Forgotten if I took my basal dose

HasanG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on a split dose of levemir + carb counting with novorapid and I have just had a hypo but I have forgotten if I took my dose of levemir. I should have taken this dose about 6 hours ago. Is it fine if I run without it for 6 hours or should I take a half extra dose?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We can't directly answer your question as that's considered medical advice.

However, IF IT WERE ME (and it's not) I probably wouldn't take a second dose considering the fact that I was dealing with a hypo. As a former Levemir user, it happened on a few occasions were I couldn't remember. My personal mindset is that it's better to be 3 mmol/l too high than too low (but again, that's just me).

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on a split dose of levemir + carb counting with novorapid and I have just had a hypo but I have forgotten if I took my dose of levemir. I should have taken this dose about 6 hours ago. Is it fine if I run without it for 6 hours or should I take a half extra dose?
For future Hasan, if this may happen again - it's best to monitor your BG closely over the hours leading up to your next injection. You can correct with your Novorapid if need be.

If you double dose your basal then you run the risk of nasty hypos. As @TorqPenderloin, better a little high than too low.

How's things today?

HasanG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For future Hasan, if this may happen again - it's best to monitor your BG closely over the hours leading up to your next injection. You can correct with your Novorapid if need be.

If you double dose your basal then you run the risk of nasty hypos. As @TorqPenderloin, better a little high than too low.

How's things today?
I am fine, thanks for asking.
I did not take an extra dose but I had a hypo overnight and woke up at 5.4 mmol/l. I'll probably record when I basal now.