Earliest morning injections

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We have to do a third levemir shot at 1.30am for my daughter to help stop the morning rise. Prior to this we were giving novorapid at 5am so she didn't have a rapid morning rise. We're normally up several other times a night sorting her blood sugars anyway!

Does the 3rd levemir lower her at 2-4 am?

I've now switched back to tresiba with a shot at 4am and a big extra nov rapid one an hour before getting up.. fortunately I got a cgm funded and it rings on my phone if levels go "awkward" at other times in night.

Nurses kept saying it was tresiba making me lower dramatically from sleeping to 3am because insulatard would be out of my body by 4pm.. yet the drops only occured from adding in the insulatard which ok for morning rises but not at night for lows.

Now on just tresiba (again) but they wanted me on too low dose.. so now upping it again otherwise like yesterday I was correcting all day. Tgey wanted me on 6, I wanted 9 but compromised for 1st week to 7.5 (hell with highs). Changed to 9.5 today so see what happens by Tuesday when the larger dosehas kicked in.

Dont envy you at all.. have they discussed a pump with you? I was brilliant on my pump. Absolutely perfect till my bodystopped liking cannulas...

rosedreams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He done late shifts for a very long time... so when diabetes should fit in to our lives I dont particularly want to go to bed without him and then just be disturbed anyway... so the worst part is 4am waking and then sometimes brain just is not awake and functioning or it wakes and I'm then awake... if I want to get up because I'm awake then I have to inject... and then if I found myself tired I couldnt go back to bed cos I've taken my waking dose as well and will go hypo.
So total frustration. When mornings are dark the livht has to go on to inject so hubby disturbed as well.

Just wish there was an alternative to the 4am waking or just to hear that somebody else has to do it would be good!! If you know what I mean..

I know on pump my basal rate shot up from .33 before 4am to 1.25 starting 4am and the cgm confirms I have to do it.
Hi donnelysdogs, I've had a few switches of insulin regimen over the yeard but for the last 16 years I've injected in early mornings to beat the dawn phenomenon, it's been my own trial and error, and my current regimen is:

- 5 a.m Levemir
- 6 a.m Novorapid 1 unit (with put food, so by 8 a.m I'm usually between 4.8 - 5.6).
- 7 p.m Novorapid 3 units with 10g carb two thirds protein, including a big salad.
- 4 p.m 2 units sometimes without food, usually with 10g carb, like an apple.
- 9 p.m Levemir

I sleep early and wake up early, I'm working by 8 a.m. and if I don't inject the Novorapid in the morning, without food, my BS would go up to 13 or more. It took a while to adjust it to a steady level but I found that in the mornings my BS tends towards highs so I cut out eating my apple, (I've never been a breakfast eater really) then and it would stay level until lunch time.

20 or 25 years ago I injected higher doses and ate more varied foods but my metabolism changed and it's down to the same amount of the same thing each day now. Boring as hell but I'd rather avoid the mess of spikes and stick to the same meals, if you can call them that.

So you're not the only one doing early morning shots, and I know it's a pain, but I wake up a few times between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. and sometimes inject 1 unit of Novorapid to correct an upward-looking result. I test 8 or 9 times a day, if not I wouldn't have a clue.

43 years of this cruel T1 hasn't made it easier, I certainly don't have great control of B.S all the time, I do a lot of corrective shots. Sometimes the body just wants to do its own thing and I tear my hair out. Thankfully I haven't had to buy a wig yet.

For me T1 is draining, all the testing and planning and intervention when necessary. But it's there and we have to bite the bullet, to get on with it...I tell myself to take it one day at a time. No more beating myself up like I used to; that only came when I realised and accepted there's no such thing as perfect control which clinic visits always made me think I wasn't getting and had to strive for. My control is not high or low, it's in between, I make a lot of effort to be 'stable' and it isn't easy.

I'm sure maby of us would relax a bit more if some doctors and nurses who falsely believe there's an ideal perfect diabetic control stop adding to the burden of diabetes with that attitude. There's always a cloud of censorship about how good we are at controlling those bloody BS and how doomed we are if we don't get it right. If we were conditioned to relax about our results -yes work on getting better results - but relax and not be under that horrible gun, it wouldn't drain the living daylights out of us so much, that head pressure to get it right all the time. They should try living with it for a day.
I must shut up now. Hope you're feeling alright.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

grannyx3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 diabetes for over 51 years and have never experienced this. Before bed I run at about 8, and on waking its between 5 and 7. My consultant is happy with this and so am I. I have no hypo awareness so like to run slightly high before bed. Apart from loosing hypo awareness and Coeliac Disease, I have no other diabetic related problems. I really feel for anyone who has to wake up to test and inject during the night and early morning. Not getting a good night sleep can affect control and it would definitely affect my temper!!

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs , the 1.30am levemir isn't perfect...1 unit drops her a bit much at 4am and half a unit still gives a small morning rise, but it helps a lot. It's never perfect is it?! But we're having the best nights we've had in the last 2 years. We've discussed pumps with our team, as they're keen for my daughter to have one. We're reluctant to go for it just yet though as she's doing well with MDI and dexcom at the moment and we worry about her losing her sense of freedom being attached to something else.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi donnelysdogs, I've had a few switches of insulin regimen over the yeard but for the last 16 years I've injected in early mornings to beat the dawn phenomenon, it's been my own trial and error, and my current regimen is:

- 5 a.m Levemir
- 6 a.m Novorapid 1 unit (with put food, so by 8 a.m I'm usually between 4.8 - 5.6).
- 7 p.m Novorapid 3 units with 10g carb two thirds protein, including a big salad.
- 4 p.m 2 units sometimes without food, usually with 10g carb, like an apple.
- 9 p.m Levemir

I sleep early and wake up early, I'm working by 8 a.m. and if I don't inject the Novorapid in the morning, without food, my BS would go up to 13 or more. It took a while to adjust it to a steady level but I found that in the mornings my BS tends towards highs so I cut out eating my apple, (I've never been a breakfast eater really) then and it would stay level until lunch time.

20 or 25 years ago I injected higher doses and ate more varied foods but my metabolism changed and it's down to the same amount of the same thing each day now. Boring as hell but I'd rather avoid the mess of spikes and stick to the same meals, if you can call them that.

So you're not the only one doing early morning shots, and I know it's a pain, but I wake up a few times between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. and sometimes inject 1 unit of Novorapid to correct an upward-looking result. I test 8 or 9 times a day, if not I wouldn't have a clue.

43 years of this cruel T1 hasn't made it easier, I certainly don't have great control of B.S all the time, I do a lot of corrective shots. Sometimes the body just wants to do its own thing and I tear my hair out. Thankfully I haven't had to buy a wig yet.

For me T1 is draining, all the testing and planning and intervention when necessary. But it's there and we have to bite the bullet, to get on with it...I tell myself to take it one day at a time. No more beating myself up like I used to; that only came when I realised and accepted there's no such thing as perfect control which clinic visits always made me think I wasn't getting and had to strive for. My control is not high or low, it's in between, I make a lot of effort to be 'stable' and it isn't easy.

I'm sure maby of us would relax a bit more if some doctors and nurses who falsely believe there's an ideal perfect diabetic control stop adding to the burden of diabetes with that attitude. There's always a cloud of censorship about how good we are at controlling those bloody BS and how doomed we are if we don't get it right. If we were conditioned to relax about our results -yes work on getting better results - but relax and not be under that horrible gun, it wouldn't drain the living daylights out of us so much, that head pressure to get it right all the time. They should try living with it for a day.
I must shut up now. Hope you're feeling alright.

Thank you so much!!!

So glad to read your post!!

I have a funded cgm so I do see patterns easily. Hubby on late shift and bed 12-1am makes sleep less.

Also, Daisy our puppy dog has been amazing!! She now wakes every morning at 3.55am and puts her paws up my side of bed (she sleeps on floor next to me). Today thiugh for 1st time she actually jumped on to the bed. Being a Newfoundland/standard poodle and currently 51lb (5 months old) that isnt something I really wanted but it made us laugh about the 4am injections.

Ae find it hard to go back to sleep at 4am though. Then I dont know whether to get up (but need another jab to get up an hoyr before getting up) or jyst lue wide awake.

Dark mirnings mean light on and waking hubby up. Thats how Daisy has trained herself because of the light constantly going on...

I can see it being fun when she's 100lb!!

I have very little food but find also with tresiba as background always needing correction by 4pm as well even not eating all day till 5pmish.

I feel relieved to know I'm not the only person doing this regime. Felt a bit of an oddball to be honest... sometimes especially getting over operations I've struggled and facing another two generals and one local so this makes things extra hard when pre op assessors havent got a clue.. twice hypo so far directly before/ on operating table cos of the sliding scale so I'm still a bit apprehensive as well because of muck ups...

rosedreams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww Daisy sounds so cute, what a doll! Honestly donnellsdogs, it's easy to feel like an oddball often with it, I do too for all kinds of reasons, like how eating one apple can make my BS rise to 22 when I'd already taken 2 units of Novo, it's touch and go sometimes, but I think it's my metabolism. Yet if I don't keep testing I can have a hypo easily... aaargh...

I know it's even harder what with your forthcoming ops, have faith in your strength my dear, be as strong as you can, as hard as it is, to get through it and get back to your life, and if you don't have full confidence in the pre op people you can insist on testing yourself 40 mins before the ops to avoid hypos, although I know they tell you not to eat, but come on, what do they want, blood?!

I got used to waking up at 5 a.m and staying up until I leave for work at 7.30 a.m. I paint, do odd jobs around the house, listen to the radio and do my bike exercise in that time, not always in that order. If I'm too tired I'll lay down and read, but I got used to it and think I prefer it as the best part of the day now. But you can't do that with your hubby sleeping, I know. I mean, you can't take up disco dancing or making shelves if he can hear you when he's trying to sleep . But if you just can't get back to sleep, find something quiet to do to occupy that time, until maybe that pattern phases out and you can go back to sleep, or your regimen changes.

You know how you will adapt to anything, diabetes makes you very adaptable and incredibly tolerant. You just need plenty of rest before and after the ops, and I hope you can get that. Good luck and give Daisy a massive hug, she sounds adorable!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs , the 1.30am levemir isn't perfect...1 unit drops her a bit much at 4am and half a unit still gives a small morning rise, but it helps a lot. It's never perfect is it?! But we're having the best nights we've had in the last 2 years. We've discussed pumps with our team, as they're keen for my daughter to have one. We're reluctant to go for it just yet though as she's doing well with MDI and dexcom at the moment and we worry about her losing her sense of freedom being attached to something else.

Makes nights easier with a cgm doesnt it!!
I find that if I have to inject 1/2 unit it never seems to work..and have to do a whole unit which also drops too much.

Is there such a difference injecting the levemir at 1.30 am? How did you work that time out?

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to but after 5 years brilliant use I cant tolerate cannulas and them blocking. Not just occasionally. The hosp mentioned me having the 670 with sensor when its available in UK but after I asked how the cannula problem could be overcome they agreed basically that the algorythims of the insulin and glucose wouldnt be able to cope. So MDI is only option.
What about the omnipod? It is a wireless pump! Not as accurate as the 640g or as 670g will be but far more accurate than mdi! I'm going on the 640g but I have looked into the omnipod too! It has a hand set the size of a mobile phone and the reservoir is in the pump which attaches to ur delivery site!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What about the omnipod? It is a wireless pump! Not as accurate as the 640g or as 670g will be but far more accurate than mdi! I'm going on the 640g but I have looked into the omnipod too! It has a hand set the size of a mobile phone and the reservoir is in the pump which attaches to ur delivery site!

Doesnt matter what pump or cannulas. Its my skin that doesnt allow insulin through in vsry small amounts. Something happens where I'm lucky if it gets thr un 15hours. Doesnt matter how much extra is given, before or after cannula change. I had 5 cannulas fail in a row with alarms within hours of each other and after 3 attempts to go back on with 3 pumps, 3 hospitals my last hospital have agreed that my body does not like cannulas in skin.

My body not like dressings or other things so although a diaport was considered there was no way I could see this working either. Uf I thought my body would accept impanted tubes etc l, surely I would have jumped at breast reconstruction rather than dble mx and being a flattie....

So stuck with mdi and early mornings..