Hypos a many

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narrow minded arrogant people. Bradford . Rainy days
hi everybody! Recently I started a very active Job. And as I'm working all day, with sweat pouring off me, and I'm having hypos very frequently, yesterday I drank four bottles of Lucozade to relieve my hypos, my question is, is having many hypos a day Bad for me,?. Also, on the same point, is drinking a lot of Lucozade bad for me? Or is it ok as I'm working it off? Because sugar is bad for you but since I have had type one diabetes, I have never had as much sugar as I have now just to treat hypos!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every hypo we have puts us in a bit of danger and as you are having so many you may be likely to lose your hypo awareness, how long have you been at the new job? You may have to look into changing your basal doses or try with the bolus doses x

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Every hypo is doing you harm. You must find the happy medium to stop this happening. How many a day, how close together? This needs to be delt with and quickly. The same for hypers, be careful and stay safe.

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for your replies I've only been in this job a couple of weeks now, plus when I eat my lunch and don't inject bolus, I "work off" the carbs and when I get home at teatime my blood glucose is usually in range and sometimes keeps dropping. In regards to the hypos been damaging @leslie10152 , does having frequent hypos damage you long term (e.g. Organ Or brain)or is it just a risk of the drop leading to diabetic coma? As I'm still new to all this, I struggle to understand how I'm supposed to live my life.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Thanks for your replies I've only been in this job a couple of weeks now, plus when I eat my lunch and don't inject bolus, I "work off" the carbs and when I get home at teatime my blood glucose is usually in range and sometimes keeps dropping. In regards to the hypos been damaging @leslie10152 , does having frequent hypos damage you long term (e.g. Organ Or brain)or is it just a risk of the drop leading to diabetic coma? As I'm still new to all this, I struggle to understand how I'm supposed to live my life.
Hypos and hypers have cumulative damage. Small effects that accumulate over time. This is why we maintain control as tightly as possible. Coma and other severe conditions are there to be acknowledged, but longterm damage is more difficult to see. Eyes, heart, liver, brain can deteriorate too slow to anticipate, but it will strike you sooner or later. Plan ahead before you are dead.

D

Deleted Account

When you exercise, two things happen
- your body becomes more efficient in using insulin so you need less and may hypo at the time
- your body dumps some glucose into your blood to help you with your exercise so you have less reserves for later so may hypo during the night.

The best way of handling this is to reduce your basal and, maybe eat a little more slow acting carbs (like porridge or muesli bars) before you start.
Over time, you may find your body gets used to the exercise and will start to settle down so monitor and, if you start to see your BG rising, increase your basal back up again.

Lots of hypos are not good and lucozade is not designed to drink a lot of so I suspect there are ingredients which are not good for you in bulk (but I am speculating there so may be wrong ... although I would avoid it, just in case).

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers have cumulative damage. Small effects that accumulate over time. This is why we maintain control as tightly as possible. Coma and other severe conditions are there to be acknowledged, but longterm damage is more difficult to see. Eyes, heart, liver, brain can deteriorate too slow to anticipate, but it will strike you sooner or later. Plan ahead before you are dead.
Thanks for reply, I really appreciate it. My problem is that I'm 37yrs old and have no qualifications, I have been a manual labourer all my life before being diagnosed with type one diabetes , the only way I can manage this is when I'm sat doing nothing, then eat what I eat, inject insulin and sit doing nothing all day.