Freestyle libre (again)

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So after wanting to try a CGM for ages I finally get offered to trial a freestyle libre through the NHS due to very low Hba1c. I got it fitted on Friday and thought it was awesome, but 2 days later the sensor started hurting and it fell off a couple of hours later and the monitor just say "connected to the computer" when it isn't! Bloody ridiculous, I really wanted to have a go and maybe use it long term and then this happens after 2 days! Any advice from anyone?!

SJGrieves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In you're information pack you should have got a 0800 contact number. I'd give them a ring and explain what's happened they'll probably send you out a replacement sensor.

Reactions: alhubb

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine done exactly the same!! 2 months worth of sensors that I bought. No advice I'm afraid other than hopefully Abbott will sort out the sticky bit as so many people have had the same problem

D

Deleted Account

Mine did the same. I phoned the 0800 number and got a replacement.
Second time round, I stuck it on with tape for two weeks.
Ok for the winter but unsightly for short sleeves.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been been using it for a year and I've only had it fall off once randomly, and once before the end date. Worthwhile to put it almost under your arm so you don't catch it on doors etc and it's not put under undue pressure. Otherwise email Abbott and they will send replacements within the week!

Katey14064

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am on some great libre Facebook groups who seem to know loads..One tip I got was using rock tape to keep it on

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone for the great advice as usual. I'll definitely give Rock tape a go!

Jhinchley1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm glad you want to pay for the sensors at £50 pound a piece as the NHS don't fund it yet and they only last 2 weeks so that's a £100 pound a month, £1200 hundred pound for the year. Not at all worth it

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jhinchley1985 It is worth it if you want to know which direction your blood glucose levels are going, want to test more than the usual 7-10 times a day, have a child and want to test them during their sleep to check their ok, to improve your HbA1c if you're struggling, want to see how carbs affect your BG levels, to test when participating in sport, there are many different reasons why people like using it, simply stating they are not worth it is a personal decision and is usually based on affordability and I do not see the NHS approving this for general use anytime soon and particularly when Abbott have built a successful consumer business out of this, but I think we are very fortunate to have such a device available which offers so many positives :)

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Jhinchley1985 it can be an amazing tool, and I feel lowering my Hb1ac consistently, reducing hypos and enabling me to keep better control with unpredictable shift work makes it worth the cost, even though it does eat up a considerable part of my pay check. I've been using it for almost a year now and my diabetes control has never been better over the twenty years I have been diabetic.

Caerdobi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you want to pay for the sensors at £50 pound a piece as the NHS don't fund it yet and they only last 2 weeks so that's a £100 pound a month, £1200 hundred pound for the year. Not at all worth it

Mine absolutely revolutionised my monitoring; I went from a reluctant "few times a week" fingerpricking - if that - to checking my blood 20-30 times a day. Also my retinopathy has now stabilised and my HbA1c has dropped considerably.

So I'd consider the extra years I can get to see my children and have all four working limbs to be well worth the sacrifice of cutting Sky TV out which is what I did.

Shazzle80

Hi there. I've had this once, it was put on too soon after I'd showered. I rang and said it had come off and they replaced it :)

I always put a tagaderm plaster over the top now, at £48 I don't want to be replacing them and it helps if I want to go swimming or a nice long bath!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jhinchley1985 It is worth it if you want to know which direction your blood glucose levels are going, want to test more than the usual 7-10 times a day, have a child and want to test them during their sleep to check their ok, to improve your HbA1c if you're struggling, want to see how carbs affect your BG levels, to test when participating in sport, there are many different reasons why people like using it, simply stating they are not worth it is a personal decision and is usually based on affordability and I do not see the NHS approving this for general use anytime soon and particularly when Abbott have built a successful consumer business out of this, but I think we are very fortunate to have such a device available which offers so many positives :)

100% this I've been using the Libre constantly for about 18 months and yes it's expensive but completely worth it, just to add it's revolutionised the way I monitor my levels now sometimes scan like 20-30 times a day to see what's going on.

Reactions: isjoberg