Can Type 2 be caused by Pancreatic/gall bladder probs?

ferret22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Asking as awaiting scan for gall bladder stones/inflamed pancreas after visit to doc's earlier this week & needing more blood tests as results on last weeks not right for some reason

ferret22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed type 2 in Nov. after ending up in hospital with TIA & diabetes symptoms mistaken for Menopause/wrong diagnosis for 3 years. I thought the occasional tummy pain IBS flare up or tummy bug or poss Kidney problem but No, Had quite a few short 1-2 days episodes with these symptoms for a few years but never went to doc's as by the time I got an appointment symptoms gone

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
@ferret22 - Damage to the pancreas can cause diabetes, but I think it would be Type 3c in that case.
sorry this is so belated but I've only just seen it. My type 2 diabetes was caused by damage to my pancreas resulting from keyhole gall bladder removal surgery that was more serious than had been anticipated.

SimonCrox

Most folk in UK have type 2 diabetes, about 5% or less have type 1 diabetes; but there is also what one might call secondary diabetes, diabetes secondary to other things; the two commonest other things would be pancreatic damage, generally from pancreatitis, or drugs, such as steroids.
Probably best not to go too deeply into the classification of diabetes - one could look at the ADA or NDDG or WHO or IDF publications; but if one considers the above three, and gestational diabetes, one just about includes all diabetic folk.
But we are getting better at considering the factors upsetting glucose handling such as insulin resistance, and lack of insulin production as well as considering the cause.
So the answer to your question is that most diabetic folk have type 2 diabetes and gall bladder disease is very common so the two will co-exist by chance. But if you have pancreatic damage, that can also cause diabetes, secondary diabetes.
Best wishes

Reactions: sparrow61

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
Most folk in UK have type 2 diabetes, about 5% or less have type 1 diabetes; but there is also what one might call secondary diabetes, diabetes secondary to other things; the two commonest other things would be pancreatic damage, generally from pancreatitis, or drugs, such as steroids.
Probably best not to go too deeply into the classification of diabetes - one could look at the ADA or NDDG or WHO or IDF publications; but if one considers the above three, and gestational diabetes, one just about includes all diabetic folk.
But we are getting better at considering the factors upsetting glucose handling such as insulin resistance, and lack of insulin production as well as considering the cause.
So the answer to your question is that most diabetic folk have type 2 diabetes and gall bladder disease is very common so the two will co-exist by chance. But if you have pancreatic damage, that can also cause diabetes, secondary diabetes.
Best wishes
8 years ago I had acute pancreatitis due to a blocked bile duct from gallstones. I was in hospital for a week. I returned the following week for key hole surgery to have my gall bladder removed. Since then I have had bouts of feeling ill, sometimes like I am going to pass out, clammy, sweaty and weak. Last year I was told my HbA1c level was 46 and that this year she (my doctor) would be diagnosing me with type 2 diabetes. A few months later I was tested again and no more was mentioned. The last few weeks, I have been dragging myself around, despite having my b12 injection I just wanted to crawl in bed. I went to the Doctors because I really thought I may have an underactive throid gland. A week ago friday I went back to the doctors, who gave me blood tests and was rang on Monday morning to say the test needed repeating in 2 weeks because my HbA1c level is now 48. Surely this is not high enough to be making me feel this ill, when I look at how high some people's are on here? I just saw your post and now it has got me asking just how long it has been this high and could my pancreatitis have started it all off...... Maybe I will never know..

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, this thread is interesting. Thank you for resurrecting it @sparrow61. I wonder? I was diagnosed Type 2 eight weeks ago. Bit of a shock as no one in my family has it. I had my gallbladder removed in 2000, and then a few years ago I had a stone removed from my bile duct (was it a new stone that grew or was it one left behind? No one knows) I had to have a sphincter cut inside to enable them to remove the stone, it took two endoscopies to finally remove it. I wonder if three procedures in my gallbladder area is linked to my diabetes?

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
Hi Rachox,
How terrible for you. I heard that can happen after the removal and always feared it happening to me but my doctor at the time said you would have to be very unlucky.
As i said in my post, i had turned a dark shade of yellow and was in hospital for a week from pancreatitis. I thought it was strange at the time because they were checking my blood glucose daily but I was too ill to question it.
I wonder if the NHS or anyone else has made a connection with this, I have a lot of time on my hands so I will try to do some research into it.
My recent HbA1c level is 48 and I have to go back on the 10th to have it repeated, so at the moment I have only been told it is pre diabetes. If there is a connection between the two, my problems must have started around 2009, it would make sense because I don't about you but I have not felt properly well since my op. If I can find anything I will get back to you. Take care.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox,
How terrible for you. I heard that can happen after the removal and always feared it happening to me but my doctor at the time said you would have to be very unlucky.
As i said in my post, i had turned a dark shade of yellow and was in hospital for a week from pancreatitis. I thought it was strange at the time because they were checking my blood glucose daily but I was too ill to question it.
I wonder if the NHS or anyone else has made a connection with this, I have a lot of time on my hands so I will try to do some research into it.
My recent HbA1c level is 48 and I have to go back on the 10th to have it repeated, so at the moment I have only been told it is pre diabetes. If there is a connection between the two, my problems must have started around 2009, it would make sense because I don't about you but I have not felt properly well since my op. If I can find anything I will get back to you. Take care.
Thank you. I'd be very interested if you find anything.

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
Thank you. I'd be very interested if you find anything.
I have just read on google that being Diabetic could cause gallbladder disease but I cannot find anything yet that is the case vice versa. Surely if Diabetes can cause gallbladder disease, there must be a link between the two to the pancreas because this is what regulates your insulin? I will keep searching

Reactions: Rachox

Laurareyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm new to this forum but am very interested as to whether gallbladder disease can cause diabetes - I had my gallbladder out in 2001 but, we now realise, had gallstones since I was a child causing routine sickness. I was diagnosed with Type 2 3 months ago but did not have any of the risk factors - very active and normal weight. My mother had gallstones as well so think there must be a genetic predisposition to this and, possibly, diabetes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just read on google that being Diabetic could cause gallbladder disease but I cannot find anything yet that is the case vice versa. Surely if Diabetes can cause gallbladder disease, there must be a link between the two to the pancreas because this is what regulates your insulin? I will keep searching
I did a little bit of Googling too. Certainly there doesn't seem to be any clinical research. However I did find other people asking on other forums similar questions to the OP here. Maybe anecdotally there is some substance to this theory?

Reactions: ickihun

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm new to this forum but am very interested as to whether gallbladder disease can cause diabetes - I had my gallbladder out in 2001 but, we now realise, had gallstones since I was a child causing routine sickness. I was diagnosed with Type 2 3 months ago but did not have any of the risk factors - very active and normal weight. My mother had gallstones as well so think there must be a genetic predisposition to this and, possibly, diabetes.
I'm certain gallstones are hereditary, my father had them requiring gall bladder removal, and recently my brother has been diagnosed with them too, though hasn't had them removed yet.

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
I'm certain gallstones are hereditary, my father had them requiring gall bladder removal, and recently my brother has been diagnosed with them too, though hasn't had them removed yet.
I think so too. I've had them. then my mother had her gallbladder removed about 3 years after me and my nan (mum's mum) had hers removed when I was a teenager. So I agree with you. There is also a few of my relatives with diabetes. I don't think a lot of illnesses are down to what you eat or do if it's genetic. If it's in your genes you have a higher risk I think.
Apparently, gallstones are not as common in men as women. But my friend's husband had them.

Reactions: Rachox

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
I'm certain gallstones are hereditary, my father had them requiring gall bladder removal, and recently my brother has been diagnosed with them too, though hasn'
Hi and welcome. I have only been on here a few days myself but these forums are a godsend. The people are friendly and really helpful if you have concerns about anything. I am trying to find out if there really is a connection between pancreatitis and Diabetes.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Best wishes

Very informative. I just wanted, pedantically, to clarify that when you say "most folk in the UK have type 2 diabetes" you do mean that most people in the UK with diabetes have type 2 diabetes. I mean, I know its getting pretty grim but it's not quite as grim is that right now. ;) Who knows what the future brings!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't know if this helps your thoughts but I couldn't have been diabetic before my gallbladder removal as I had a lot of blood tests leading up to the surgery and it never flagged up, but six weeks post op my blood test showed high blood glucose and it went from there.

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
I don't know if this helps your thoughts but I couldn't have been diabetic before my gallbladder removal as I had a lot of blood tests leading up to the surgery and it never flagged up, but six weeks post op my blood test showed high blood glucose and it went from there.
Thank you Mandy. I had acute pancreatitis in 2009 and was in hospital for a week. I haven't been right since. I have a vitamin D deficiency, B12 deficiency and generally feel unwell since my op to remove my gallstones.
My first HbA1c test was done last year and was 46. I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and it is now 48, they repeated the test yesterday (not sure why they did it again) and I am just waiting on the diagnosis. Last year I was pre-diabetic but I think I may have been like it a long time. I had never heard of HbA1c until last year and am wondering why, due to the pancreatitis, they had not done the test before.
It seems strange that they never flagged high blood glucose in your bloods before but did 6 weeks after because I thought the HbA1c test was the overall glucose level in your bloodstream over the course of 8-12 weeks. It really does make you think doesn't it? Maybe it never showed up prior because it was normal blood taken and not HbA1c........

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a total blood screen so I think it should have shown up, I think maybe it was such a kneejerk reaction that everything just went potty and I got the red flag readings. At least the doctor was onto it straightaway!!
I do think its really interesting though that there are so many of us who have damaged pancreases, who have then become diabetic - just wonder if there will be more research done into it..........does it mean that we are actually Type 3 then? I'm treated with the regime for Type 2 and it seems to be working currently.......I guess over time its just a waiting game! Its just so good to have this forum so we can all chat together over things like this that are confusing and sometimes worrying. Bit like having a chat in the pub but without the drink.............or maybe teashop but without the cake!!!!!!!!!