Baby Measuring Big

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me whilst I get the grip of things!

As the title says my baby is measuring big. I'm 33 weeks pregnant however my little bundle is measuring in around 36/37 weeks and is 5.9lbs. I'm type 1 diabetic since childhood so I've always known I'll be brought in a little earlier than normal (38/39 weeks). However I was shocked today... I say shocked as in near fell off the chair!! because the doctor was going to bring me in this week to have steroids for my babies lungs because he was going to induce me in 2 weeks or less. However he and the consultants decided to wait 2 weeks to re-scan baby (trying to get me as close to 38 weeks) and if she's still measuring a lot bigger then they're keeping me in to have the steroids and then the following week or so they're inducing me. It would mean that I'd be 36 weeks or so.. Anyway my question is has anyone ever had this done or heard of anyone being brought in that early?

Sorry for the long post,
Thanks in advance!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there everyone,

As the title says my baby is measuring big. I'm 33 weeks pregnant however my little bundle is measuring in around 36/37 weeks and is 5.9lbs. I'm type 1 diabetic since childhood so I've always known I'll be brought in a little earlier than normal (38/39 weeks). However I was shocked today... I say shocked as in near fell off the chair!! because the doctor was going to bring me in this week to have steroids for my babies lungs because he was going to induce me in 2 weeks or less. However he and the consultants decided to wait 2 weeks to re-scan baby (trying to get me as close to 38 weeks) and if she's still measuring a lot bigger then they're keeping me in to have the steroids and then the following week or so they're inducing me. It would mean that I'd be 36 weeks or so.. Anyway my question is has anyone ever had this done or heard of anyone being brought in that early?

Sorry for the long post,
Thanks in advance!

Aaaww, bless you, quite a shock :wideyed: I hope the consultants can leave it as long as possible. My experience is totally different to yours, but i had my baby at 33 weeks, an emergency cesarean, she is a happy and a lovely, healthy 16 year old now. I know babies of diabetic mother's can have bigger babies, mine wasn't at 33 weeks, but the longer they hold on the better it is for baby, as the lungs are not developed properly yet. Did the consultant give you reason's as to why they might want to induce you earlier ? I hope it all gets a little better for you, try not to worry to much( difficult I know) and fingers crossed X

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aaaww, bless you, quite a shock :wideyed: I hope the consultants can leave it as long as possible. My experience is totally different to yours, but i had my baby at 33 weeks, an emergency cesarean, she is a happy and a lovely, healthy 16 year old now. I know babies of diabetic mother's can have bigger babies, mine wasn't at 33 weeks, but the longer they hold on the better it is for baby, as the lungs are not developed properly yet. Did the consultant give you reason's as to why they might want to induce you earlier ? I hope it all gets a little better for you, try not to worry to much( difficult I know) and fingers crossed X

Thank you for your reply 33 weeks must have been a shock I'm so glad everything worked out for you The doctor said that I could run into some problems if she gets too big and it would be better for both of us if she was delivered early. I guess he knows what he's doing it doesn't stop us from worrying though. Hopefully I'll make it a little further and she'll grow a little slower so she can have time to fully develop x

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I was induced at 34 weeks as my insulin requirements dropped, I went in on the Monday and had the steroids on Monday and Wednesday night, induced on the friday and baby finally arrived early Monday. All was well. I was told the baby is basically fully developed once you are at 34 weeks so minimal risk of any long term problems, the steroids just help support their lungs.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for your reply 33 weeks must have been a shock I'm so glad everything worked out for you The doctor said that I could run into some problems if she gets too big and it would be better for both of us if she was delivered early. I guess he knows what he's doing it doesn't stop us from worrying though. Hopefully I'll make it a little further and she'll grow a little slower so she can have time to fully develop x

Hi I just looked online and a found a link about diabetic mums and the placenta can age more quickly, also it may get more cramped inside the womb for baby to grow, so those could be a factor ? Just to add, I was just over 42 years old when I had my daughter, we were so well looked after in hospital and everything worked out well X,

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son is now coming upto 7 weeks ... I'm also type one ... I was induced because a they thought placenta may be failing due to my insulin requirements dropping a lot and b baby was big ... they didn't want to do steroid injections though which I am very angry at! I was 35 weeks ... anyway their weight prediction was WAY off and my son was born at 35+1 weeks weighing 5 lb 15 and half oz so pretty much 6lb ... not big at all!! He also had to spend a week in scbu which prob wouldn't of been needed if they had given me steroid jabs ... v traumatic week for me which could of been avoided ... my advice if there is no immediate medical worry with bubba I would (and will next time ) try to go to term as much as possible presuming no placenta issues etc xxx

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son is now coming upto 7 weeks ... I'm also type one ... I was induced because a they thought placenta may be failing due to my insulin requirements dropping a lot and b baby was big ... they didn't want to do steroid injections though which I am very angry at! I was 35 weeks ... anyway their weight prediction was WAY off and my son was born at 35+1 weeks weighing 5 lb 15 and half oz so pretty much 6lb ... not big at all!! He also had to spend a week in scbu which prob wouldn't of been needed if they had given me steroid jabs ... v traumatic week for me which could of been avoided ... my advice if there is no immediate medical worry with bubba I would (and will next time ) try to go to term as much as possible presuming no placenta issues etc xxx

Thank you for your reply I'm so sorry you had to go through that experience and I hope everything is going well for you now.. if it came to it and I had to go in early I would really want to have the steroids for my babies sake. Thank you for sharing your experience and I truely do believe that we know are own bodies and babies inside us! Even if it means going through a c-section I'd like to keep her there as long as possible given it is safe to do so xxx

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was induced at 34 weeks as my insulin requirements dropped, I went in on the Monday and had the steroids on Monday and Wednesday night, induced on the friday and baby finally arrived early Monday. All was well. I was told the baby is basically fully developed once you are at 34 weeks so minimal risk of any long term problems, the steroids just help support their lungs.

Thank you for your reply I'm glad everything worked out well for you.. it gives me some reassurance

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I just looked online and a found a link about diabetic mums and the placenta can age more quickly, also it may get more cramped inside the womb for baby to grow, so those could be a factor ? Just to add, I was just over 42 years old when I had my daughter, we were so well looked after in hospital and everything worked out well X,

Thats quite interesting I must look into it, I'm pleased to hear you were looked after so well.. some doctors can be fabulous in those situations x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did they do a rescan @Gemma_x500 ?

I had a scare when they told me my baby was measuring 3 weeks behind, but an extra scan showed that was wrong and that he was fine. I had that extra scan within a few days.

How's your control been?

There are a number of ladies here who were induced early for various reasons so don't worry {{hugs}}

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya. My first baby measured very large at 33 weeks. They estimated her to be 7lb at the time. I went in for the steroids which was the worst experience of my life. Horrible! I was in for 4 days. She was delivered by emergency c-section at 36 weeks and weighed 7lb 4oz. The growth scan must have been significantly inaccurate!
Baby number 2's measurements were ok and she came out at 38 weeks 7lb 5oz.

It's so difficult to know what to do. I bitterly regret all of the unnecessary interventions that took place with my first. However, I did use my heart and my head. I was told that she needed to come out, so I agreed.

She struggled to latch, and I firmly believe that this was because she was so young. Baby number 2 had no problems latching st 38 weeks.

In both instances we were in NICU for a couple of days because of low blood sugar. I would recommend trying to hand express some colostrum after 36 weeks if you can. They give this to baby and it made me feel like I was really doing something to help her in an otherwise scary situation.

Both girls are thriving now. Follow your heart, and question the obstetrician till you're sure you've got the whole picture. Good luck!

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did they do a rescan @Gemma_x500 ?

I had a scare when they told me my baby was measuring 3 weeks behind, but an extra scan showed that was wrong and that he was fine. I had that extra scan within a few days.

How's your control been?

There are a number of ladies here who were induced early for various reasons so don't worry {{hugs}}

Thank you for replying.. pregnancy must be one of the most joyful yet nerve racking times I'm glad everything was ok with your re-scan, unfortunately I have to wait another two weeks for mine which seems like forever! My control has been very good.. hard at times however doctors seem very please with it so far. Thank you for the reassurance x

Reactions: azure

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya. My first baby measured very large at 33 weeks. They estimated her to be 7lb at the time. I went in for the steroids which was the worst experience of my life. Horrible! I was in for 4 days. She was delivered by emergency c-section at 36 weeks and weighed 7lb 4oz. The growth scan must have been significantly inaccurate!
Baby number 2's measurements were ok and she came out at 38 weeks 7lb 5oz.

It's so difficult to know what to do. I bitterly regret all of the unnecessary interventions that took place with my first. However, I did use my heart and my head. I was told that she needed to come out, so I agreed.

She struggled to latch, and I firmly believe that this was because she was so young. Baby number 2 had no problems latching st 38 weeks.

In both instances we were in NICU for a couple of days because of low blood sugar. I would recommend trying to hand express some colostrum after 36 weeks if you can. They give this to baby and it made me feel like I was really doing something to help her in an otherwise scary situation.

Both girls are thriving now. Follow your heart, and question the obstetrician till you're sure you've got the whole picture. Good luck!

Hi there, that must have been quite a shock to you with your first.. I'm so glad both are doing ok now. It's very daunting isn't it and with this being my first too I'm all new to everything. Thank you so much for your advice and I will definitely be asking loads of questions from now on. Wishing the best for you and your two girls

Reactions: Poosecat

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there! I just thought I'd share my experience as this sounds similar to my pregnancy. My daughter was weighing in at 7lb 7oz at 34 weeks pregnant- he measurements were very off as they can be. I was induced at 35+6 due to decrease in insulin needs I gave birth at exactly 36 weeks gestation via emergency caesarean and she weighed 7lbs 8oz, of course by the scan we thought she would be more like 8-9lbs at 36 weeks. She did spend a little while in scbu, she was born with perfect sugar levels but due to her not latching, her sugar levels dropped and then they became aware that she was jaundiced, but nothing really diabetes related.
Also EDITED to add that I had steroid injections which did hurt but they actually didn't affect my sugars much at all - everyone is different - and if you are on a pump you are able to stay on the pump during this time if you wish but you will have to fight for it
Hope this helps x x

Gemma_x500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there! I just thought I'd share my experience as this sounds similar to my pregnancy. My daughter was weighing in at 7lb 7oz at 34 weeks pregnant- he measurements were very off as they can be. I was induced at 35+6 due to decrease in insulin needs I gave birth at exactly 36 weeks gestation via emergency caesarean and she weighed 7lbs 8oz, of course by the scan we thought she would be more like 8-9lbs at 36 weeks. She did spend a little while in scbu, she was born with perfect sugar levels but due to her not latching, her sugar levels dropped and then they became aware that she was jaundiced, but nothing really diabetes related.
Also EDITED to add that I had steroid injections which did hurt but they actually didn't affect my sugars much at all - everyone is different - and if you are on a pump you are able to stay on the pump during this time if you wish but you will have to fight for it
Hope this helps x x

Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing your experience I'm very happy that everything worked out for you and your daughter. I've also had to increase my insulin dosages to nearly triple my pre-pregnancy levels and is getting harder everyday. They expect my little girl to be 8lbs or more by 36 weeks if she keeps growing the way she is. Hoping all the best for you and your daughter xx

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there everyone,

Sorry for the long post,
Thanks in advance!

How are you doing?

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow!! I'm going through this exact situation at the moment! Found out yesterday my baby is measuring 5lb 1oz. I'm 31 weeks. My endocrinologist said she will see me back in clinic in 2 weeks and they will probably keep me in hospital until they either induce me or section me at 37/38 weeks. I'm a bit gutted to be honest! I've kept my a1c around 6.5% my whole pregnancy which I didn't think was too bad! They said they will keep me in to tighten my control even more.

Wishing you luck Gemma, hope baby stays in there for as long as possible! The last stages are scary enough as it is!

Reactions: Lekie83

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, not too bad thanks for asking insulin continues to increase each day. Just waiting until Tuesday for another scan to see if she is still growing the way she has been.

Glad to hear you're feeling ok. I remember feeling really weird about drastically reducing my insulin straight after birth. It literally plummets back to pre-pregnancy doses. I had quite a few hypos because I was in disbelief. Luckily I had a massive toblerone to work my way through. I'd been obsessing about toblerone throughout my whole pregnancy but did it dare touch it.