Tiny dark chocolate bars

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not great with portion control with anything and I'm the type of person once something is open it calls to me to finish it. I want to be able to have a small amount of dark chocolate some evenings but the small amount kept turning into a not so small amount.

I did a bit of a google and found divine chocolate do 4.2g bars of 70% dark chocolate. They sell them in packs of 100. I think they are supposed to be wedding favours or similar.

So far I've been able to eat just 1 or 2 on an odd evening. Not the cheapest way to get dark chocolate but works for me if I don't end up eating a whole bars worth.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I've made a rule that if I want something sweet I have to make it. So I make chocolate brownies from 90% cocoa chocolate (too bitter on its own) and sweetener (xylitol) plus butter, almond flour, eggs, salt, vanilla and chopped walnuts. I only need about a cubic inch at a time and they don't affect my blood glucose at all. I freeze two thirds and they last three weeks (sometimes).

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy 40g bars of 85% chocolate that I love the taste of. It's 10g carb a bar and I usually snack on 2 squares so about 3g carb. Sounds like the divine bars suit you, a good find

Reactions: Ultramum

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sue81 - from another Sue with a sweet tooth.

Aldi's Moser Roth dark chocolate comes in individual small bars of 25g - 5 bars in a pack. They do several flavoured varieties - I love the sea salt one - as well as having varying percentages of cocoa bars.

Might be worth checking out if you've got an Aldi near you

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm with @SueNSW here? I buy the Aldi Moser Roth 85% bars each 25g bar has 4.6g carbs Sainsbury's also do a pack like that at I think 4.2g per bar, personally I mostly eat lindt 90% now x

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter got married recently and the favours were the Divine Dark and Milk Chocolate Hearts........I have to say they lived up to their name......they were Divine.......mmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Moser Roth 85% is amazing stuff, my favourite chocolate at the moment.

Reactions: kaylz91

EmmasDad

Yes I'm with @SueNSW here? I buy the Aldi Moser Roth 85% bars each 25g bar has 4.6g carbs Sainsbury's also do a pack like that at I think 4.2g per bar, personally I mostly eat lindt 90% now x
Noticed that the Moser Rother 81% bars have far less sugar than the ones containing less cocoa.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have aldi moser cherry n chilli dark choc bars. 5 in pack. Just as hypo stoppers! I know each one is 16g and normally for me during nights I only need 4g if I go low. Chunks break off really easy and I just have a bar on bedside cabinet. Even at 3am in morn its quite nice just to actually need a "fix" and the 1sq fixes me beautifully.
For some reason in the morning though I look at myself and I have chocolate all round my mouth!! Goodness knows how it gets like that when I've ate it?? Worse than a mucky child in a high chair-lol.
I know you talking about lower carb chocs but to me a 4g little sq of this is my perfect hypo stopper. A 15g is too much at night and this keeps me perfect till morning. Lucozade shoves me up horrendous and is lost and dips badly again... not so with this at night.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
now I don't buy any chocolate, I prefer homemade, it's healthier and more delicious

AnneMurray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who judge
@Sue81 - from another Sue with a sweet tooth.

Aldi's Moser Roth dark chocolate comes in individual small bars of 25g - 5 bars in a pack. They do several flavoured varieties - I love the sea salt one - as well as having varying percentages of cocoa bars.

Might be worth checking out if you've got an Aldi near you
Think I might have to check them out as I like the salt/sweet combo

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the small amount kept turning into a not so small amount.
I really recognise this! I have an awkward eating history and one of my 'things' was finishing any packet if it was open - I'm taking about things like a whole box of All Bran or - gasp - a MULTIPACK of 10 bags of Hula Hoops........

Fortunately this pattern of behaviour is a distant memory and didn't last for too long - and as it happens neither All Bran nor Hula Hoops have any part in my life now!

I love love love dark chocolate and if I go to a cafe for coffee I'll sometimes have one of those teeny bars of Green & Blacks - it's great that they're available in a small format like that.

This is what I sometimes have for pudding:

Chocolate cheesecake mousse - makes 4 ramekins

Melt 100g 85% choc in 150ml double cream with 4dsp Splenda and 1tsp vanilla extract.
When still hot, whisk in an egg and whisk at high speed (electric!) for 5mins.
Pop whole mixing bowl into a bowl of iced water* and whisk in 180g tub full fat Philadelphia cream cheese until cold and billowy.
Chill. Or not. Depends how loud it's begging you to eat it.
Makes 4 (small and very chocolatey) portions. For larger, less chocolatey, portions use TWO tubs of Philly. And slightly bigger ramekins.....
*not big enough to drop electric whisk into. Safety first!