Just need to get my cholesterol in check now. Suggestions would be welcome

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all

My trig was 2.9mmol/l and is now 1.6
Hdl was 0.73mmol/l and now 0.68 this is the one that worries me.
Also I have decided to stop my Metformin and monitor my bloods to see what happens if they increase then I will start them again.

I don't think that's bad after 2 months.

my hdl didnt improve at all at my first review ( 90 down to 64) despite the low carbing and the exercise. I decided to eat more saturated fats which is known to increase HDL - the results at the second stage show up below.

Reactions: Prem51 and grante

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@CherryAA

Your improved hdl may have just been from giving the exercise and low carbs time to work, rather then the increased saturated fats. If only they was a good way to tell....

(And the same could be said for someone that starts satins a short time after going low curb)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and grante

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Needed to share this. I got my Hba1c results tonight after 8 weeks from being diagnosed.
Hba1c at time of diagnosis was 102 now 59
Cholesterol was 6.2 now 5.5
Doc wants to put me on statins to get my colesterol level down to 4 but I have refused as everything seems to be reducing by it's self.
Great reduction in just 8 weeks @grante, well done! :)
If your total cholesterol has fallen from 6.2 to 5.5 I wouldn't go on statins. I was on them but stopped as I think they increased my bs levels. My total cholesterol fell from 6.1 last September to 5.7 in April, and I am continuing to decline the statins.

Reactions: grante and Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And well done from me too for those excellent results, and keep off those blasted statins unless there's a really good reason for actually needing them! After I refused to take them any longer I saw a definite drop in my glucose levels.

Robbity

Reactions: grante

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very well done indeed. How did you find your cholesterol levels. I have blood results online but don't know what i am looking for.
Thanks

Reactions: grante and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done indeed. How did you find your cholesterol levels. I have blood results online but don't know what i am looking for.
Thanks
My cholesterol and triglyceride levels come under 'serum lipids' on my online results page. Hope that helps.

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi again. I have found
serum cholesterol level 5.9
Trigs 2.6
Hdl 1.1

How bad is this and would you turn down statin if they told you to have it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the standards

Blood fat (cholesterol) targets
People with diabetes should aim to meet the following blood lipid (cholesterol) targets:

 Total cholesterol: under 4.0 mmol/l
 LDL levels: below 2.0 mmol/l
 HDL levels: at least 1.0 mmol/l (men) or 1.2 mmol/l (women)
 Triglyceride levels: less than (or equal to) 1.7 mmol/l
 Total cholesterol / HDL ratio: less than 5

Your trigs/HDL ratio is 2.36 and ideally should be under 0.87. This is very important.

Your trigs were high. Did you fast for this test? If not, that could be a reason. To get a more accurate trigs level requires fasting.

Whether you go on statins or not is absolutely your own decision, not ours and not your GP's. Personally I wouldn't have statins under any circumstances, but that is easy for me to say because my cholesterol is good without them. You really need to do your own research on this and make up your mind after that.

Certain foods will help.
Oily fish at least 3 times a week (salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel)
Avocado
Flax seed
Chia seed
Olive oil/rapeseed oil
almonds, walnuts, peanuts, and other nuts
a glass of red wine

Plus exercise

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
This isn't quite in response to your last posted message - I just love the pic of the adorable wee cat you use and wondered how you managed to get that great posture of the stricken-shock look that devious moggies can display, with laughter behind it? Makes me giggle whenever I see it

Reactions: Prem51

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
These are the standards

Blood fat (cholesterol) targets
People with diabetes should aim to meet the following blood lipid (cholesterol) targets:

 Total cholesterol: under 4.0 mmol/l
 LDL levels: below 2.0 mmol/l
 HDL levels: at least 1.0 mmol/l (men) or 1.2 mmol/l (women)
 Triglyceride levels: less than (or equal to) 1.7 mmol/l
 Total cholesterol / HDL ratio: less than 5

Your trigs/HDL ratio is 2.36 and ideally should be under 0.87. This is very important.

Your trigs were high. Did you fast for this test? If not, that could be a reason. To get a more accurate trigs level requires fasting.

Whether you go on statins or not is absolutely your own decision, not ours and not your GP's. Personally I wouldn't have statins under any circumstances, but that is easy for me to say because my cholesterol is good without them. You really need to do your own research on this and make up your mind after that.

Certain foods will help.
Oily fish at least 3 times a week (salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel)
Avocado
Flax seed
Chia seed
Olive oil/rapeseed oil
almonds, walnuts, peanuts, and other nuts
a glass of red wine

Plus exercise

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi bluetit1802

Looks like you know what you are on about so does my cholesterol readings look way high or nothing to worry about too much high. I am starting to eat alot less carbs and my bs levels are steadily coming down should this help with the cholesterol.

Thanks

Reactions: grante