What do you eat for Breakfast?

DazG

Im slowly getting my head around low carbing, but breakfast is worrying me, I dont want to eat bacon and egg 7 days a week, so are there other options? Is there a cereal I can eat? Is toasted wholemeal bread ok?

Id be grateful for any ideas you may have.

Darren.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The only way to know for sure is to eat different things and test before and two hours later to check your blood sugar levels.

Many can get away with eating porridge, but equally many can't. Some find eating fruit with the porridge slows down the absorbtion and gives less 'spikes'. You could try cold meats or cheese, I like an apple with mine.

Dobbs

I'm very into natural yoghurt with berries, especially in the summer. Or I fry two or three sausages and tomato or mushrooms. All are good, carb-wise.

DazG

A problem I have with testing is this.

I take a 40mg Nexium tablet in the mornings, this vastly reduces the amount of acid in my stomach so food takes longer to digest, with this in mind, would that affect the 2 hour reading?

I have searched for nexium and diabetes online but I dont really get anywhere with it.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
DazG said:
A problem I have with testing is this.

I take a 40mg Nexium tablet in the mornings, this vastly reduces the amount of acid in my stomach so food takes longer to digest, with this in mind, would that affect the 2 hour reading?

I have searched for nexium and diabetes online but I dont really get anywhere with it.

It is possible, if it does have that effect.........however you would have to test to see exactly what effect it doe have, if any ?

I inject Byetta which slows the gastric emptying process down. I still test at 1 and 2 hrs and sometimes at 3 or 4 hrs, depends on the food and what I want to know. The readings at 2, and 3 hrs are not significantly out of line with what I have come to expect. I have found that it doesn't seem to have any effect on Bg readings enough to call it a problem.

Testing is the only way even if there is some effect with a particular drug.....you just adjust the timing to compensate.

Ken

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Found this on a blog elsewhere on Net.

Question: I have GERD and take Nexium (a proton-pump inhibitor) for it. I was wondering if reducing the amount of acid in my stomach would slow the digestion of food.

Answer: Not likely. Proton-pump inhibitors such as Nexium and Prilosec reduce the amount of acid in your stomach, which tames your pain from gastroesophageal reflux disease. But there is still plenty left to help digest your food. In fact, even when you take these drugs, the stomach goes about its normal business, reducing acid during sleep and naturally fluctuating throughout the day.

Keep in mind that digestion isn't just confined to the stomach; your mouth (the glands that produce saliva) and intestines (and the bacteria you have inside them) do a lot of the work, too. There are a couple not-so-great things that PPIs do, however:

• They can make it harder to absorb bone-strengthening calcium, so make sure you get extra of that mineral.

• They don't allow you to absorb vitamin B-12 from food very well. You can, however, absorb supplements of B-12 just fine. While some prefer pills, liquid vitamins are often easier for GERD sufferers.

• They can affect how well you absorb some prescription drugs that require a certain level of stomach acidity. Make sure all your docs and pharmacists know you're taking PPIs.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Endocrine Effects
NEXIUM had no effect on thyroid function when given in oral doses of 20 or 40 mg for 4 weeks. Other effects of NEXIUM on the endocrine system were assessed using omeprazole studies. Omeprazole given in oral doses of 30 or 40 mg for 2 to 4 weeks had no effect on carbohydrate metabolism, circulating levels of parathyroid hormone, cortisol, estradiol, testosterone, prolactin, cholecystokinin, or secretin.

According to the above there should be no effect on the metabolism of carbohydrates.
From the Rx list....an Internet Drug index.....

Ken

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Most days it's Linzi's Granola for me. Tesco sells it for arounf £3.50 a packet.

Or if I sleep in or am in a rush I just gulp down a couple of Mars Bars.........(JOKE) :twisted:

jaykay

Most days, it's 2% greek yoghurt with blueberries. 2 or 3 times a week I have eggs somehow, turkey rashers, sometimes mushrooms or tomato, like a little english brakfast. I find it the most difficult meal to get my head around ( just used to eat toast before diagnosis ) but I did read, somewhere on here I think, that you should just think meal 1, 2 and 3 and not breakfast, lunch and dinner and that sort of helps.

DazG

Thanks Sue and Ken for the info there!

Thanks to everyone else for your tips, I like to have a varied diet so will try out the Granola and yogurt type breakfasts.

Can I just ask, is wholemeal toast generally bad to have?

I really appreciate everyones help.

Darren

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your problem is oesophagal reflux, my experience was that mine cleared up very quickly on a very low-carb diet.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 2 breakfasts at the moment, either a soft boiled egg with buttered crispbread, or if not very hungry, I just have a pot of coffee with double cream.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I quite often have a Granary bread slice of toast (home made) around 16g carbs per slice for breakfast, together with butter.....not a spread. I also have boiled or poached eggs with it, a nice change from the B & E etc. I drink Coffeee with Cream most of the time. Doesn't seem to affect my Bg levels at all really, I just eat in a reduced carb, low GI/GL fashion, I'm a T2 BTW.

Ken

DazG

Crispbreads are ok also are they?

I will speak to my DN sue when I next see her and discuss what I am currently eating, just so they are aware of it.

If I do low GI then, I can have 100g of carbs spread throughout the day can I?

And proper fats are better than made up ones, like margarine etc?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
You need to be careful with Crispbreads.
Some of them have carb values up to 88.9g carbs per 100g :shock: You need to ensure they are low in carbs if you are going to eat them. Read the labels.

When you speak to your DN you may find that some of the advice you have been given regarding diet is not what they like to hear ? You have to do what is good for YOU.

As for fats.......my intake of saturated fats is not as high as some peoples, however I actually eat more fats than some low carbers, yet my diet is actually low fat as far as I am concerned. I always find that puzzling ? My choice as I can't tolerate too much. It has unfortunate side effects. :oops:

You need to look at things holistically, some things which you might think bad for you are OK in moderation. You need to work out what works for YOU. Things that I or others eat may be totally wrong for you because of some medical condition. That's why we usually ask you questions before giving out some advice. Make sure we don't tell you something that may be totally unsuitable.

As we say....everybody is individual, we are all different in some ways. How we react to certain foods etc. I think that the best thing you can do is do not assume that because it works for one.....it will work for you. You have to try it and see. That's why we advocate frequent testing at least until you know exactly how it affects youi as a Diabetic. We are different in how our body's react to glucose. A non-Diabetic would have no difficulty in coping with certain foods, that to a Diabetic would just skyrocket their Bg levels after meals.

Everything is allowed, to a certain extent unless you can see that it is bad for your Bg numbers. Everything in moderation. :D

Ken

C

catherinecherub

Etty said:
I have 2 breakfasts at the moment, either a soft boiled egg with buttered crispbread, or if not very hungry, I just have a pot of coffee with double cream.
Hi Etty,
According to your profile you are not a diabetic. Could you clarify please.

DazG

I think I will start planning out my new menu once I get back from holiday (off to Great Yarmouth tomorrow) then I will eat and test and see what works for me.

Its a lot to take in, in the beginning, but with the help of this forum I do now feel I can have some crontrol over my life and condition, and I am very grateful for that and all of the advice I am receiving :)

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
I pop a chicken breast in the George Forman whilest I faff about with my hair and stuff, cut it up and dip in mayo - lovely - hardly touches my BG level.

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
Yes, its lovely - I dont really crave sweet stuff any more. If Ive managed to get some cheap enough when I shop - sometimes I have fresh salmon steak on a small bed of salad (and my trusty Mayo)!!

See - Slimming World is working for me!