Hypo

Wayne18000

Had my 2nd hypo today since being diagnosed. Frightened the life out of me. Has been 2 months since was diagnosed with type 1, then last month they said it was probably type 2. I take lantus and novorapid. Had the Lucozade then biscuits and blood sugar went up to 13.5, tested again 5 minutes later and it was 2.4! Panicked so tested again and was 11.2! Is it possible for the testing monitor to get it wrong!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Wayne, it looks like your meter gave you a false reading at 2.4, so you were right to test again, what meter are you using ? Generally they are fairly accurate but this looks completely out of synch with your other 2 readings so yes it does look like a false reading. Do you know what caused the hypo ? as it's good to have a clear understanding of what happened to help you avoid in future.

Reactions: azure

Wayne18000

Hi, I'm using a caresensN testing monitor. Not sure what caused the hypo cos bloods were around the same that they usually are when I wake up 6.4. Had the same for breakfast what I normally have, but 2 hours after when I test bloods are normally 12ish but today they were 7.4, have been sweating all morning with the heat so maybe that was the cause

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Wayne18000 So are you sure you had a hypo ? Sorry i'm probably sounding confused but the 2.4 was more than likely an error as it was 5 mins after 13.5 which doesn't sound accurate, but did you have a hypo reading on your meter ?

Sometimes heat can be confused with hypo particularly if you're exercising.

Wayne18000

Yes sorry I should have stated that first reading was 3.4, I tested cos was feeling a bit shakey and hungry

Katey14064

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did your meter come with testing solution..Might be worth a check
Also if you had wet hands when you tested it could have diluted your blood maybe?

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my 2nd hypo today since being diagnosed. Frightened the life out of me. Has been 2 months since was diagnosed with type 1, then last month they said it was probably type 2. I take lantus and novorapid. Had the Lucozade then biscuits and blood sugar went up to 13.5, tested again 5 minutes later and it was 2.4! Panicked so tested again and was 11.2! Is it possible for the testing monitor to get it wrong!
Sounds like you had a miss read. This weekend I've had silly numbers and it's all down to the hot weather. Always worth a retest wouldn't expect a rise from 2.1 to 13.5 in five minutes but then I don't dare touch Lucazade.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
ive found with this current heatwave, that I can feel very close to a hypo a lot of the time unless I drink a lot more water than I normally do. I know it sounds simple but I didn't realise that just needing more fluid - not even feeling thirsty or being dehydrated - made such a huge difference. Maybe you need to drink more too?

XBel

Someone mentioned having wet hands, but there is the alternative, did you actually wash your hands properly? as the 2 higher results could have been contaminated with lucozade or biccie residue....

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes /insulin/ sleep Apnoea / apart from that not bad lol
ive found with this current heatwave, that I can feel very close to a hypo a lot of the time unless I drink a lot more water than I normally do. I know it sounds simple but I didn't realise that just needing more fluid - not even feeling thirsty or being dehydrated - made such a huge difference. Maybe you need to drink more too?
agree when its hot i feel that i am having a hypo when doing work , or stuff