Recently Diagnosed - Rapid Change In Insulin Sensitivity/Production

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I was diagnosed with T1 roughly a month ago following a positive GAD Antibody test. I spent the first 3 weeks adjusting my ratios and eventually found a perfect 2.5u:10g carbs, with a supporting 26 units of Levimer per day. I found the Levimer was wearing off mid day so I split the dosage roughly two weeks in which helped me control my levels. Since Saturday, I have started having Hypos and I have even reduced my ratio to 1u:10g carbs, yet still going low. I have just tested not injecting and having a very heavy carb meal, and also when having a hypo earlier having several chocolate bars. On both occasions I haven't gone above 14.0, where as two/three weeks ago I was regularly getting readings of 25.0 and above.

The only noticable difference is that on Sunday I ran a 10K charity run in London. I expected this would draw further sugar from my blood therefore on this day I didn't take as much insulin but still had a hypo. Seems quite drastic but it's almost as if it has boosted my pancreas to produce insulin again. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

I think moving forward I will have to restart with the ratios as otherwise I am going to keep going low, possibly in difficult situations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ryan

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I was diagnosed with T1 roughly a month ago following a positive GAD Antibody test. I spent the first 3 weeks adjusting my ratios and eventually found a perfect 2.5u:10g carbs, with a supporting 26 units of Levimer per day. I found the Levimer was wearing off mid day so I split the dosage roughly two weeks in which helped me control my levels. Since Saturday, I have started having Hypos and I have even reduced my ratio to 1u:10g carbs, yet still going low. I have just tested not injecting and having a very heavy carb meal, and also when having a hypo earlier having several chocolate bars. On both occasions I haven't gone above 14.0, where as two/three weeks ago I was regularly getting readings of 25.0 and above.

The only noticable difference is that on Sunday I ran a 10K charity run in London. I expected this would draw further sugar from my blood therefore on this day I didn't take as much insulin but still had a hypo. Seems quite drastic but it's almost as if it has boosted my pancreas to produce insulin again. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

I think moving forward I will have to restart with the ratios as otherwise I am going to keep going low, possibly in difficult situations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ryan
It sounds as if you're in your 'honeymoon' period, when insulin levels vary from time to time, so a perfect ratio may be impossible to tie down. Keep vigilant of your levels.
Geoff

D

Deleted Account

You mention chocolate.
As chocolate has a lot of fat, the carbs absorption is delayed. Therefore, if you eat a large chocolate bar (or several normal bars) and take your insulin at the start, the insulin may take affect before the sugar makes it into your blood. As a result, you hypo and then later go high. To counteract this, you will need to split your insulin dose into something like half when you eat chocolate and half 90 minutes later.
... or it could just be honeymoon period.

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are most likely in your honeymoon period. My partner has been diabetic for over two years and is still in his honeymoon period (must say I'm jealous as I struggle sometimes!!).

It will be hard to get it perfect. You'll have to keep on tweaking it.

Keep going! All we can do is our best as perfection is hard to find with diabetes!