Help !!!

BNPreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, I am a poorly controlled type 1 diabetic for 15 years . I have had a ridiculous amount of admissions with dka and struggle like hell with my diabetes control. Everyone I ask about a pump it seems Asif whoever I'm talking to cannot be assed with the hassle of trying to get me one. I have spoken to many people with diabetes that suffered from the same problem as me and the pump resolved there problems. How do I go about applying for a pump or funding for a pump as this seems the last option available to me and could be the answer to living a much longer happier life with type one diabetes. Please help. Many thanks.

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
Do you have a cgm? I am mdi and have found this to be amazing for helping my control. I think a pump would be great for exercise and fine tuning but I personally would recommend a cgm first. I use the libre which is a flash sensor, not strictly cgm, but I am fortunate to be able to self fund.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who have you asked about a pump @BNPreston ? Just ask your consultant endocrinologist.

Do you know what is causing your problems with dka? Do you know what is causing you problems with poor control? What have you done to resolve these issues on MDI and how do you think a pump will assist? If your consultant endocrinologist is not convinced of a clinical need for a pump, you will need to be able to explain the need to them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You have to be able to show some degree of having tried all regimes of insulins before a pump. That you can carb count and know about dose adjusting your insulin.

If you have done all of that and still struggling your endo should consider a pump.

Numerous DKA's show that there are problems, but not necessarily with the insulin but for patients that are either ill or are not perhaps understanding what they need to do.. DKA can still occur with pumps. My old pump consultant would not consider any patient that had ben DKA, as cannula failures with no back ground insulin can lead to problems quicker than injections.

Have you tried everything and been fully compliant with your team?

BNPreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you have a cgm? I am mdi and have found this to be amazing for helping my control. I think a pump would be great for exercise and fine tuning but I personally would recommend a cgm first. I use the libre which is a flash sensor, not strictly cgm, but I am fortunate to be able to self fund.
I have heard of it but have no idea how to go about it. I will ask my consultant but ATM I haven't got one untill I have fully changed over to an alternate clinic. Thank you .

BNPreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You have to be able to show some degree of having tried all regimes of insulins before a pump. That you can carb count and know about dose adjusting your insulin.

If you have done all of that and still struggling your endo should consider a pump.

Numerous DKA's show that there are problems, but not necessarily with the insulin but for patients that are either ill or are not perhaps understanding what they need to do.. DKA can still occur with pumps. My old pump consultant would not consider any patient that had ben DKA, as cannula failures with no back ground insulin can lead to problems quicker than injections.

Have you tried everything and been fully compliant with your team?
I have been compliant but have somehow over the years lost alot of knowledge of my type 1 diabetes and could do with a huge refresher as if though I have only just been diagnosed. I have been in and out of jobs and had a lot going on it seems I can only manage work or my health and I now realise it's time to put 110 % concentration on my diabetes control I could just do with help and advice from people that actually know what being a diabetic entails and that is the reason I was advised to join this forum as I never knew it existed.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BNPreston Once you get your knowledge back up, the perhaps you could ask about a pump then?

You would have shown commitment, and if your control still didn't improve then it would be evidence in your favour for a pump.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sounds like you are a bit unsettled... but you can improve things.

See if you can get hold of "think like a pancreas" book and do an online Bertie course (havent got a link for that though, sorry).

Do you carb count or adjust your bolus/basal?

Do ask team for a two week free trial of a Libre. Yes, afterwards they have to be purchased currently but it will help you gain basics again..

Forum is great, glad you found it.

Keep posting..

Reactions: azure