Do you ride a motorbike?

jan681

i used to i had a varity of bikes including kawjki kz 440 ltd a susski gs 850 sttreet fighter and evrythinh in between unfountuy i was knocked of by a drunk driver many moons ago so that put paid to end of my biking days

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
What's the point of motorbikes because there a lot dangerous than a car all you mainly have is a helmet protecting you (Which I think is a legal requirement in UK but the leather gear isn't correct me if I'm wrong) and the leather gear if you choose to wear it. If you were to crash you can easily die/get seriously injured (You hear about it a lot of times) because there's no safety compared to cars which have seatbelts and airbags which motorbikes don't have. Not to mention even if you just fell off you can still get injured e.g my cousin used to ride a motorbike but he fell off and broke his leg. Stopped riding after that and choose a car. He's Never been on motorbike ever since. Not to mention on a motorbike there's hardly any storage space and also you can't carry any people apart from 1 passenger (Depending on your bike) but you can't carry 4 passengers like in a car. Not to mention there's many times our local buses have honked or other cars/lorries due to motorcycles being to close or leaving there indicator on too long or other reasons etc,,

Last edited:

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the point of motorbikes because there a lot dangerous than a car all you mainly have is a helmet protecting you (Which I think is a legal requirement in UK but the leather gear isn't correct me if I'm wrong) and the leather gear if you choose to wear it. If you were to crash you can easily die/get seriously injured (You hear about it a lot of times) because there's no safety compared to cars which have seatbelts and airbags which motorbikes don't have. Not to mention even if you just fell off you can still get injured e.g my cousin used to ride a motorbike but he fell off and broke his leg. Stopped riding after that and choose a car. He's Never been on motorbike ever since. Not to mention on a motorbike there's hardly any storage space and also you can't carry any people apart from 1 passenger (Depending on your bike) but you can't carry 4 passengers like in a car. Not to mention there's many times our local buses have honked or other cars/lorries due to motorcycles being to close or leaving there indicator on too long or other reasons etc,,

Its not the bike that is unsafe, it is the driver/rider!!!

How about the 17 year old speeding in their car not long after passing their test & showing off??

My Dad always had motorbikes, he was killed when I was 2 by a drunk on a motorbike. Several friends have died in crashes showing off in their cars and even more have been injured by morons in cars speeding etc.

It is personal choice and no one can judge by what you choose to drive the same as people shouldnt judge others by anything else.

Reactions: hankjam and Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Your absolutely right, but it's feeling of freedom when riding a motorbike which you don't get stuck behind a wheel of a car.

Although it is some years since I was a biker I have some fond memories riding various bikes, sometimes I wish I could go back and live those times again :(

Reactions: jjraak and MH2010

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Your absolutely right, but it's feeling of freedom when riding a motorbike which you don't get stuck behind a wheel of a car.

Although it is some years since I was a biker I have some fond memories riding various bikes, sometimes I wish I could go back and live those times again :(
I suppose sometimes it's also because you can be younger to ride a motorbike rather than a car and it's properly cheaper. I just personally don't like them . me and my friend have almost been hit by a motorbike because of the rider turning his indicator on too late but he managed to break in time. Not to mention one of my friends has a fear of motorbikes because someone in her family died because of a accident.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a small Honda 90 when I was doing the Knowledge for 3 years. When I qualified as a London cabbie I didn't actually like driving a cab, and I got my licence during the 1981 recession and wasn't even making enough to pay for the hire of the cab and diesel. So I stayed in my day job. I got a Honda CD 250 for commuting to work mainly, and rode it for about 5 years.

I gave it up after the third time I came off, twice because a car driver pulled out from a side road without seeing me, and once at a junction where lorries had spilled diesel, then light rain had made it like an ice rink.
Luckily apart from minor scrapes and bruises I was unhurt, but I thought it was time to give up before I had a more serious accident. That was almost 20 years ago.

Lately I have been thinking about getting on two wheels again. I am tempted to buy a Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster. I keep looking at them online. But I don't think I could justify the cost just for a ride once or twice a week when the weather is good.
And as I don't have a garage it would be insecure on our forecourt, with a good chance of being stolen.

Reactions: jjraak

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only just seen this post, I ride the 2017 Triumph street triple 765RS at the moment. Bikes have been a big part of me for many years.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lately I have been thinking about getting on two wheels again. I am tempted to buy a Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster. I keep looking at them online. But I don't think I could justify the cost just for a ride once or twice a week when the weather is good.

A fair weather biker @Prem51 ;)

Seriously though I'd be the same mate if I were to get another bike.

Reactions: hankjam and jjraak

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A fair weather biker @Prem51 ;)
When I was doing the Knowledge, and later using a bike to commute I used it in all weathers, except when there was snow or ice on the road. But now I'm retired it would only be used for leisure trips, and it's not much fun riding in the rain or cold. I probably should have got a Harley when I was working and commuting. But they do cost a lot, and have high insurance costs if I only ride it in good weather. OK for somewhere like California where they have sunshine and dry weather most of the year, but not really for the uk.
I am still tempted though.

Maybe when I win the Lottery. :D

Last edited:

kazam401

I'm a Kawasaki Z1000SX rider bought it brand new in May this year - absolutely love it. Have had Bandit 650, VFR800 V Tech, Triumph Bonneville America, Kawasaki Ninja 636 & Honda CBF1000 within the last 8 year's or so. Passed the IAM test about 4 year's ago & regularly go on Sunday rides with SLAM (South Lancashire Advanced Motorcyclists) Did a European tour to Krackow a couple of years ago on the CBF doing 2500+ miles in 10 days with no problems at all & I am now 53 & been a T1 since 1982. Best mode of transport by far - I cannot stand driving a cage in this overcrowded island.

xjr13steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
started off with a Yamaha Maxim X 700 as soon as I passed my test (seriously Yamaha? a Genesis 5 valve engine in a custom frame, mental toy) followed by a heavily modded Kawasaki ZZR1100 C2 (even more mental), then a ZX9R Ninja during my Captain Sensible years before becoming old and slow so now ride a mildly tuned Yamaha XJR1300...
Only riding issues relate to a work accident which has left me with neck and shoulder problems... type 2 diagnosis has had no effect either to riding or my insurance... you just can't beat the feeling of freedom, particularly in heavy traffic when all the sheeples are stuck in their tin boxes :)

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
I suppose sometimes it's also because you can be younger to ride a motorbike rather than a car and it's properly cheaper. I just personally don't like them . me and my friend have almost been hit by a motorbike because of the rider turning his indicator on too late but he managed to break in time. Not to mention one of my friends has a fear of motorbikes because someone in her family died because of a accident.

If only life was risk free. You can take your chance and venture out and risk being run over by a bus, car etc or you can stay indoors and live forever!!! I used to ride motorbikes, if only I could have another, and currently ride the boy in my profile pic.

Reactions: hankjam