Medical Alert Jewellery

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If a school (as most schools do I assume) has a policy of no jewellery do they consider medical alert jewellery to be acceptable/excempt? Do they expect the jewellery to be removed during PE or swimming? Just wondering for the future, it's not an issue now but I wonder what secondary schools allow as this is when I expect Jess will wear something more routinely. Just wondering what other parents/diabetics experiences have been with regard to school policy on jewellery.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
It varies a lot between schools, but i've never heard of a school that has banned medicalert jewelery, as it's a medical aid.

For safety reasons it will have to be taken off during PE, practical lessons etc, but that shouldn't be a problem as the person in responsibility should always know your child is diabetic anyway.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
I teach in a secondary SEN school and we allow medic alert jewellery - for PE as long as it is under the top and not dangling that is fine - for swimming it has to be removed - but then all our staff carry info about medical problems with any child. I think a necklace would be better than a bracelet as long as it is on a long chain.

meisonlyme

I was allowed to wear my medicalert bracelet in school and they had a ban on bracelets/necklaces and rings (stud earrings were accepted though!).

I had two bracelets- a normal one with a silver chain and one with a sports type band that I wore for pe (and still use now when I go to the gym) so that it didnt dangle. This was accepted even though other jewellery (such as earrings) had to be removed for pe.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone for the replies. That's reassuring to know that the id can be worn at school. It's the walk home after school when she'll be on her own that I would be concerned about and want her to have some form of medical information available. I know if it were a matter of her remembering to put a bracelet on after school that she'd always forget so it's better if it's something that can be worn all the time and not have to be remembered. It's a few years away so I'm getting ahead of myself a bit really.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
always best to be prepared - I'm a belt and braces kinda gal myself :)

k9kitty

Hi there,
I am not up on what schools allow but you can buy a small rubber bracelet with diabetes and the international logo on which is much like the charity bands people wear. I got mine on ebay and it comes in a range of colours for under a fiver. Perhaps, one of these could be worn for pe, they are also waterproof and come in child sizes as well as adults. You can ware them all the time.

If you write to the head and personal tutor before term time begins and explain that the medi alert bracelet needs to be worn at all times and is a piece of medical equipment they might give Jess a note to carry giving permission for its use during pe.

shell123x

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply but I've only just joined this site and saw your post. When I was at school I had two braclets one I wore out and about (which is pretty and expensive) but for school because it was only school I wore a rubber type band which had all the details on, like the bands you get for charity. However most people at my school knew about my diabetes and if it's for P.E or Dance they may ask you to take it off but the person who is leading your class should be aware of your diabetes so always make sure the teacher who is leading your class or any other class knows about your diabetes and what to do just in case something does happen and paremedics are needed to be involved.

Shell :D

liklejojo

Hi

I was allowed to wear my medical bracelet during secondary school, they didn't seem to mind from what I remember.

Just in case any one is struggling with finding medical jewellery I get mine from this website, there reasonably priced considering, and there much prettier to look at than the plain silver sos talisman :)

icegems.co.uk