Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi everyone,

This summer I will be attempting to walk one million steps for Diabetes UK (yes, the "other ones"!)

If you have a spare 20p down the back of the sofa - or just want to know what I look like (and the child when she is not Katy Perry) take a look at my fundraising page.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/katherine-probert1

I'll post updates as I go along. Start date is 1st July.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing the challenge too - I've added a little donation to your page :)

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
T
I'm doing the challenge too - I've added a little donation to your page :)
Thank you. Good luck. Please post progress here if you like. X

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thank you for the support (and cold hard cash!).
I'm on 27,510 steps right now, hopefully a few more to come today.
I suddenly am thinking of the proclaimers song....................and you will walk 500 miles :D

Reactions: Diakat and Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thank you @Diakat :) I'm on 45.44k steps :)
That's brilliant @Polgara.
We can keep encouraging each other. What is your plan for rainy days? I just know that I'll be more reluctant then. I guess I could climb the stairs at work all lunchtime, or walk around the boardroom if it was free!
51k for me last night. I am hoping to bank a few now as I think the school holidays will take me out of my routine and make this harder.

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So, yesterday I passed the quarter of a million mark. @Polgara did it a while back. I am pleased to be in the top 200 on the leader board, but am amazed by the people that seem to be completing the whole thing already. Do they never sit down? Work? Eat? Sleep?

Reactions: himtoo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, yesterday I passed the quarter of a million mark. @Polgara did it a while back. I am pleased to be in the top 200 on the leader board, but am amazed by the people that seem to be completing the whole thing already. Do they never sit down? Work? Eat? Sleep?

Some people are just incredibly busy.

During Diabetes Week, I encountered a lady who was just all over the place at the particular event I was attending. I saw her at the children's races, and helping out with some moving of exhibitors' equipment, and various other places.

The moment my jaw dropped was when she described her weekly routine. She had an active, but part-time job, then did some local magazine deliveries, ran a walking group, and liked to run. She told me that one day that week she had walked 23 miles. As the only significance of that day was it was Tuesday, Wednesday or whatever, and the activity of the day typical for the given day, I just can't imagine her weekly activity totals. She was tracking things with a FitBit, and apparently did over 100 miles a week.

I was tired just listening to her. She was no spring chicken either

Well done on picking up the challenge anyone who is doing it.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done @Diakat !

I've slowed down this week - I tripped and hurt my toe (possibly broken) on Monday morning, so no morning walks as I can't get my boots on. Luckily?!? Ofsted appeared at school - so I have still done 10 000 steps a day despite the ridiculous limp, as I've been doing insane hours at work. Hoping I can get back to proper walking soon as I am really missing my mornings in the park

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well done @Diakat !

I've slowed down this week - I tripped and hurt my toe (possibly broken) on Monday morning, so no morning walks as I can't get my boots on. Luckily?!? Ofsted appeared at school - so I have still done 10 000 steps a day despite the ridiculous limp, as I've been doing insane hours at work. Hoping I can get back to proper walking soon as I am really missing my mornings in the park
Oh no! A friend broke her toe (doing a cartwheel at the age of 27) and it was so painful. Hope you are feeling better soon and good luck with the inspection.

sarahb84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I log my steps by logging in via my phone but the log of previous days seems to have disappeared and as I don't update it everyday I can't remember what I've tracked is it just me or is everyone's the same!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I log my steps by logging in via my phone but the log of previous days seems to have disappeared and as I don't update it everyday I can't remember what I've tracked is it just me or is everyone's the same!
Oh no! I use Google fit and it keeps each day on a graph. What app are you using and does it have different display options? If it gives a monthly total you may be able to load that.

sarahb84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no! I use Google fit and it keeps each day on a graph. What app are you using and does it have different display options? If it gives a monthly total you may be able to load that.

I just use my daily log off my phone (apple health app). I have just no idea up to what date I have tracked till on the diabetes uk site as it's not showing the table of logged steps anymore. I'll have to log in via my laptop to see if it shows on there