question

Yvonne2

Why can't we have a weight watchers type plan with meetings for those newly diagnosed and also to encourage those who have diabetes both types. I started doing ww 6 weeks ago and find it is helping with lowering my bs as well as losing weight. I think the ww system is good, easy to follow, and I am positive something like this would help diabetics everywhere. Surely this could be adapted and the cost could be lower than ww.

k9kitty

Hi Yvonne2,
So glad you are getting support for the weight control. It can be tough.

I think the NHS are stuck in a massive time warp with most things to do with diabetes control. And giving patients better control of their diabetes is nothing short of instigating a revolution. It's simply too shocking to contemplate. My GP, however, likes me to manage my diabetes because it gives him less to do. Less appointments, medication, test strips etc. So perhaps the revolution is slowly starting somewhere.

I agree ww type classes would be a huge help for those who need that kind of support. Perhaps the thing to do is get like minded diabetics in your area to start a voluntary meeting with a similar structure of the ww meetings and see how that goes. But it is going to take a lot of campaigning I fear to get the NHS to take WW like meetings on board ,(especially as they still advocate a high complex carb approach when many diabetics find lowering carbs helps with good bg control). I think world peace would be an easier thing to campaign for.

x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
yvonne.
Weight watchers doesn't work for me. I went for about 14 weeks, spent the money and lost 0 weight.
Since ditching the carbs, I've lost weight and got GOOD Bg control. My gym group has regular weigh ins. There's no specific diet and we all support each other. Support groups do work 8)
Hana