accidental OVERDOSE!!!!!

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unbelievably I have just managed to do this _again_ with humalog rather than lantus this time. Having my predinner injection, with new pen, I had one of the old-style clickey ones before, but the new pen is a smooth silent type. So when I didn't hear the noise I was like 'oh, obviously didn't work' and popped it in again with same number, about three seconds in I realised what I was doing. ******. Very annoyed as want to start reducing my insulin intake and what do I end up doing?

Going to keep checking BS for the next few hours, and keep eye on things. So annoyed with myself, as am flying long haul tomorrow and need to be on my toes. That said, have been really stressed about this trip so maybe that contributed to forgetfulness. Still, feel like total idiot. :oops:

littleangel

Dislikes
People who lie !
Today, after a stupidly busy weekend working (I sing in a band and travel around the country), I managed to inject Novorapid twice within a 1 hour slot.

INjected when I woke up (still half asleep), then came down stairs, put kettle on etc, put some toast on and injected again. Had total meltdown when I reaslised that I had injected not only 30 mins previously.

Been terrified all day, testing every 20 mins. Have stocked up on carbs and am currently running at 4.2. Are they likley to drop even more??

Worried out of my mind

G :(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Your doing the right thing.

Keep monitoring every 20 minutes and if it drops any more take fast acting carbs such as gluocotabs, orange juice,jelly babies,lucozade etc. to boost BG level as the ordinary carbs are too slow to raise the level quickly.

If in doubt call NHS 24 direct on : 0845 4647 for further advice.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi G and anyone else who has ever injected twice or injected the wrong insulin or …….

One of the best actions you have taken is to realise that you have over injected – this actually puts you at less risk of having a massive unexpected hypo than someone who hasn’t realised they have over injected.

Whilst I was nursing on one of the children’s diabetic holidays one of the staff members accidentally gave themselves two doses of their long acting insulin – they realised and felt very embarrassed. :oops:
So not only were we doing nocturnal hypo rounds on the children but also the staff. :lol: :lol:

But hey it happens to lots of the insulin injecting diabetic community. :lol: We are after all only human and can make mistakes. :roll:

Hope you feel less panicked soon.

Best wishes

Txx

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did that once not long after I was diagnosed, I am always very carefull taking my injectons and check everything before I take it, but as I take my background just before my insulin with my breakfast, I just picked up the wrong pen. Luckly though I was only on ten units of background at the time so it wasn't as bad as taking 22. I just had an extra big breakfast that day with more carbs and it was okay :)

day007

Hi I literally don't know what came over me but I just woke up, injected, and then realised that I'd just injected my 22u of levemir which I always do just before bed. So that means at the moment I have twice as much long-acting insulin going around inside me... how's this going to affect me, what do I do!?!

I can't just eat more breakfast because the insulin's effect is going to be slow over the whole day, should I eat long acting carbs at intervals, or should I not do my short-acting, or drastically reduce my short-acting with meals? Oh god I can't believe I did that... come to think of it I can't be sure I didn't inject 22u of novorapid.

Ok I shall be checking bs frequently but any advice if it's the levemir, which I am pretty sure it was.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Gee - lots of testing and don't be on your own. Call someone, DN and family member or friend available to you.