Eat anything

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narrow minded arrogant people. Bradford . Rainy days
i have type 1 since 2014, so still quite new. Is it true that I can eat anything(I regularly eat desserts , biscuits , etc.) as long as i inject enough bolus, or am I missing something in the small print?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Benbaclat Yes that's correct, as long as you can correctly match the bolus dose for the carbs eaten then you can eat anything.

However.. I would suggest as a newly diagnosed to not rush head on into this, as you will need to ensure that your carb/insulin ratios suit you, which will come with time, so experiment with the foods you normally eat and record your results. In time the NHS should offer you a week long course on 'Dose Adjustment for normal eating' DAFNE, which will help you understand the carb content of foods, adjusting insulin doses and general health for type 1, this is a really useful course for getting your head round carbs/insulin, in the meantime you can download 'carbs and cals' on your phone or buy the book which tells you the carb content of food - very useful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Along with the non-diabetic population it's important to eat healthy when you have type 1 @Benbaclat , I'm not a member of the Diet Police but to say you can eat anything isn't completely true I'm afraid, eating biscuits and desserts (should you wish) should be eaten as a treat rather than something you eat everyday.

My own diet isn't too restrictive and I eat most foods, but like all things in life it comes down to moderation.

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Along with the non-diabetic population it's important to eat healthy when you have type 1 @Benbaclat , I'm not a member of the Diet Police but to say you can eat anything isn't completely true I'm afraid, eating biscuits and desserts (should you wish) should be eaten as a treat rather than something you eat everyday.

My own diet isn't too restrictive and I eat most foods, but like all things in life it comes down to moderation.
Hi, thanks for replies, but what exactly is a healthy diet for me? Is eating desserts worse for me than for somebody without diabetes?

D

Deleted Account

A healthy diet for type 1 diabetes is the same as a healthy diet for anyone.
I have found most of this is around reducing your weight (including at the DAFNE course). As a slim person with a BMI of 21, I ignore this.
Over time, you may find some food is harder to bolus your insulin for that others. Typically, high carb meals with high fat are most challenging - you may read about the "pizza problem".
Typically, desserts are not too bad but I find I struggle a little with my BG when I have a choco-fest (a large bar of chocolate in one sitting to the "pizza problem".

Reactions: azure

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A healthy diet for type 1 diabetes is the same as a healthy diet for anyone.
I have found most of this is around reducing your weight (including at the DAFNE course). As a slim person with a BMI of 21, I ignore this.
Over time, you may find some food is harder to bolus your insulin for that others. Typically, high carb meals with high fat are most challenging - you may read about the "pizza problem".
Typically, desserts are not too bad but I find I struggle a little with my BG when I have a choco-fest (a large bar of chocolate in one sitting to the "pizza problem".
Thanks helensaramay , but to clarify, as long as I match my bolus to my carbs, I can effectively eat as I please with no more damage to my being than that of a person without type1 ?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it all depends complications develop later in life in a diabetic if they have been exposed to high blood sugar over a period of time, in theory yes you can have your cake and eat it lets say but its best to have anything like this after a proper meal and also to pinpoint the timing of your insulin so your blood sugars don't spike too much after it x

D

Deleted Account

Thanks helensaramay , but to clarify, as long as I match my bolus to my carbs, I can effectively eat as I please with no more damage to my being than that of a person without type1 ?
Yes - if you maintain BG within the approved range, the risk of complication is greatly reduced. I don't think you can ever entirely remove the risk of complications - some people maintain good control but are still unfortunate in getting complications.
If you can avoid the spikes which many people talk about by managing your bolus, this is fine.
Sure, cutting down on carbs (including biscuits) will reduce the chance of these spikes. But you know what is best for you in terms of both BG control and quality of life.

I do not let people tell me I should not be eating biscuits because I have diabetes. I believe these people do not understand the condition.

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi, thanks for replies, but what exactly is a healthy diet for me? Is eating desserts worse for me than for somebody without diabetes?

The opinion on what is a healthy diet varies (especially on diabetes forums such as this one) and there isn't one diet that suits all, but if you do a Google search you will find that the Mediterranean Diet comes up time and time again to be the most healthiest above all others, as a type 1 there's no reasons why you can't follow it to some degree (as I do). I'm sure in time you'll find the right diet that works for you that keeps you healthy and fit (and also keeps your bg, bp, cholesterol and weight in check).

Desserts, someone without diabetes will be able to handle one better than someone who has type 1 diabetes, but much depends on the dessert eaten and the quantity of course, I'm not a big dessert eater so won't say too much on the subject :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
One thing not mentioned yet; insulin flushes glucose out of your blood stream and into your tissues.
Once the limited storage in your muscles and organs is full, the rest goes into fat cells.
This is the same as the automatic process managed by a healthy pancreas.
If you get it right your body should behave close to that of someone with a healthy pancreas.

However there are some very unhealthy people with a healthy pancreas.
If you eat ridiculous amounts of sugars and carbohydrates, for example, you can possibly keep your BG stable but you are going to put on a lot of weight.

Another thing - if you start using a lot of insulin I think you can build up insulin resistance which sets up a vicious circle of more insulin then more resistance.

So, like T2s, you can eat anything but this doesn't mean you necessarily should.:)

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opinion on what is a healthy diet varies (especially on diabetes forums such as this one) and there isn't one diet that suits all, but if you do a Google search you will find that the Mediterranean Diet comes up time and time again to be the most healthiest above all others, as a type 1 there's no reasons why you can't follow it to some degree (as I do). I'm sure in time you'll find the right diet that works for you that keeps you healthy and fit (and also keeps your bg, bp, cholesterol and weight in check).

Desserts, someone without diabetes will be able to handle one better than someone who has type 1 diabetes, but much depends on the dessert eaten and the quantity of course, I'm not a big dessert eater so won't say too much on the subject :)
Thanks for reply, I will take that onboard

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
One thing not mentioned yet; insulin flushes glucose out of your blood stream and into your tissues.
Once the limited storage in your muscles and organs is full, the rest goes into fat cells.
This is the same as the automatic process managed by a healthy pancreas.
If you get it right your body should behave close to that of someone with a healthy pancreas.

However there are some very unhealthy people with a healthy pancreas.
If you eat ridiculous amounts of sugars and carbohydrates, for example, you can possibly keep your BG stable but you are going to put on a lot of weight.

Another thing - if you start using a lot of insulin I think you can build up insulin resistance which sets up a vicious circle of more insulin then more resistance.

So, like T2s, you can eat anything but this doesn't mean you necessarily should.:)
Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have type 1 since 2014, so still quite new. Is it true that I can eat anything(I regularly eat desserts , biscuits , etc.) as long as i inject enough bolus, or am I missing something in the small print?

I eat desserts and find as long as I'm sensible, my BS stays in range fine. I don't have a dessert every day, but I wouldn't do that if I didn't have Type 1 either.

Moderstion in all things generally holds true :)

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I eat desserts and find as long as I'm sensible, my BS stays in range fine. I don't have a dessert every day, but I wouldn't do that if I didn't have Type 1 either.

Moderstion in all things generally holds true :)
Thanks for the advice ,before my diagnosis I never had anything sweet , since having type 1 I crave anything sweet! the struggle continues.