Confirmed RH

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I haven't had any fruit today, so it's looking like that is a no no. That's good to know about dairy products, I had no idea! There's so much to learn but I'm definitely going in the right direction :) thank you

There is no reason why you can't have fruit, this is why a monitor is so important.
Small pieces throughout the day, a few berries and frozen berries in full fat yoghurt is so satisfying and filling, and there is lots of good things in fruit. Depending on how much you can tolerate.
Testing and monitoring can help you so much!

Reactions: Mollynell1

doriandun

firstly you need to get out your head the notion of low carb diet or eating, the truth is with RH, your body is being starved of nutrients and minerals, and unless you find a way to somehow reboot, or chip away at your bodies natural defense mechanism to protect you from the adverse effects of sugar, the wall will continue to stay up 'hence insulin resitance'.

Your best bet is to do away with carbs completely and any carbs you do eat comes from green vegetables.

the reason why i will stress no carbs, is because carbs [glucose] can remain in your blood stream for anything upto 72 hours, and todays carb count, could still be added to the carbs you eat mid week, and thus you feel the effect, days down the line and wondering 'how come'

As for starving yourself or fasting days on end, in my opinion, is not practical in the 21st century,as your body wears and tears on a daily basis, and if your body is currently been starved, 'insulin resistance', why add to it's current burden

Over the years i have tried various food items, simply to see the effect it has on the body

lettuce, spinach = although i would like to eat more, it does not last long in the fridge, so i have cut it out completely - not value for money, and when the food industry starts championing a product, 'inspector gadget instantly switches on'

avocado = does not balance blood sugar for longer than 2 hours, and it's omega 3 to 6 ratio is not pretty
virgin coconut oil = again does not balance blood sugar for more than two hours, but good for oil pulling [keeping the gums and teeth clean] - i have tried various brands

cucumber = taste good, and is my alternative to having no spinach or lettuce, packed with vitamins and minerals, portable, and last easily for a week without go off.

spring onions or red onions = had no adverse effect, so i add them to the cucumber, finely chopped

tomato = stokes ups craving for sugar or more carbs, i have tried eating a handful i.e. 8 to 10 piece of cherry tomatoes with a meal and although i do not black out, i do feel a crave coming on
carrots have a similar effect to tomato

mushrooms = interesting one, has had no effect on my blood sugar, so i eat them, was never a fan, but hey
bread of any form is a no no, so no muffins, bagels or buns
biscuits,cakes - are no,no's
no sauces , that includes mayonnaise, ketchup etc.
no fruit juice, even though i did try red grape juice for a two to three week period, it does balance blood sugar [a cup every 3 to 4 hours] , not entirely sure why , the sugar content, had adverse effects on the body's healing process
fruits - apart from lemon, i would stay clear of everything else, even avacado, from my experience, creates hunger pangs within two hours

no milk, the sugar build up slowly in the blood stream,and it will create cravings,
cheese is also a no, no, - not only it it extremely acidic, but you start to feel, well for me the effect of light headed after 10 slices[about to blackout]

chicken - for me serves no purpose no matter how much i eat, does not full me up, or give me satiety

i have opted for fish instead of meat on most occasions, mainly because it's ph level indicate it is a low acid, and it is not as high in omega 6, in comparison to omega 3.

during the week, i will have fish at least 3 times the fish i choose would be fresh salmon or sardines [the can will do, as a substitute], along side cucumbers, spring onions, it can be eaten for lunch or dinner, and easy to carry on long journey's.

the fish is used for it's omega 3 content and other nutrients it provides.

eggs must be served with sausage or bacon for it to work on balancing the blood sugar, it would keep my blood sugar intact for easily 4 to 5 hour at a time. - the only thing about the egg, sausage and bacon, is it is very acidic in ph levels and high in omega 6. - this is my weekend treat, and on occasions, will add cheesy beans 'um um um, scrumptious', as they say naughty but nice...

the portion would be 1 egg, 2 strips of bacon or sausage per plate with some mushrooms[two plates] for breakfast

The big one for me is brown linseed, the seed itself not the oil, this has caused me to loose a whole load of weight in two weeks, this has been acknowledged by everybody i meet, who had not seen me over that period of time, although i do walk at least 10 to 15 miles a week, just by habit.

Linseed from what i have read can mimic the role of insulin and can act as the key, to allowing nutrients and minerals into the cells, i am still in the process of testing this and will have a better picture in 3 months, and again in 6 months to a year, if i start seeing the body heal. - i will take a handful 3 times a day, just chew and swallow

Although many will testify chia seed is just a effective, due to the carb content i have excluded it from my diet

I drink apple cider vinegar with lemon and water [at least 1 litre a day] just to keep the body ph levels alkaline, i use the lemon for it's healing properties, to repair cells and tissue damage, a bottle [apple cider vinegar] of 330ml can easily last a week

So to come to a close, for me, the road back to a healthy mind and body, is a bit of veg, high omega 3 from linseed and fish, keeping my ph levels in an alkaline state, and from time to time indulging myself, as you will have also observed from above, is cooking food items is to a minimum, apart from the grilling of the fish, and steaming mushrooms.

my daily work involves using the mind a lot, and my current set up is providing me with the sustenance needed to maintain my energy levels during the day

good luck and all the best.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Mollynell1

lindisfel

Expert
Surprised you say sausage must be eaten with eggs! :) A lot of sausage has carb filler as well as meat/fat. I eat a lot of eggs with lashings of olive oil and have no problems with feeling hungry or B.G. issues! It is best not to make too many uncrossable red lines, we are all different and eating to meter is what guides most of us. Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I totally agree with @lindisfel.

You seem to restrict your balance too much.

It is interesting seeing how others cope with the condition and because it is, we all have different tastes and different tolerances to food, the lemon in your drink even though it is a small amount would spike me and kick me out of ketosis.
I think doing no carbs is achievable but not your list, no criticism, but I believe that being in ketosis is preferable than no carbs, as it can be so restrictive.
A very, very low carb with higher saturated fat is open to individual preferences and finding that balance works for most.
I love chicken, I like salad vegetables, but others you have listed are not to my taste or my pocket!
Have you problems with polyunsaturated fats?
I do!
It seems that some saturated and monounsaturated fats are good for RH ers, but most foods that have too much polyunsaturated fats are not good.
It's a problem that goes straight to our organs, I'm told!
Hence the fatty liver and kidney and the high liver and kidney function tests when you also have the insulin resistance.
Since being in ketosis, all these organ problems have gone!
It is so good you have found your balance.

Intermittent fasting is important to me. It gives my mind a rest about thinking about food. If you fast your blood glucose levels stay in normal levels, that is what your body should enjoy!
You can become too obsessive about eating and eating too much.
If you are not having fluctuations in your blood glucose levels and you should not be hungry, as long as you eat each day, you should not have problems with fasting.
The idea that you need to eat every three hours is only when you have carbs, not when you are in ketosis!

Mollynell1

Type of diabetes
HCP
Got my monitor today, had a little play.
Home from work - 4.5
Half an hour after tea - 5.9
2 hrs after tea - 5

I'm not sure what it means but seems to be quite steady :) I've been very strict and it's definitely paying off, feeling so much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The most beneficial way of using your monitor is to take readings to find your intolerance to foods.
If you are not sure how to do this, there is a sticky at the top of our forum page.
But basically you test pre meal, then two hours later. If your reading (post meal) is 2 mmols higher than your pre meal then that food or combination of foods is doing this.
If it is below, that's ok. Portion size has a bearing.
But with RH, being in or near normal blood levels is always best, no spike, no hypos.

Those figures you quoted are really good.
Normal blood glucose levels are usually between 4.0 & 6.0 mmols.

Best wishes.