Random question how did you learn Fire safety? or have you never learnt it?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So bassically I was just thinking about this as bassically:
I actually never learned about fire safety at school. the only times we learned about fire safety were drills at school and college and occasionally in cooking lessons.
But bassically this is what made me learn about fire safety. In 2015 bassically I smelt something burning but I thought it was just my brother left a piece of toast in the toaster. (I forgot he was out that day). My mum was with her candle and it turned out to be that it melted through the wax and was starting to go on a small fire. I didn't know much about fire safety that day and my mum asked me to get a glass a water. (Ps none of my family knows much about fire safety) and my mum managed to put it out that way. I dont know if that was the right thing to do or not. I dunno how the fire didn't manage to get onto the carpet because my mum stupidly put the candle near the carpet. Ever since I've learnt about fire safety myself. (Through the internet and the local stations website.). this sounds silly but I've always had a fear of my mum doing the same thing again and it doesn't work or my mum leaves it not fully out by mistake.
Here's question. In the rare case of being in say a house fire. You were able to get out but you didn't have your diabetic supplies with you? How would get more say if places were shut and you don't have a prescription on you etc...?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Here's question. In the rare case of being in say a house fire. You were able to get out but you didn't have your diabetic supplies with you? How would get more say if places were shut and you don't have a prescription on you etc...?

If you needed insulin you could just go to a hospital, I had to do this not long after I was diagnosed as I dropped my last insulin vial on the kitchen floor.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So bassically I was just thinking about this as bassically:
I actually never learned about fire safety at school. the only times we learned about fire safety were drills at school and college and occasionally in cooking lessons.
But bassically this is what made me learn about fire safety. In 2015 bassically I smelt something burning but I thought it was just my brother left a piece of toast in the toaster. (I forgot he was out that day). My mum was with her candle and it turned out to be that it melted through the wax and was starting to go on a small fire. I didn't know much about fire safety that day and my mum asked me to get a glass a water. (Ps none of my family knows much about fire safety) and my mum managed to put it out that way. I dont know if that was the right thing to do or not. I dunno how the fire didn't manage to get onto the carpet because my mum stupidly put the candle near the carpet. Ever since I've learnt about fire safety myself. (Through the internet and the local stations website.). this sounds silly but I've always had a fear of my mum doing the same thing again and it doesn't work or my mum leaves it not fully out by mistake.
Anything that stops a fire from spreading and causes little or no damage is the right thing to do, no matter how it seems at the time although water isn't always the right answer - for example, if a pan full of cooking oil is on fire, pouring water on it will cause the burning oil to spread, because it will float on the water (in that sort of a case, get a fire blanket or a wet dishcloth, turn off the ring if it's still switched on, and remove and cover the pan with the blanket or cloth which will suffocate the flames).

Fire safety is as much about learning not to do things like putting candles near carpets and such like, as it is about fighting fires - candles are a cause of lots of fires, particularly when left unattended, and one of the commonest problems is leaving a candle in a plastic bath, believing that it's safe, which it would be if the bath were cast iron or enamelled steel. Unfortunately most baths are made from some kind of plastic nowadays, which is quite flammable, and emits lots of toxic smoke when it burns. All naked flames are a potential fire hazard.

The recent, horrific fire in London has made us all think about fire safety a lot more and there's nothing silly about that, believe me; it's just common sense.

So far as your question about supplies is concerned I agree, go to the nearest Accident and Emergency clinic; they're normally open 24/7 and lack of supplies is a definite, genuine emergency.

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Fire can spread incredibly fast. If one is ever unsure if one can put out a fire it is best to leave earlier rather than later. The gasses created by the burn are often more dangerous than the heat and attempting to put out a fire in a room full of smoke should be avoided. Do take care that if you live in an appartment building you should always sound the fire alarm and call for help (even if you do not live in an appartment building of course).
I agree with the abovementioned. I work at a hospital and it is a welcome change of pace if people need to come by and pick up medication. We would give it out happily! We have systems for seeing if someone has gotten insulin before and we easily check the journals to see if someone needs the medicine. The only exception is narcotics as that requires a lot of paperwork and most doctors are very hesitant to dispense it as an emergency perscription. But we all understand how important insulin is and in worst case you will get to sleep over at our ward!

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
@jay hay-char yeah I already knew about cooking fire safety as we had paperwork on a lot of fire safety during cooking lessons at college and school as the top cause of house fires is due to cooking. Also with candles it can also be caused by just knocking them over by a cat/or dog. I read this article that even a hamster caused a fire once. That it escaped and managed to turn the gas knob on a oven causing it's cage to catch on fire. Sometimes fires can't always be prevented like back in 2015 a house just the 3rd road from me their fridge exploded and caught on fire. (read it on the local news)
@SugarDaddy91 yeah like the best thing to if a fire did happen is to get out leave your pets behind and don't go back in (That would probably be the hardest thing to do but small rodents are unlikely to survive if a fire did happen). You don't always know if or when a fire happens that's why you should have a smoke alarm. (that just reminded me the ground floor needs batteries in) When I go to bed I always leave my phone and diabetic supplies on my bedside table there for if I had to get out I can quickly grab them.