Am in mourning for...

dragongirl

...the half eaten blackcurrant and apple crumble sitting staring at me. Lush, sugary, juicy, starchy, even soggy in places... Mmm.
Husband will finish it instead of me. In the last year I have happily given up all sorts of things in the interests of controlling this DB. But missing the crumble made with our own blackcurrants is bad indeed. I am sooo tempted. But no point in deliberately stepping off the system, I tell myself. A mouthful wouldn't fill me but would consume my day's carbs. And I can't eat blackcurrants without adding sugar in heaps... Have enjoyed the raspberry crop, little by little, though.

Anyone else find one particular food really gets to them when it's a "never again" choice?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also have blackcurrents in the garden I find that if you wash and just drop them into a pan and heat until they burst and have with cream or creme fraiche and grated or melted dark chocolate it seems to take away the need for any sweetness. The more cocoa in the choc the better for BGs
CAROL

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may find that your tastes have changed so that you can enjoy blackcurrants without lots of sugar?
We had a lovely surprise this weekend, discovering a patch of wild raspberries near Ladybower Reservoir in the Peak District - much enjoyed by both me (T1D) and my partner (no diabetes, just hungry and keen on produce from garden and "hedgerow") Later in the year, we'll be cycling round the commons to collect blackberries and apples from a park where I work, to make blackberry & apple crumble - freeze in foil trays, ready to go straight from freezer to oven. The cycling helps add to our exercise quota.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've got blueberries with a little sweetner and soured cream as a treat tonight, absolute heaven :D

dragongirl

Anyone on diet only got anything to add?! I think if I were on meds I'd have some crumble... Horrible choice: meds or crumble! @peecee, I manage blueberries and a little cream just fine. Daily!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
How about trying a small portion, test before and two hours or even three hours after and see what your levels are. If they are up then try a smaller portion next time.

If you find you cannot tolerate even a small portion then maybe you will have to think of a lower carb version as in using splenda for sweetness and perhaps almond flour for the crumble.

dragongirl

I did wonder about that, SS, but also wonder if I am just wanting to give up the regime! Also not sure if spiking to say 12-14 even if back down again pronto doesn't in fact count as a damaging spike. If the blackcurrants are still in the garden at the weekend after my trip south I will give it a try. And perhaps I could clean the house after to make sure some insulin goes to work!

dragongirl

carty said:
I also have blackcurrents in the garden I find that if you wash and just drop them into a pan and heat until they burst and have with cream or creme fraiche and grated or melted dark chocolate it seems to take away the need for any sweetness. The more cocoa in the choc the better for BGs
CAROL

Carol - just back from away and took up your suggestion last night. Absolutely fab. Half hour after was 6.6 (well that was to be expected); one hour 6.5; two hours 5.3. Could have fewer next time but it's not as if it's daily fare. I just don't want to waste the blackcurrants. Thanks.
DG

Murphybear

what I miss most is Pizza. even a single slice is loaded with carbs. I make pancakes using half wholemeal and half soya flour and add lots of lovely tomatoes and a bit of strong cheese - yumm