Todays readings

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone ive struggled today and i admit i probably ate the wrong things my levels are:

Brekkie 5.0- 7.8
Lunch 5.8- 7.9
Din 7.8- 6.9

Really worried that ive been high all day ive felt really run down past dew days
21 weeks pregnant usually within target x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sugar-rush123 . As a T1 I don't like to advice T2's it's not my field of knowledge.
But hey ho. So you've been a little higher than you would like. You know why. It's not the end of the world.
21 weeks pregnant!!!!!!! As a guy of a few to many years I'm sure that's quite a bit of stress to be having even at the best of times ( apologies ladies if I'm wrong )
Stay positive for yourself and your baby, prioritise what is ultimately important now and the upcoming weeks and I'm sure everything will work out fine.
Diabetes likes to get us down, it gains strength from our own negative thoughts. Be happy and positive and you'll be good.
Excuse the ramblings of a T1 grandad.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone ive struggled today and i admit i probably ate the wrong things my levels are:

Brekkie 5.0- 7.8
Lunch 5.8- 7.9
Din 7.8- 6.9

Really worried that ive been high all day ive felt really run down past dew days
21 weeks pregnant usually within target x

Those aren't awful levels : ) Remember IR increases around 18-20weeks.

Are you on any meds?

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those aren't awful levels : ) Remember IR increases around 18-20weeks.

Are you on any meds?

I stopped metformin due to increased dodgy side effects so now im on novorapid with meals 6-7 units and humalin i 6 units before bed. Thanks for the reassurance i have days where i cave to cravings, mcdonalds cheeseburgers and donor kebabs are not ideal and deffo not nice i didnt eat them pre-pregnancy lol i dont think i will be after yuk! X

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The targets in pregnancy are:
  • <5.3 fasting
  • <7.8 1hr post prandial
  • <6.4 2hrs post prandial
So the readings you've had today don't look really high at all. Maybe a touch higher than the aim after lunch and going into dinner, but not terrible at all. Don't beat yourself up and stress about it.

If that's what you're craving then your body and your bump are carving that for a reason.

You've got novorapid to manage blood sugar levels, just be sure your using it properly. Keep a close eye on your insulin to carb ratio and how that might change during pregnancy. Apps and Google should help with carb counting for things like McDonald's and doner kebabs. Be mindful of the timing of your bolus as that can be really effective in avoiding post prandial spikes. Are you injecting immediately before eating, or do you wait until you know your insulin is working before you eat?

This is a good read on pre bolusing - https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

Reactions: ziggy_w

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had weird cravings too : D

Have you been shown how to count carbs and adjust your Novorapid for what you're about to eat?

If you find your BS going up after a meal, moving your Novorapid slightly earlier can help stop the spike.

But really, you're doing well :)

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The targets in pregnancy are:
  • <5.3 fasting
  • <7.8 1hr post prandial
  • <6.4 2hrs post prandial
So the readings you've had today don't look really high at all. Maybe a touch higher than the aim after lunch and going into dinner, but not terrible at all. Don't beat yourself up and stress about it.

If that's what you're craving then your body and your bump are carving that for a reason.

You've got novorapid to manage blood sugar levels, just be sure your using it properly. Keep a close eye on your insulin to carb ratio and how that might change during pregnancy. Apps and Google should help with carb counting for things like McDonald's and doner kebabs. Be mindful of the timing of your bolus as that can be really effective in avoiding post prandial spikes. Are you injecting immediately before eating, or do you wait until you know your insulin is working before you eat?

This is a good read on pre bolusing - https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/
I inject usually 15-20mins before food would i be able to leave it abit longer if im a little high before meals?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject usually 15-20mins before food would i be able to leave it abit longer if im a little high before meals?

Yep, I usually bolus 30 minutes prior to eating. But I know that's fine for me and I'm not going to crash down in the interim because I have a CGM on. If your e testing higher than you'd like to be then you could try bolusing, with a correction, and waiting until that's brought you down to where you'd want to be before eating. But keep a close eye on levels when experimenting with pre bolusing. Make sure you've got a meal that can be eaten immediately, test every 5 mins to see when the movement is happening. Be cautious with pre bolusing, you don't want to hypo pre meal, because that'll just throw hypo recovery hormones in the mix to mess with nice blood sugars.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok thank you for reassurance and advice im seeing my diabetic midwife tues and i will ask her about carb counting with meals etc as sometimes i dont have too many carbs and find im too low after a meal. they have put me on a set dosage with meals and are tweaking it when i see/call them for advice they havent gone into correcting doses and carb counting yet

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thank you for reassurance and advice im seeing my diabetic midwife tues and i will ask her about carb counting with meals etc as sometimes i dont have too many carbs and find im too low after a meal. they have put me on a set dosage with meals and are tweaking it when i see/call them for advice they havent gone into correcting doses and carb counting yet

Then that's probably part of the problem. Ask them for an idea of how many carbs your set dose should cover.