Angiogram

Maxylab67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good to find this forum!
My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago. He has lost 2 stone in weight, but continues to take Metformin, drugs for high blood pressure and cholesterol.
Three weeks ago he returned home from work feeling unwell and went to bed. The pain didn't improve and he was very sweaty and had pains in his neck and jaw. I drove him up to A and E ( should've called for ambulance) where he was taken straight through for ECG and blood test. After 30 minutes we were told no sign of heart attack. 3 hours later tests were repeated. Nothing!
They kept him in overnight. Next day they repeated tests, then discharged him with NAD. He was referred for heart stress test.
Last week he went for the stress test, but an ECG done prior to the test showed an abnormality, so didn't go ahead. He was referred to a cardiologist.
I was so concerned that I insisted that we seek a private referral to a cardiologist.( couldn't really afford it).
We went for consultation last week, where we informed of high risk of coronary artery disease. The only risk he doesn't have is he's always been a none smoker.
The cardiologist said we could go through echocardiogram and heart stress test, but ultimately would require angiogram to get a full picture of the problem.
We were informed not to travel on holiday, with our departure date only 2 weeks away. Disappointment was an understatement, but insurance will cover and health is more important.
We now have to wait 6 weeks for an NHS angiogram or could use the refund from our holiday to pay £2000 for private angiogram . I've been googling and seen how serious heart problems are with diabetes type 2. In fact I've scared myself to death. Husband thinks I'm fussing and that we should just wait for angiogram on NHS.
If we have a private angiogram could costs escalate if angioplasty is required? We could get the angiogram in less than two weeks but could further tests be accessed through NHS?
I'm in bits and so worried about it.
He hasnt experienced any further chest pains and today he's been doing heavy work in the garden with no problems. I try to discourage!!
When he first had chest pains A and E doctors said that it was muscular skeletal problems.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks.

astle9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i have CVD and find the NHS very honest with its dealings, told that yes i have what is known as a tight valve and other issues but was then told basically check up every year and if needed they will operate between 5 and 40 years time, i am 50. lots of chest pain and shoulder blade pain, i swim, walk and cycle. Most people who had a echocardiogram would show some abnormality over a certain age. Please allow him to do his gardening as he wishes and try to relax as the stress you are under could play a part in stressing him. Good luck.