Weight lifters

Benbaclat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narrow minded arrogant people. Bradford . Rainy days
are there any type 1 people here who could advise me on what supplements are beneficial and which to avoid or is it same as for people without diabetes? I take creatine and protein shakes . Thank you

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
are there any type 1 people here who could advise me on what supplements are beneficial and which to avoid or is it same as for people without diabetes? I take creatine and protein shakes . Thank you
As far as I'm aware, the majority of supplements are alright for T1's vs that of a non-diabetic.

With the protein shakes, I'd watch your BG after taking them - as large amounts of protein when ingested without carbs can cause a significant BG rise.

On the rare occasion that I have a shake, I'll take about half the insulin I would if it were carbs. So for a 50g protein shake I'd bolus around 2u.

Testing will keep you right though.

I'll tag @tim2000s who I know has used creatine in the past and @TorqPenderloin who is a regular weight lifter.

Reactions: TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people don't like my answer but it's the truth: if it's legal and doesn't need to be issued by a doctor...then it's probably a waste of money. The only exception being if you have deficiencies in your diet and need to "Supplement" (hence the word) what you aren't getting from the food you're eating.

Protein powder is a convenience tool for me. I eat it when I don't have time to make a meal. It offers me no benefits as I get plenty of protein from the food I eat.

There are studies that do show the effectiveness of creatine supplements. However, you shouldn't expect any significant gains from taking it.

The fact of the matter is that people will always abuse substances of any kind (ex: take 3 pills instead of 2). If a supplement actually works, that creates a dangerous and potentially lethal situation. In contrast, if it doesn't create a significant danger then it's probably not that effective. It's for those reasons why I maintain my mindset that legal supplements aren't worth my money.