Top tips for starting Lchf ?

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all hoping for some advice please!
Bit of background been diagnosed type 1 for 1 year on lantus and humolog. Hba1c now down to 44 with no restrictions to diet just carb counting for my insulin. I'm getting married next year and need to shift some weight (3stone) so thought I might try lchf, I struggle to loose can maintain no problem just can't loose to begin with
So....starting lchf how much carbs should I be aiming for ? How quickly will my basal rates change ? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks for reading

Reactions: ickihun

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of background been diagnosed type 1 for 1 year on lantus and humolog. Hba1c now down to 44 with no restrictions to diet just carb counting for my insulin. I'm getting married next year and need to shift some weight (3stone) so thought I might try lchf, I struggle to loose can maintain no problem just can't loose to begin with
So....starting lchf how much carbs should I be aiming for ? How quickly will my basal rates change ? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks for reading
hi @Jen92'

For a type 1, it would be better to reduce your carbs over a period of time so that you can evaluate how it affects your basal and ratios. Also, we are all different so this might not apply to you, but I found I was adding a few kilos doing lchf so I decided to cut out dairy and am now back to where I started weight wise. I was probably overdoing the high-fat part and not counting the calories.

Reactions: azure and ringi

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on the number of carbs you're eating now and how much you want to reduce them. Both basal and bolus will change depending how fas tyou reduce them.
I am ultra low carb but have been years before DX. I take very small doses of insulin.
If you're fairly high carb now then the gradual reduction might suit you better. As well as the gradual reduction of insulin until you find your ground.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I switched to low carb last August mainly to improve my blood sugars but I also need to lose weight like you (bit more). I embraced the high fat part of LCHF a bit too much at the start LOL so weight came off slowly. I've now had a serious word with myself and now I'm eating much less fat, but not eliminating or scared of fat though. I reduced my basal first and recorded everything, started using the libre and then it's all about testing and trial and error. I'm taking 23 units of tresiba (basal) and no more then 10u novorapid a day. I was on 18u of lantus twice a day and up to 50u of novorapid (whatever I thought I needed, not based on any testing).

I have lost a stone over the last year, more since I've focused on less fat and more low carb veggies (cauli rice is good). Also started metformin with no adverse reaction, so can't say for sure whether it helps but it might be, so I'll carry on.

Best of luck

Reactions: robert72

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all very much for your replies. I am probably very high carb at the moment wouldn't think twice about 100g+ per meal so think I will slowly start reducing each meal and see where it takes me. I may be back with more questions for you all!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes fat can slow down digestion hence confuse insulin injection performance. For me.
I'm on low carb, low fat and I normally lose even with other weight gaining medical conditions.
I'm sure you will lose your 3 stones in no time.
I agree to do it slowly too. Better control over affects on other meds, if your on them.
Get your blood pressure checked regularly as some don't need as much meds, for thyroid too. If its relevant to you.