Post Your Recipes Here!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: Recipes.

Sorry bread lovers, I've had to remove the bread recipe for now.

All the best,

fergus

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

Lasagne

I don't weigh the ingredients - just use the amount that looks right. As a professional scientist, I have no problem with milligrams, nor millilitres :lol:

The total volume should be about a litre.

500 g mince - beef, lamb, soya (reconstituted);
Onions, carrots, garlic, swede, celeriac, etc, finely chopped in the food processor;
bring to the boil with a little water.
Add:
tin of tomatoes;
2 Oxo cubes (ground), herbs, paprika, cinnamon;
squirt of tomato puree.
Cook for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile:
Preheat the oven to 180°C
soften 4 sheets of lasagne in cold water;
grate a lump of cheese (half fat if preferred);
Cook & mash a potato for the other half (wife &/or topping)
Rake out the wife's store of foil ready meal dishes, choosing two slightly bigger than a sheet of lasagne;
Load the foil dishes alternating mince & lasagne sheets (2 per dish), finishing with a mince layer, making sure the sheets are covered.
Put the grated cheese on your half, & the potato on the other.
Bake for 20 minutes, until the potato is brown & the cheese bubbling.
Divide & serve.
Allow the second one to cool for another day.

Carb - 1 sheet of lasagne in your half weighs 21.54 g, & contains 68% Carb (15 g)

Enjoy

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

RASPBERRY WHIP (taken from a Diabetic recipes book produced by my hospital diabetic centre)

1 sachet sugar free raspberry jelly
2 small pot of virtually fat free raspberry yohurts
4 oz raspberrys

Make up the jelly using only 3/4 pint water (not the 1 pint on instructions)
When just before settiung point (this is a little hard to determine but have made it a couple of times so far and it has still set ok!) stir in the yoghurts (mix in well) and then the raspberrys.
Leave to set

Enjoy! My son actually loves this as well which is good as otherwise I might be tempted to eat the lot!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Here's a quick low-carb version of that traditional British classic dish - curry with fake rice.

First chop and fry an onion, leek and 2 cloves of garlic in a little vegetable oil until soft. Now add a dessert spoon of curry paste (I find Sharwoods 'Madras' works very well, but whichever one you fancy will work too.)
If you use chicken or turkey, chop into bite size pieces and add to the vegetables. Continue cooking until all sides are coloured. Now add 250ml stock, chicken, vegetable, whatever, and 100ml of creme fraiche. Leave to simmer while you fake the rice!
Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large frying pan. Warm it up and grate the head of a cauliflower with a cheesegrater into the pan fry for 5-10 minutes utill it takes on a little colour. Add a little salt and pepper, some spices such as cinnamon or garam masala if you like them. Add a little stock if it looks too dry,
To serve, spoon the 'rice' into a bowl and add the curry and sauce on top.

This works well with all sorts of protein - chicken, turkey, pork, quorn etc. Also, fish or prawns work well, although you would want to add it to the sauce much later, perhaps 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy,

fergus

ally5555

Quick salmon teryaki

Cover salmon fillets with chopped spring onions and ginger if you like it and marinate in soya sauce for about half an hour.

Bake in a moderate oven for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked. Serve with a stir fry or veg etc.

This a no cook recipe but the soya sauce makes it taste really good - its a quick ev meal.

Reactions: 2 people

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Pea and spinach salad.
Quantities, you decide, but this lasts quite a few days in the fridge.

Spinach
Frozen peas
Freash peasto, much better than jars and probably better for you.

Bring to the boil a goodly amount of peas. Take off the heat, drain and cool in a basin of cold water.

FRESH PESTO
In a blender place a good handful or two of fresh basil, a handful of pine nuts, fresh parmesan, S&P and olive oil and blend until a nice soft paste.

Toss the uncooked spinach, cold peas and pesto together and serve. It's fantastic with chicken.

Reactions: HeartShineGirl

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Onion thing, so called because one of the children looked at their plate and said they were not going to eat that onion thing.

In a saucepan, place two or three large sliced onions and a dash of EVOO and fry gently until getting soft but no colour. Add garilc if desired. To this, pour in a carton or two, depending on the size, of tomato passat, (sieved, strained tomatoes) S&P. Add dried basil now or fresh basil later. Leave to simmer and bubble on a very low heat until it turns into a satisfying goop and darker in colour, usually about 20 - 30 mins. It should spoon onto a plate, not pour. Fantastic with meats and other veg or in a pitta.

The sweetest carrots ever.

Cut carrots up into whatever shape you want them. Place in a shallow pan that has a tight fitting lid with a dash of water and a knob of butter. Lid on and leave to steam on a low heat for 10-20 mins. I add leeks with mine. Fantastic.

chocoholic

I made a yummy chocolate mousse recently, diabeteschild and I was looking for the recipe again last night. Couldn't find it but when I do I'll post it on here for you. I tested my blood sugars after eating last time and they were fine.I think it was a very simple mousse, just dark chocolate, eggs and orange zest or similar.

DiabeticGeek

Always go for dark chocolate rather than milk or white - it typically has something like half the sugar. You could probably modify this recipe for a low GI chocolate mousse - quite easily. I suggest that you either have it without the suggested raspberries, or with very few raspberries, and use diet yogurt rather than plain (or better still yogurt that you make yourself - you know there isn't any added sugar then!).

Reactions: 2 people

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Peach Ice-cream - total 70 CHO and 500 calories approx serves 6-8
1 x 425g peach slices in juice (no added sugar of course!)
1 x 150g low fat natural yoghurt (I use total 0% greek)
1 x 170g evaporated milk WELL CHILLED( I use light version)

Blend the peaches with the juice until smooth (1-2 mins in a blender)
Whisk the evaporated mik until thick and doubled in volume
Whisk in yoghurt and then fold in the peach puree
Pour into freeze proof container and freeze until frozen around edges (1-2 hours) and beat up mixture to break ice crystals and put back into freese until frozen
Take out of freezer and put in fridge for 10-15 mins before serving.

I have just tried this one out - and I can't wait until it has frozen the mixture tastes yummy - I can stop scraping the bowl. I am sure it will work with other tinned fruit instead of peaches.

Reactions: 6 people

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

What I would like to add re the icecream is that it would proablably be better with a second beating after another 1/2 hour to break the ice crystals up a bit more.

Maturetype1 - you may need to add some juice too - but that sounds yummy - let me know how it goes!

dillydog

Can you clarify please, is the 70 CHO, 500 calories for the whole amount of 6 - 8 servings, or just one serving. I assume it is for the whole amount. I will definitely be giving it a try, sounds delicious.

mumgonemad

Thankyou ally5555 for the salmon recipe - we tried it last night and it went down a storm.
Also thankyou Troubr for peach ice cream recipe, my son Paul and i made it last night and he had some after coming home from cadets tonight - Paul says it's gorgous and he loves you.
We will be trying out all the other recipes other kind people have shared soon.

Could i just ask if anyone has any more fish recipe's as i'm trying to get the kids and myself to eat more fish but dont have a clue what to do with it - apart from the usual bog standard poach, fry or boil - fish pie goes down a treat but loads of carbs in the mash/sauce and dont think it would taste quite right with grated cauli on top.lol

I did some work with a healer last year and he made me a gorgous salad dish that is really filling.
Here goes.

Chop loads of different salad produce into small bitesize pieces ie lettuce,cucumber,peppers, celery, tomatoes, apple ect
grill a few rashes of bacon (amount to suit dinners) and chop again into bitesize pieces.
Grate some chedar, add pumpkin-sunflower seeds and pine kernels and mix all the ingredients together.
His recipe had a little boiled brown rice but if your low carbing you can't have it or maybe you can as a little treat.
Now mix 4 tbsp of olive oil with 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic and lemon juice. Pour over the mixture and mix.
It's best done in a large container with a lid cause you can give it a gentle shake to mix the contents.
EVERYONE loves it in my house
It's really filling

cheers
lynn

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

dillydog said:
Can you clarify please, is the 70 CHO, 500 calories for the whole amount of 6 - 8 servings, or just one serving. I assume it is for the whole amount. I will definitely be giving it a try, sounds delicious.

Hi this is for the whole amount - I wasn't sure so when I made it I added up the CHO and cals from the tins as I went along.

MUMGONEMAD - Glad Paul likes it, I was really pleased with how yummy it was. I have only been diabetic for a short time but am determined to eat food I like (unlike the many diets I have done in the past) - I have to do this for the rest of my life so I intend to enjoy it!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Erstaz Mousse.
One packet of sugar-free jelly, a citrus flavour works best.
1/2 to 3/4 pint of cream. Double or whipping is best.

Make up the jelly with half the water stated on the packet. It's usually about 1/2 a pint.
Leave it to semi-set. Sort of 'snotty'. If you forget it and it sets hard, just heat it gently until it melts and then leave it to set again.

Using an electric whisk, beat the jelly to break it up and turn it slightly frothy. Add the cream and beat again until it light and fluffy.
Leave to set.

Sometimes it turns out very light and 'moussy' sometimes heavier but either way, it's lovely very cold when something sweet is needed.