not too good with knowing how to control my bloods. However, the last week I've been trying my best and I've had good sugars to an extent. However, I ALWAYS spike around 10-11am and it's baffled me. Here is a sample:

I take 30 lantus every morning around 9am.
I take 1:1 insulin:carbs ratio

Mon:
Fasting: 7.7
I ate 35g oatmeal (I think this counts for the spikes too) and took 4 bolus.
2 hours later my bloods were 16.1 ??

All the other meals I am eating is mainly salad with chicken, tuna, steamed veg etc, nothing carby at all.

Tues:
Fasting: 7.0
Again 35g oatmeal, took 4 bolus
2 hours later it was 18.3 :/

Weds:
I figured it's probably the oats so....
Fasting: 5.4
I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast (JUST eggs), I didn't take any bolus.
2 hours later it was 15.4 ????

And today:
Fasting: 7.3
Ate scrambled eggs again with bacon
Now my bloods are 15.3.

I'm really confused. Could it be I need to take more lantus? I'm not having hypos at night anymore which is good, and I know I probably need to eventually lower the lantus but this is what my adviser told me to do right now. Could it be that the lantus takes a while to become effective and basically the 10-11am period is when it runs out?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As I think we've mentioned before, what was your reading at 4 hours? That's the one that tells us whether you are using enough insulin.

At two hours, you are typically at the peak of the spike for food. It may simply be that you need to take your insulin half an hour before you eat, rather than just before you eat to control the spike, but if you are high 4 hours afterwards, then you probably need more insulin.

Reactions: Sibyl

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as the just egg mornings, I still have to inject some insulin for a no carb breakfast. Guess it's the morning rise that everyone talks about. This game is all trial and error and just when you think you've got it cracked the rules change! Keep at it.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh I haven't been doing 4 hours! I'll do that and see how it is. And I'm learning so much on these forums haha

Reactions: Sibyl

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
maybe you need more basal insulin. I had spikes too tho' after being ill for a while and it affected the absorbtion of the Novorapid. This week, although I am a T1, was given Metformin to support a better absorbtion and it works perfect. Also you need to work out the carb ratio, how much carb you can eat against 1 unit of insulin.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update on this! I've managed to keep my blood glucose between 4-8 most days for the past month - my nurse was thrilled and I've been feeling much better about my diabetes! I had another inexplicible high this morning though!

Woke up with 6.9 (Took 22 lantus - been dropped to that which fixed 95% of my hypos)
Had 50g of carbs, took 5 units of humalog

4 hours later, bg is 22.9!!! I was shocked and felt incredibly ill. I changed out my pen in case it was that! I think I also might have a cold but wow that was a big jump!!

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to take insulin first thing in the morning even though I do not eat breakfast very often! If I do eat, my carb ratio is double that of what it is at other times of the day. Its sadly trial and error until you find a fit. If I am not eating breakfast, I typically take 4 units of lantus in the morning if my bloods are ok first thing. Also, I find oatmeal really sends me high, have you tried another cereal with the same carbs to see if the effect is the same?
Becky

Reactions: Mirabellae

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I rarely check mine 2 hrs after I eat. And I take my Lantus at like 5:30-6:00 not 9. I don't eat oatmeal though. That stuff, stuff like white bread, I have to take more bolus.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Remember that when u get really high, it can be much harder to reduce - eg:
3u novorapid will take me from:
10 to hypo
But
3u novorapid will barely reduce me from 21 to 18.

It may be that you're the same...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to eat something right when I get up. Nothing carby or my day is shot. I have avocado. Just a fatty bf. Then an hour later I take another small bolus to stop the morning rise and catch the tail end of my meal.

In the absence of carbs protein needs to be bolused for for the gluconeogenesis conversion of protein to bs. I always eat vlc so not sure if that's a meal by meal thing but I know I turn protein to bs quickly. I bolus for half my protein. If I were to eat two eggs, call it 12 g of protein I'd bolus for 6 carbs. However in the morning I'd bolus for all of it as I'm very insulin resistant in the morning. I did loads of testing to figure this out and your miles may vary so test test test.