Hba1c after 3 months

bluestar

I got a big surprice when I got my first 3 monthly Hba1c results. When I was first diagnosed my HBa1c was 11.3 and I was tod to start the metmofin medication. I persuaded the health visitor that I wanted to have a go at diet only before considering the medication. I made drastic changes this last month on my diet. I got my HBa1c results and they were 5.4. I am quite thrilled.

My only worry that I have is the rise in my blood pressure 144/70. Before being diagnosed it used to be around 120/65. Does diabetes raise high blood pressure. I do not want to start the blood pressure medication is there anything that I am doing wrong. I want to loose weight and I am struggling. I have also cut down on salt and fat intake.

My cholesterole levels are 4.4 at the moment and was adviced that i need to start the cholesterol medication to protect me from future complications.

I am not being anti medication but I would like to hold on a bit longer if I can to start medications. I am 44yrs and I worry about side effects of some meds and the fact that I have a few years ahead of me. Am I making the right decesion or not?

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Congrats on your HbA1c. Fantastic to see it drop so much to that level in 3 months.
I take a small dose of amlodipine & BP, monitored twice a day at home, has ranged between 102-129 systolic and 58-83 diastolic over the last 3 weeks. However, whenever my BP is taken at the surgery it's invariably somewhere over 140/80. That increase could be as a result of white coat syndrome(?) i.e. phobia of doctors & I certainly cannot deny that in my case!
My Dr is aware of the home readings and would like to see my personal records next time I see her, otherwise she is not too concerned especially as my HbA1c is around your level, normal weight etc.
So I was going to suggest you get your own BP meter and keep a record of twice daily readings, say morning & evening. Take that with you on your next visit to the Dr & compare to the reading he/she takes. You could also take the meter with you and see how much variance there is between the Dr's and yours. I did that once and indeed both readings were similar, suggesting the white coat syndrome was having its effect.
This might help you win the argument not to be started on BP medication at this stage.
As for cholesterol, I dont understand the recommendation to start medication on the basis you have "4.4" Presumably thats a 'total' cholesterol reading which, to my understanding, is not so high that medication is necessary. What is important is the HDL ( good ) and LDL ( bad ) levels & the ratio between each one. What were they or didnt they tell you? You have already made a fantastic start by modifying your diet, cutting salt, fat etc. and seen the results of that. Try to get a bit more exercise into the daily routine and hopefully the weight will start to nudge southwards. I assume you dont smoke(!) & drink alcohol in moderation, if at all, because obviously these two things have a profound effect on everything, not least the pocket!
Good luck!

bluestar

Thanks you two for the words of encouragement, I will try to gey myself a BP machine. I will also find out next time about the cholesterol readings again.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Some 'facts' about Cholesterol........posted elsewhere as well. The medication is used for prevention as well as treatment.

This from a UK H.E.A.R.T foundation charity medical fact sheet.

Desirable limits for blood cholesterol levels
The main aim of treatment in most hyperlipidaemic patients is to reduce the risk of premature angina or heart attack, and to reduce the occurrence of further heart attacks in people who already suffer from coronary heart disease.

The New Joint British Society Guidelines recommend that for certain patient groups (listed below), along with lifestyle and blood pressure control the total cholesterol level should be no higher than 4 mmol/l and the LDL cholesterol should be below 2 mmol/l:

• Patients with established coronary heart disease
• Patients with other major atherosclerotic disease
• Patients with hypertension, dyslipidaemias, diabetes, family history of premature CHD, or a combination of these risk factors, which puts them at high risk of developing CHD or other atherosclerotic disease. Risk factors must not be regarded in isolation, as their interaction multiplies the risk of CHD. In addition to tackling elevated lipids, modification of co-existing factors, such as smoking and hypertension, is necessary.

Here is a link to the fact sheet.
http://www.heartuk.org.uk/images/upload ... oteins.pdf

Blood Pressure in a Diabetic should be below 130/80 according to the UK Blood Pressure Association, so it might be an idea if blood pressure cannot be controlled by lifestyle changes then medication may be the answer for some people.

Ken