Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
why am I not surprised?
It's scary, isn't it.
So genes alone are related to diabetes.
Is that genes of addictive nature? Genes of autism type problems who cannot control their eating? That gene which causes Prada Willi?
I guess genes which are normally classed as a visible disability.
Diabetes is mostly invisible.

My son is part of research in Cambridge for leptin involvement. So I guess my gene may have been pasted on to 10yr old which influences the leptin (hunger hormone).
He can just eat and eat and eat. We have to fight with him to stop which often results in upset. :(
He doesn't have diabetes!
But Leptin hormone and Insulin hormone go hand in hand in the body. They say.
Strange. However, that doesn't say he won't develop it if his weight isn't controlled.
I'd like him on less carbs but not low carb. Lets see what dietician says!
My new dietician approves low carb and child portions for me. Maybe he needs lower carbs and toddler portions? However, what about the hunger side of this plan? He'll sneak into eating through the night instead. So counter-productive.

Now. Who has passed that gene on to me? Definitely my mum as she has struggled all her life with her weight. Dad was skinny and his family.
Mam is the only small dumpy one in her siblings. Her sister died young so we don't know much about her but mum seems to think she was the ugly duckling.
I try and put her right but don't listen much these days (68 yr old).
Sooooo most likely gene related for me even though not direct diabetes but definitely looking like hunger gene involved.
Insulin use to keep my bgs low (3-8mmol/l) I feel is helpingme lose weight, before xenical tablet got involved.
I'm losing steadily so I am not hungry on low bgs, that is my main objective.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do you or anyone you know have obvious gene related diabetes, anyone?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Here it states there are 3,000 genes relating to diabetes.

I know that a human cell contains 21,000 genes so what this statement actually means goes well over my head. Especially when you start taking epigenetics into account, where environmental conditions dictate whether a gene is switched on or off.

A good question, but a difficult question for most people to answer with any degree of accuracy. I think there's far too many questions for a type II, things like "Did my carb consumption cause me to produce loads of insulin which led to my insulin resistance?", "did my insulin resistance cause my obesity, or vice versa?".

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2017...n-breakdown-and-type-2-diabetes-92296798.html

Here it states there are 3,000 genes relating to diabetes.
Neither wonder there are so many different types and variations of the disease?

I read a summary of a Genetic Diabetes study that said it was likely there would eventually be several different forms of treatment for diabetes based on gene mutation combinations. There was also speculation that complications were more common among a certain gene combination thus explaining why some people are plagued with complications while others are not.

It was all speculative but a fascinating read - something I came across about 5 years ago. Wish I still had the link. I suspect we're just scratching the surface.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know that a human cell contains 21,000 genes so what this statement actually means goes well over my head. Especially when you start taking epigenetics into account, where environmental conditions dictate whether a gene is switched on or off.

A good question, but a difficult question for most people to answer with any degree of accuracy. I think there's far too many questions for a type II, things like "Did my carb consumption cause me to produce loads of insulin which led to my insulin resistance?", "did my insulin resistance cause my obesity, or vice versa?".
So again an environmental cause to set off gene? Carby enviroment?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I read a summary of a Genetic Diabetes study that said it was likely there would eventually be several different forms of treatment for diabetes based on gene mutation combinations. There was also speculation that complications were more common among a certain gene combination thus explaining why some people are plagued with complications while others are not.

It was all speculative but a fascinating read - something I came across about 5 years ago. Wish I still had the link. I suspect we're just scratching the surface.
I know the leptin research will benefit the type2 mystery a little.
Hopefully the more scratches, the more light on treatment.

Gene therapy seems to hold a big key for many!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well any one with Cystic Fibrosis Diabetes as CF is a genetic disease and yes I do know one personally..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well any one with Cystic Fibrosis Diabetes as CF is a genetic disease and yes I do know one personally..
A ex-boyfriend's father (Mr Beaumont)was heavily into CF charity but I didn't get a chance to discuss anything with him. That's very interesting!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I know two sisters, now both in their 20s who both have cystic fibrosis, and fortunately no signs of diabetes.

I'm really only mentioning this because I question the only source of data we have which is Google, or libraries, apart from people we know. I read one piece that said diabetes is common in people with CF, then when you read further it said 20%, which in my internal dictionary (always being updated) isn't the same thing. Another article said it was nearer 40 - 50 %. Sometimes very difficult to get to the truth, but nevertheless, there's it's a genetic related diabetes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don;t know how common it is, I should say however that I new one person who did have it my wife's cousin's son who did have it but sadly he passed away in his twenties my nephew though so far does not have diabetes though his dad is T1 late onset.

From what I gather CF diabetes is nether classed as T1 or T2 but has commonalities with both.

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
My eldest brother and myself took after my Dad in being brown haired and brown eyed. My second brother and both of my sisters took after my mum - light hair and blue/gray eyes. My eldest brother became T1 in his mid 30's (did not look after himself and had both legs amputated and passed away aged 48). My Dad became T2 at age of 70, but was controlled by diet only. I was diagnosed as T2 5 years ago, aged 57. To me, that indicated that there may well be a genetic link! The rest of my siblings did not develop diabetes. Found out when dabbling with my family tree, that my paternal great grandmother was also diabetic.