Haven't taken insulin in 3 weeks...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in August of last year (11 months ago) and was given Abasaglar and Humalog for treatment. I was taking between 15-20 units a day and nce my blood settled I was taking between 5-10 units a day which still isn't a lot. However a few months ago I became ill and naturally my blood sugars rose and had to take more insulin for that.

Now that I'm back to good health, and going on holiday at the end of August, I wanted to get really fit and bikini-ready again since I've always been a good eater and pretty sporty. During my ill phase I became out of shape so I approached the Joe Wick's 90 day body coach programme which consists of 4-5 days of HIIT sessions a week and a reduced carb meal diet apart from on days of training, then a carb rich meal is required after a workout.

I've been on the course for 3 week now and with one exception when I had to take 3 units of only background insulin after my birthday (too much cake), my blood levels have been excellent. 8 times out of 10 they've been on or close to 5.5mmol/L and never out with the 4-7mmol/L range - even after eating a carb heavy meal post work out. And the best part is: no hypos! Which I suffered from 2-5 days a week when taking insulin.

I'm feeling fantastic but am wondering is this still just the honeymoon period playing out? I read an article about how a T1D patient is getting tested on because it seems like he's basically reversed his diabetes due to his exercise regime. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Reactions: Spencer67

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be the honeymoon @scuttymacdutty Some people here with LADA have been able to stop insulin temporarily.

As long as you're testing lots and monitoring things, then enjoy it while it lasts - and long may it last! :)

Reactions: ickihun

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's entirely possible. I wouldn't expect it to last forever, but enjoy it while you can.

Sounds like you still have some natural insulin production which, for now, is enough to cope with your low carb intake/exercise regime.

My honeymoon seems to be over already.. 2 months post diagnosis. Although it's possible I was walking around with the beginnings of type 1 for 6-9 months before then.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I managed without insulin for well over 2 years after T1 diagnosis, on a very low carb diet. I have now been on insulin for just over a year, first taking 5 units per day now around 10 units per day, around 6 before breakfast and 4 before evening meal. Still on a low carb diet. The lower your carb diet the longer you will be able to continue without insulin. But eventually you will have to take some again, and I would recommend doing so earlier rather than later. My Hba1c never got higher than 5.8% (40) it is now 5.3% (35). I only take fast acting insulin, no basal.... so I am still in the honeymoon period, nearly 4 years after diagnosis.

Reactions: robert72

Spiritosl

Type of diabetes
Researcher
It has been shown that up to 40 % of T1 have a remaining but small insulin production up to more than 50 years after diagnosis.
This is why persons survived 100 years ago on a low carb diet like fried salted and salted pork served with heavy cream stewed cabbage
So keep on having a very low carb diet, it might work for the rest of your life without external insulin. But keep a close eye on the P-glucose and HbA1c levels!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It has been shown that up to 40 % of T1 have a remaining but small insulin production up to more than 50 years after diagnosis.
This is why persons survived 100 years ago on a low carb diet like fried salted and salted pork served with heavy cream stewed cabbage
So keep on having a very low carb diet, it might work for the rest of your life without external insulin. But keep a close eye on the P-glucose and HbA1c levels!

All Type 1s died eventually. Type 1 was a terminal illness before the discovery of insulin.

For LADA/slow-onset Type 1, some studies suggest that early introduction of insuoin can help preserve the remaining beta cells for longer.

How long have you been diagnosed?

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's entirely possible. I wouldn't expect it to last forever, but enjoy it while you can.

Sounds like you still have some natural insulin production which, for now, is enough to cope with your low carb intake/exercise regime.

My honeymoon seems to be over already.. 2 months post diagnosis. Although it's possible I was walking around with the beginnings of type 1 for 6-9 months before then.
I think that I had type 1 for 2-3 years before diagnosis and managed to get by dramatically lowering carbs and being on oral medication. I was told i had type 2 even though my hba1c was pretty high! then all slowly stopped working then rapidly stopped working! I haven't had a honeymoon since type 1 diagnosis :( but I feel a **** sight better now :)

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello maybe you caught a germ that a put your pancreas out for a while.But now it's cleared up.I will keep my fingers for ypu