Accu-check insight vs omnipod

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Big decision to be made... accu-check vs omnipod, anyone offer any pointers from personal experience. We've been using the insights for a few years and as the warranty is about to expire we are faced with a choice, get the new, slightly improved insights (hopefully the meter has been sped up a little) or have a switch to the omnipod? We like the idea of the "line less" omnipod but it appears a bit "clunky" to fill insulin and has reduced temporary basal rate options... decisions, decisions, any help and real life experiences would be very much appreciated.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @andybraith
I only have experience with the omnipod but I absolutely love it !!

I don't find filling the pod with insulin an issue at all -- my whole pod change from start to finish takes between 4-5 minutes.

not sure on the TBR's -- they have a minimum of minus 95% of basal rate and a maximum of plus 95% of basal rate which is only constrained if your "setting" for maximum basal rate in units is exceeded in basal rate pump settings ( this is done when setting up the pump -- it can be adjusted if needed though )

the PDM( personal diabetes manager) can be difficult to read out side in sunny weather.

the customer service at Omnipod is superb too.

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

I'm sure you've already made your decision by now but I can give a view on both.

I use the Omnipod and can say it's the best decision I've ever made. The wireless feature is a huge bonus, and I've found the multiwave (extended bolus on the PDM) to be extremely useful. It doesn't take long to refill a pod. Each pod can hold 200 units.

My partner has the Accu-Check Insight and that works for him. It has a greater option for increased or reduced basals in increments of fifteen minutes rather than half an hour for the Omnipod, and that's the same as the extended boluses for the time length too, the Insight is in fifteen minutes, rather than half an hour increments. The Insight can hold 150 unit cartridges.

I hope this is helpful :)

Reactions: AJB_81

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the choice of both but went with the Insight, only because I wanted the option of dosing without the handset.

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.

I'm sure you've already made your decision by now but I can give a view on both.

I use the Omnipod and can say it's the best decision I've ever made. The wireless feature is a huge bonus, and I've found the multiwave (extended bolus on the PDM) to be extremely useful. It doesn't take long to refill a pod. Each pod can hold 200 units.

My partner has the Accu-Check Insight and that works for him. It has a greater option for increased or reduced basals in increments of fifteen minutes rather than half an hour for the Omnipod, and that's the same as the extended boluses for the time length too, the Insight is in fifteen minutes, rather than half an hour increments. The Insight can hold 150 unit cartridges.

I hope this is helpful :)

Thanks, very helpful!
We're going for the omnipod!