All new to me

Lisaw1980

hi all can anyone help? I recently found out after having a routine blood test I have type 2 my hba1c was 54. I had a blood test April 16 and all was fine not even pre diabetic with a level of 41. In the space of a year I have put on 3 stones And did little exercise but in the last 3 week I have been on a strict diet and lost a stone. My diabetic nurse says she has known cases that it can go is this correct? Also is a reading of 54 really high and out of control. Please help as I am sooo concerned I am only 36 and don't even have any symptoms at all xx

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @Lisaw1980 and welcome to the forum.

The first thing is - and this is important - take a breath! Everything is going to be okay. You're going to be okay. Plus, you've landed in a great place to find support, advice, ideas and inspiration.

Have a look at this following page:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Your previous reading of 41 was a single point away from prediabetic, and your more recent reading of 54 is neither "high" nor "out of control".

Your body has become insulin resistant. That means it's having a harder time unlocking the sugar in your blood. It's a big deal, but only if you don't take steps to manage it - that's the bad news.

The good news is that you've already started moving towards a healthier lifestyle - you've lost weight, you've found this wonderful place, you've already been to see your diabetic nurse. Can I ask, did your strict diet involve carbs?

I'm going to tag @daisy1 and @AM1874 who have helped me understand my illness (I've been diagnosed for 15 days!) and feel supported and informed. You have some interesting (and potentially empowering) choices to make, and you're in a great place to arm yourself with the tools and knowledge you need to take control.

Honestly, breathe. Everything is fine. It's a shock, but you're going to be okay.

Much love,

Sock <3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't panic! Once you have got over the shock of this new diagnosis, and have all the information you need, you will feel a whole lot better, both mentally and physically. So we can all help you better can you tell us if you have been put on any medication and what type of diet have you adopted? I was diagnosed eight weeks ago and thanks to the lovely people here, I started on a low carb. diet and bought myself a blood glucose monitor. Here I am now 2st 4lb lighter and with much improved blood sugars. I somehow needed this kick up the bum to sort myself out!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was diagnosed recently, too. I was shocked to the core then in denial. My HbA1c was 98 on diagnosis and within a month I had lowered it to 73 and lost a stone in weight. This was wholly due to the advise on low carb diet that I learned right here. Try not to worry, you have made the right decision in looking for guidance and in my opinion you couldn't have come to a better place. Browse the forum and please ask questions as I know from experience that there is a lot to take in. And finally, welcome to our little corner of the web.

Reactions: luv2spin

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all can anyone help? I recently found out after having a routine blood test I have type 2 my hba1c was 54. I had a blood test April 16 and all was fine not even pre diabetic with a level of 41. In the space of a year I have put on 3 stones And did little exercise but in the last 3 week I have been on a strict diet and lost a stone. My diabetic nurse says she has known cases that it can go is this correct? Also is a reading of 54 really high and out of control. Please help as I am sooo concerned I am only 36 and don't even have any symptoms at all xx

Well done for starting to control this disease. In 3 weeks you have lost a whole stone in weight and that will help a lot. Your HbA1c isn't drastic and can be turned around. Diet is the key, and the diet means cutting down on carbohydrates because all carbs turn to sugar once inside the system. Reduce those and you reduce your blood glucose levels and also hopefully lose some more weight.

We were all concerned when first diagnosed. It is quite normal to feel like that, but it will pass. Oh .... and by the way, many of us had no symptoms when diagnosed. I was also diagnosed on a routine blood test. My Hba1c was 53, so very similar to yours, and mine also developed during the 12 months previous to that, and I had no symptoms. So you are very similar to how I was. That was January 2014 and ancient history for me.

You will need your own blood glucose meter to help you find a suitable eating plan that will reduce your levels. It will become your best friend.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Lisaw1980 .. and welcome
You have certainly made a good move coming here .. since joining this forum the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It's still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

The key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @SockFiddler has already tagged @ daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 (you don't pay VAT) or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them. Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them
Hope this helps

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lisaw1980

Hello Lisa and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was only 36 when diagnosed as well. I was fine in the June, my father had diabetes so we all tested(urine) regularly. By the middle of October I was showing symptoms. I am 63 now so there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a freight train coming your way!

Reactions: SockFiddler

ab.er.rant

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was 35 when I diagnosed prediabetic and like you said, no symptoms and everything felt absolutely fine! The doctor that analysed the reading threw me a one-liner that was like a punch in the gut. I was stressed and depressed for weeks before I learned about reducing carbs and found this really supportive forum. It's been almost 2 years and I feel like I've managed to not let the situation get any worse. You're already starting to make the necessary lifestyle changes to keep this under control, so keep it up! Make changes little by little and things will be a-okay!

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi lisa welcome i am new as well found out end of may big shock as it was testing for other things no symptoms . I have had good advice on here i have brought a meter and test first thing in a morning and before a meal and 2hrs after and have worked out that some things trigger a high reading and other don't you are doing really well if you have lost weight. You should be really pleased.

I will be honset i have made changes but not done well due to other things going but this site is full of good advice and happy to answer questions.