moderation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jopar said:
Perhaps a suggestion for monitors, perhaps using a different colour to post to worn of minor infringements, reserving the black bold type for dealing with the offences that require tackling, might come across more friendly :?: Just a thought...

As to monitors in general

I'm not sure about the monitor position (for clarity, it's an opinon of the title monitor and not any individual)

I feel that no indiviudal member should act as both a monitor and a moderator, these do need to kept separate...
Monitor shouldn't have the same powers as moderators.. They should only be allowed to remind members that they have made minor infridgements, but all offences above a certain level must be tackled only by a moderator..

Just my thoughts...

Jo.

We will give careful consideration to all that you have posted here.......however it must be remembered that the decisions as to what Monitor's and Moderator's do on this particular Forum is a matter for the Administrator and not individual members.

As for Monitor's and Moderator's, their powers are different for a multitude of reasons which we will not go into here. A decision of the Administrator after much careful thought. As for who is who, the Moderator's must remain anonymous at least for now. Any changes are entirely in the Administrator's hands.

We have changed the way we will now post......in future if we are posting as Monitor's it will appear as in this thread. However if there is a serious breach of Forum rules then we will post in bold type. Just to make everything abundantly clear to all members.

cugila
Forum Monitor

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ardbeg said:
My only real gripe is over the "moderating" of weblinks. Why can't we be allowed to put weblinks on here in full? If someone wants to visit it they will simply do so one way or another anyway.

Ardbeg, there is a very good reason that many web links are not clickable or, in some cases, not allowed at at all.

Some time ago we had members saying that they clicked on a particular link and immediately got virus warnings, for this reason only reputable sites, such as medical sites etc and those that are of specific use to diabetics and are known sites to us, are allowed to be clickable.

Unknown sites, etc are allowed as copy and paste if they are of use to diabetics and sites using commercial advertising are not allowed at all. The choice to copy and paste a link is then up to the members.

Moderators and Monitors do have discretion to allow some links if they have checked them and found that they are of use to the poster. Members personal web links are only allowed in their profiles, not in posts on the board.

Sugarless Sue.
Forum Monitor.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
This link gives an insight into the role of forum Moderators, perhaps if this was adopted here it would make for less conflict. As far as I'm concerned debate has been stifled here due to over zealous moderation.

The real purpose of forum moderators revealed

As your forum becomes popular, you will inevitably need help administering it. Many forum owners understand the need for forum moderators but few understand what their real purpose is. This article will reveal what forum moderators should be used for – follow this advice and you will have an immediate head-start over your competitors.

Forum moderators are not police officers

The biggest mistake forum owners make when taking on forum moderators is expecting them to police the community. Many see the main role of moderators as enforcers of the site rules, as people who delete posts they don’t like and lock topics the moment they run off-course. If these are the priorities of your moderators, you are doing it all wrong.
As I have said before, you must never repress your community. You must ensure that you moderate your forum effectively – this means adopting a laissez-faire approach and allowing your members a large amount of freedom. If you or your moderators crack down on members the second they step out of line, you will be sending a negative signal to your community that free speech is not tolerated on your site. You will make people nervous and discourage them from getting involved – hardly the ingredients for a successful community!

communityspark.com/the-real-purpose-of-forum-moderators-revealed/

Graham

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thank you for the advice. We value your input here.......

I am sure the Administrator, Monitor's and Moderator's will find it extremely interesting....... ?

As you are an infrequent visitor here from a forum where the praise for the DCUK site is overwhelming ....... maybe you are not aware that posting a link and the content of a Blog from elsewhere on the net on this Forum is not normally allowed. An Administrative decision.

We have therefore de-activated the link so members will have to 'copy and paste' to view it.

In the circumstances we will allow the post to remain here for now so as not to stifle debate.

cugila
Forum Monitor

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think this has been a useful discussion for all concerned, and all community opinions are valuable.

In the past, the forum reached a point that members were afraid to post for fear of being abused. For this reason, we were forced to batten down the hatches. Finding the right balance between moderation and policing is all we are interested in achieving.

Regards,

Admin

redrevis

This has been an interesting read.

I have to say, when I first joined, quite quickly i was accused of something by a forum monitor, which was false. Because of the accusation my thread was moved somewhere else. This immediately got my back up as it was a false accusation, which offended me in the first place and therefore i felt my thread should have been put back in it's correct place on the forum. I was told by the forum monitor that no discussion on this decision is allowed to take place and was quoted the rules of the forum. I continued to ask more questions, or in their opinion 'argue' and because of this I was temp banned. Please bear in mind that in all my communications i did not once insult the forum monitor, use any bad language towards them or say anything which could be classed as an attack on them, it was the decision i was questioning. In the communication with this forum monitor i was never told where i could express my concerns to an admin etc, it just came across as "i made the decision, it is final, no discussion, your banned" Which i found a bit harsh to be honest.

Now since then I have still used the forum and hold no grudge towards this forum monitor and i just got on with posting as normal. :D It just wasn't the best welcome to a new forum that's all. :( :lol:

dragongirl

After reading through the previous 46 posts and wishing it wasn't happening (we've been here before!) I would like to remind people that although taking one's bat home can sometimes be seen as leaving the field to the devil, which is probably why you're not doing it, there is also the seriously good option of reframing that act as: if I don't like things as they are here, go find somewhere else; if that somewhere else doesn't exist, then start a forum and run it as you wish it to be run. If no one joins, you have your answer. If they do, then you'll be happy.

There is also another point: the reason some of us accept things how they are is that we have been helped more than words can tell. And when people get that kind of help in time of need, they form a certain basic attachment to those who reached out a hand on realising we weren't waving but drowning. It's not easy to criticise people in those circs. Nor would we want to. Some things are rather less important overall once life/death issues have come into play and/or we owe a debt. "Biting the hand that feeds" comes to mind. I guess I prefer also to try and offer something to others in return. Question of focus, really. And I do have a life to lead beyond this forum. That too puts it in perspective!

Just thought I'd mention all this before grabbing the nuts and cheese again, with a cheery wave at Dan, Ken, Sue and the anonymous mods. :D
DG

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
if I don't like things as they are here, go find somewhere else

Personally, I don't want this to happen. If you don't like things here, you have every right to make some noise about it. It is only through community consensus that things evolve.

To my mind, every knowledgeable member that leaves this forum makes it a less useful place for the twenty or so signups we get everyday. This forum has made considerable leaps and bounds in opening up communication between people with diabetes. I want this to continue and grow.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dan said:
In the past, the forum reached a point that members were afraid to post for fear of being abused.

I remember that - it did get pretty ugly around here for a while.

People should be able to post without fear of being ridiculed. BUT - people should also be able to post without fear of being censored. (Please, no comments about my big but. I'm pretty sensitive about it... :wink: )

I guess this all boils down to ones view of moderation as a whole. I'm against it. We're all mature here, and we're all capable of calling BS (the other BS) when we see it. Reall life conversations are not moderated, so why should forum conversations be???

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey Patch, very interesting point. I think real life conversations differ immensely from forum conversations in terms of how far people dare to go. For instance, anyone can be a hard-man on the Internet, whereas in real life the potential repercussions would put people off.

I did float the idea of an unmoderated forum some time ago, as this fits with my vision of the community moderating itself. Unfortunately, I fear that individuals/groups would then seek to control the forum and turn it to their own ends...

Very worth of debate though...

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I personally joined towards the tail end of the two camps if you will where others where immediately ridiculing the other for differing opinions and ideas. It did actually make me stop and think what I was actually posting for fear of asking a question the others might disapprove of.

Since all the changes I have personally found it allot more friendly around here and while the opinions still differ everyone now seems to know that everyone is allowed there own way of dealing with it and its not black and white as to wrong and right.

The moderation I feel is near enough perfect balance. I don't see it often but when I do it has usually been required. I like there now anonymous so stops people going for them personally.

Just my 2p but I like it how it is just now so thanks

:)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that bothers me IS the anonymity factor. People do act up more on a forum because they can afford to be brave from behind the screen. No-one likes losing face, and it's easy to defend even the weakest point when you are seperated from the person you are arguing with by a screen.

I worry though, that mods/monitors abuse their privileges (deleting posts/ending threads/editing posts, etc...) in order to save face, or save the face of other mods/monitors. It's just a worry of mine, though - no need to discuss it further. (I'm sure I can predict what the response would be anyway).

It's a huge problem here - threads go out of control because no-one wants to back down. The thread turns into a battle between posters, not necessarily defending their own views, but just picking holes in the other posters views. The original post gets lost, and it's all about saving face.

The solution? Moderation by PM. 3 strikes, and you're out of here. (Well - maybe not 3 exactly. I think I've had more than 3 warnings... :oops: )

P.S - I love Mod 3, but I HATE Mod 1! :twisted:

jopar

Its does seem there is a confusion between a ‘System’ and ‘individual’

This is specifically about a system and how members may interact with that system, if they have a grievance they wish to address, it has to have accountability to it both as a whole system it is important that the system has a grievance protocol, that both serves the individual members and the forum as a whole. Members need to identify with the system both at a system and individual level...

A good moderation system will have in place a system of monitoring continuality, so it ensures as much as possible monitors the system to ensure that individuals that hold post within the system are not abusing privileges that been given or breaching forum rules themselves, no individual be it member, moderator etc should be deemed to be more superior than another...

Individuals that make up the moderation system shouldn’t be debated on an individual level on open forum, but instead a monitoring system and grievance protocol established that monitors their over all performance, ensuring that if a member feels that either themselves or another individual is being unfairly treated, or it seems that they might be unfairly abusing their privileges against a individual or the forum as a whole this can be addressed... And yes if it’s found there is a case to answer then yes they face the same reprimands as any other member of the forum demoted or even banned as necessary...

As to what members can do if they don’t like the system, telling them to sod off, isn’t the answers as some as experience has shown do that, and just continual were they left of, attacking both the forum and individual members of the forum...

Marky4

Site Admin wrote …

if I don't like things as they are here, go find somewhere else

Personally, I don't want this to happen. If you don't like things here, you have every right to make some noise about it. It is only through community consensus that things evolve.

To my mind, every knowledgeable member that leaves this forum makes it a less useful place for the twenty or so signups we get everyday. This forum has made considerable leaps and bounds in opening up communication between people with diabetes. I want this to continue and grow.

Thats a very encouraging statement. It's good to know that at the top of the tree, there is someone with an understanding of the importance of treating people fairly and respectfully in a healthy community . Before registering I was hanging around for a couple of months here, and to be honest also got the impression that moderation seemed to be a little suffocating on this forum. To say the least sometimes. I'm glad that with the very healthy attitude expressed above, it looks like its not the case after all.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
instead a monitoring system and grievance protocol established that monitors their over all performance

Jo, as I've said, if anyone has a grievance with a particular moderator or monitor, come directly to me and I will do my best to address it. I am always in favour of laissez-faire moderation that does not stifle debate, and I also believe that the 'rules' of this forum are only established as a benchmark to protect against abuse, and do not need to always be followed to the letter.

All we are trying to do here is provide a free environment to encourage people with diabetes to exchange information between each other. That was my original purpose in setting up the forum, and remains the purpose today. It makes me happy that thousands of people have been helped, less happy that the knowledge base we once enjoyed has been fractured by individual egos who tried to make a support system into a battleground.

C

catherinecherub

Whatever people may or may not think of this topic, I personally feel that we need members to respond to get a more balanced view. :idea: :idea:
I don't know how the monitors or mods are feeling, pretty bewildered I should think, but I would like to say that things here suit me.

Dippy3103

catherinecherub said:
Whatever people may or may not think of this topic, I personally feel that we need members to respond to get a more balanced view. :idea: :idea:
I don't know how the monitors or mods are feeling, pretty bewildered I should think, but I would like to say that things here suit me.
you are a wise lady! I have noticed the monitors havn't posted for a day and I miss them already. The place would be far poorer without them.
Sorry if people found that a little like the ken and sue appreciation society but that is how I feel.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
catherinecherub said:

No, we are not bewildered. We are just hacked off that there are those who think it is OK to criticise us in pm's and on the board and expect us to just 'roll over'. When we don't then they 'throw their toys out of the pram' and make us out to be the bad guys !! We know the agenda, we know why it is here. If it's what people want .......so be it.

Maybe we should start a thread about 'problem members'........????

I'm off................... :arrow:

Ken

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dragongirl said:
After reading through the previous 46 posts and wishing it wasn't happening (we've been here before!)

this statement for me says it all - it got really nasty here and a lot had to be done to sort it out - I am happy with the way things are now and feel for Ken & Sue they give their time and it is often a thankless task and they take it on the chin- alright I may on occasion not agree with a decision they make - but that's their job as monitors and the phrase "if you think you can do a better job...." comes to mind - me I wouldn't do it for a gold clock.

cugila said:
Maybe we should start a thread about 'problem members'........????

Now that would be fun :twisted: :twisted: (joking!)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im a fairly new member joined last september and I am very happy with this forum as it is I have been greatly helped by Ken and Sue . Ken particularly ,he sent me a PM when I had replied to a scam post and he explained why my post was deleted ,as far as I am concerned leave well alone.
CAROL

Status
Not open for further replies.