metoformin???

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok here goes wonders if you could people could help me doctor put me on metorform a while back recenlty dignosed type 2 had blood test done told to increase dosage from one to to daily now when i was just taking the lower doses no side affects but since ive increaded the dosage i seem to be having tummy problems from feelin sick to blotedness n only be able to eat liquid food bascally cant face eatting but have to take tablets etc the stomach problems seem to come and go but last few days feelinf really rough and sweaty to boot question is can there be delays in the side effects on the metoformin that dont come pn all at once or could it just be a tummy bug got docs app in friday o just wondering if anyone else had this trouble so i can go in and sort it out thank you

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
It can be side effect sadly to say (diarrhoea, bad diarrhoea!) with metformin. I had normal metformin to start with, but because of the effect it had on my bowels I was then given slow release metformin, but they too gave me the same awful effect. Some people can take it with no side effects, normal or SR, but I can't take either type. I saw the dietician a few times who kept on telling me that it was my diet, not the medication, but the diarrhoea only stopped when the diabetic nurse agreed to me coming off the tablets a year past Feb/March can't remember which month. I've hardly had a sick day from work since coming off the medication, before hand I often had to go home because of the effect the tablets had!
Go back to your doctor and explain how you feel and ask to be changed to either slow release (they cost more I believe, so the Dr's are not keen to give them, so the nurse told me!) or another type of medication.

Look on here for information on the low carb high fat diet (LCHF) which helps type 2 diabetics. I was lucky as my Diabetic nurse told me all about it and then I came here and looked it up. It has certainly helped to lower my BS levels. But read up all you can about it before you decide which way to go. Lots of good information on the net about it.

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thansk im already on that lchf diet just wondered of it could have ben down to metrofinexx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thansk im already on that lchf diet just wondered of it could have ben down to metrofinexx

Yes, it will be the Metformin. It s a very common side effect. It may settle down but if not you could ask your GP to prescribe the slow release version (SR) as that is supposed to be kinder on the tummy.

Reactions: ringi

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Yes, it will be the Metformin. It s a very common side effect. It may settle down but if not you could ask your GP to prescribe the slow release version (SR) as that is supposed to be kinder on the tummy.

SR was just as bad for me! But maybe ask for it and give it a try. But make sure you can get to a loo quickly, just in case!

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a tough guide about a quarter of people can't tolerate the standard Metformin, even after an 'adjustment' period. Of these about half can tolerate slow release form. So the number that can't tolerate it at all from gastric issues alone is over 1 in 10.