Type 1 1st retinal screening-transport?

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the appointment through for my first screening. My local NHS trust where I'm seen lost their contract and it's now only done in a neighbouring trust.
They have advised me I can't drive for at least 2 hours afterwards, possibly longer. The closest clinic is 26 miles away and I don't have anyone who could take me.
Has anyone had any luck getting transport arranged via the hospital for this? I have no idea what local public transport I'd need to get (the return journey is the one that would stress me especially if I can't see very well).

Thanks for any help!
Kat x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last time I went I just went into town, and had a coffee until my eyes recovered.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had the appointment through for my first screening. My local NHS trust where I'm seen lost their contract and it's now only done in a neighbouring trust.
They have advised me I can't drive for at least 2 hours afterwards, possibly longer. The closest clinic is 26 miles away and I don't have anyone who could take me.
Has anyone had any luck getting transport arranged via the hospital for this? I have no idea what local public transport I'd need to get (the return journey is the one that would stress me especially if I can't see very well).

Thanks for any help!
Kat x

I'm not sure you'd get help with transport for that. I have to travel a similar distance and just use public transport. However, I do wear sunglasses afterwards as I find it rests my eyes best. If anyone comments, I just say I had an eye examination and have to wear them for a while.

Perhaps check out the public transport options and see if that's feasible?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have had a couple of appointments like the scenario you mention -- I just sat in the hospital café for about 3 hours after the appointment until I could safely drive again

not much fun but safety on the roads comes first ... :)

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Right choice not to drive yourself. They say up to 2 hours, but the ones we use sometimes linger for up to 4 hours. Vision will be blurry and your pupils will be quite dilated. You'll still be able to see, but reading is quite impossible. Waiting for hours for the drops to pass can be very tedious. Perhaps if you decide to do so, you'll have to listen to an audio book.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had my first retinal screening today and was told by the technician that if I chose to drive that would void my insurance, put three points on my licence and carry a hefty fine. It was dull all day here but the light made it impossible for me to keep my eyes open. Even when I arrived home my son had to close the curtains against the light. My sight was only blurry for about an hour but the light sensitivity lasted about three hours after the drops were put into my eyes.
Have a word with your GP or Practise nurse, they can arrange patient transport though I can't say if this is applicable for this type of appt. If not, I'm afraid it is a taxi or a bus. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: azure

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I managed going on the bus quite ok, just with sunglasses for the trip home. I had my test done at a branch of Specsavers, maybe you could swap to an authorised optician nearer home?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You could ask your gp about hospital transport but doubt very much you will get it.
I get the bus there to have mine then get a taxi home as it's at a large gp practice so no cafe.