Does testing cause anxiety?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I had done this earlier , much earlier!! There is a definite prejudice in this area about people taking care of themselves!!
This seems to be common experience from people who have been suffering high blood sugars for years following poor diet advice from their GPs. It does appear that most people with type 2 can get their blood glucose down to non-diabetic levels within 6-9 months on a LCHF diet and lose a lot of excess weight as a bonus. Those who are really enthusiastic can do it in as little as three months if they go very low carb and do intermittent fasting.

It may be possible to get to non-diabetic levels using other methods, but you don't see many examples of this in the Success Stories and Testimonials Section. Most success seems via LCHF.

Testing only causes anxiety if your treatment of diabetes isn't working properly. Unfortunately most people who just take pills to treat type 2 diabetes wont see much of an improvement and measuring blood sugars for them may make them anxious and depressed. The answer, of course, is to change your diet to lower blood glucose and having a glucose meter can help verify this and help fine tune your diet to best effect.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This survey from 2010 reported that 27% of respondents experienced anxiety when glucose levels were out of range, however, it also reported that 80% of the respondents felt that SMBG was beneficial.

Further, a review done for NIHR in the process of building the evidence for NICE basically concluded that there was little education and very little idea how to educate those with Type 2 how to best use SMBG, which made it not cost effective.

The anxiety point is an easy get out when you want to say we don't have evidence that it's cost effective as we don't know how to tell you to use it effectively, in my view....
The company that did this research also did the DVLA guidance advice and limits. It was Trend.

Reactions: ickihun

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spoke with the diabetes nurse last week and asker her how many of her patients were on low carb diets. She said that most were not and many continued to put sugar in their tea and eat junk high carb food. Obviously, such people are going to have very high blood sugars despite being on diabetic medication.

It appears that people with diabetes who measure their blood sugar and get it under control through a low carb diet and intermittent fasting are the exception rather than the rule. Hence, many doctors assume that diabetes is a progressive degenerative disease which requires more an more medication over time. This is because these same doctors are giving poor dietary advice to diabetes patients and consequently the patients suffer long term diabetes complications.
I am lucky in that my GP fully supports me in SMBG, including strips on scrip. Yesterday I had my annual review, and he is very pleased at my consistent results. I have been able to drop my Gliclazide from 4x80 mg /day to one, and now we agreed to dropping to 1x40 mg. I am also halving my Metformin and reducing one of my BP meds My GP did say as I left the consultation that he had never seen a T2D achieve such steady readings over a prolonged period, So I iterated LCHF as my secret, and I think the penny is slowly falling into the collection tin, He cannot recommend this diet until NICE and PHE change the rules, but his advice to me is to keep on doing whatever it is I am doing, since it seems to work,

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well but the official advice at GP is often only to lower carbs a bit and maybe eat metformin... and that is insubstantial advice when it comes to taking control if we didn´t offer people to really take control.

and that can only be done by knowing excactly what you eat and what it does to your blood sugar...

so even when having a bit more anxiety at first it soon shows that it is really possible to take full control and get numbers down to non diabetic levels... there just isn´tany way around that low carbing is the only way to really control type 2 diabetes and that is almost never really fully revealed at ones GP or diabetic nurse.

I believe it is an important thing to claim that you DO need to know where your blood glucose is if you don´t want to slide toward ever growing number of adding diseases.

As I said we all have to find out the best way for us personally be that to test or not it is not up to us to tell people how to treat their diabetes because we are all different. For some the thought of having to test their blood before and after food is very scary and thinking they had to do it would cause a lot of stress and anxiety so they should not be made to think they have to do it. I know my own granddaughter would freak out is she was told she had to do that. She has such a needle phobia she literally passes out when she has had to have a blood test and inoculations when she travelled abroad

Reactions: leslie10152

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing only causes anxiety if your treatment of diabetes isn't working properly. Unfortunately most people who just take pills to treat type 2 diabetes wont see much of an improvement and measuring blood sugars for them may make them anxious and depressed. The answer, of course, is to change your diet to lower blood glucose and having a glucose meter can help verify this and help fine tune your diet to best effect.

Totally agree!

Testing and having rapidly improving glucose number is most motivating... :D

12079920_1677434215834371_4985925847946773202_o.jpg

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is not up to us to tell people how to treat their diabetes because we are all different

On the contrary I would say it is exactly up to those who have had success with blood sugar control to share how we have had that success.. It is then up to the other party if they choose to follow it. People come to the forum for assistance and advice they can then either follow it or ignore it but.. without being given the benefit of our combined experiences then they will be stuck with whatever their HCP tells them.. which is often, as we all know, not the best advice. How else will the word of what we do get spread around?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I was told by my GP to stop testing myself as it causes anxiety. Is there any science behind this statement? Does anyone have links to science papers which indicate this or the reverse?

BTW I have never felt more in control of my own health than at the mo!!
Not as much as my doctor does. I'm alarmed by his lack of knowledge.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the contrary I would say it is exactly up to those who have had success with blood sugar control to share how we have had that success.. It is then up to the other party if they choose to follow it. People come to the forum for assistance and advice they can then either follow it or ignore it but.. without being given the benefit of our combined experiences then they will be stuck with whatever their HCP tells them.. which is often, as we all know, not the best advice. How else will the word of what we do get spread around?
There is a lot of difference between sharing our experiences and what works for us than telling someone they have to do something. The OP's original post was asking if testing can cause anxiety and I think for a lot of people it does so therefore we should not be telling them they have to do it but only suggest they try it if they are comfortable with doing it if they are not then that is ok a good diet is more important

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has made a HUGE difference to all of us, and we are the diabetics, your nurse probably isn't. :)
An excellent point. A good plan then would be to ask the doctor if they are diabetic, and what would they do if they were!

Reactions: spook_kate_

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if they are not then that is ok a good diet is more important

Unfortunately, without testing...most never ever figured out what is truly a good diet for them. Hence the scale and burden of this global T2D epidemic...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, without testing...most never ever figured out what is truly a good diet for them. Hence the scale and burden of this global T2D epidemic...
But a good diet will not stop people getting diabetes only help them manage it when they have it

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But a good diet will not stop people getting diabetes only help them manage it when they have it

For Type 1 perhaps.

But for most obesity related type 2...

Given that glaring carbs/insulin information has been available for decades, especially to any informed thinking health professionals and public policies makers, I am not at all surprise that most continue to believe in the medical illusion and misdirection, that excessive glucose and not insulin, is the key driver,
http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/classics1979/A1979HZ23700001.pdf

That is just how the food and pharma industry have remained so successful and continued to profit from an essentially patent free medication, "insulin", and that it is our God given fundamental right to enjoy "food" (especially "healthy" grain based), at all cost.

Last edited:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't agree with your statement at all. Those of us lucky enough to be caught early and diagnosed with prediabetes can prevent the condition progressing by testing, changing our diets and loosing weight.

The information and support from the people on this forum means that 6 years on I don't have diabetes and I am 6 stone lighter. I don't understand why you would disregard that or the reason why medical professionals have created a prediabetes category of around 6 million people in the UK.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The daft thing is that we are not given a choice. The NHS could say that there is an option to test and that many people have been successful at lowering their blood sugar/medications/reversing their diabetes through regular testing and cutting out the foods that spike their blood sugar. Then people who feel that is too much trouble or it will make them anxious (though i really can't see why it would) can opt out.
Trouble is the testing shows up the uselessness of the NHS guidelines and their Eatwell plate and the 'starchy carbs with every meal 'advice they dish out along with the metformin and the statins. So the real reason they don't promote it is because it shows their advice is wrong and has been wrong for decades. If you try testing and it actually does make you feel anxious then that's fine just stop doing it but don't deny the rest of us the chance to improve our own health.
After a couple of months of regular testing I learnt what caused spikes and so I can cut down on the testing now. And if i do find i have eaten something that spikes it gives me an opportunity to do something about it so then i don't have to worry as through testing i have found that a 20 minute walk invariably brings it down and so i don't have to worry about high blood sugars.
obviously if someone has a needle phobia they might not want to test but again just because a few people might have that is not a reason to tell everyone that testing makes you anxious. it makes me and i imagine most of us on here feel empowered and in control of our health and our lives.

Of course if you are following the NHS food advice then testing may well make you feel anxious as their advice is to eat the starchy carbs and then testing will indeed show you high blood sugars all the time after meals. That would be depressing to anyone. They tell you it's progressive and irreversible - what they don't tell you is that is the case only if you follow their advice. Studies on whether it makes patients anxious were presumably done on people following the NHS guidelines and therefore testing would have just shown them how bad it was for them without them having any information to correct it.

Last edited:

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Being on insulin, I have no choice but to test. I remember the first time I had to test, it was an anxious moment. I feel for those who are newly diagnosed.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I disagree, a good diet WILL stop most people developing diabetes and a good diet will most probably reverse the diseases in t entirety for many.

Reactions: zand

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just my opinion, but I think some people are genetically programmed to get diabetes and good diet can prevent it from developing. Once it has developed then a good diet is important to manage it.

This T2 diabetes epidemic has only happened in the last 40 years - before that people might have had the gene carrying it but it didn't develop because people back then didn't eat the quantities and types of food that people do nowadays.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Three months is an awfully long time. Falling off the LCHF diet, infections, stress through bereavement and even the heat can affect bg. I recently learned that Amitriptyline can raise bg so I have decided to try to wean myself onto a lower dose, no doubt I will see through testing over the next few weeks whether the drug has indeed made a difference to my numbers. I find that the gradual fall in my numbers sustains my drive to stay on the diet/lifestyle. Having joined this group has been a lifesaver for me, I thought I knew about carbs, Pah! I now know more and can fight my corner. So thank you all for educating me.

Reactions: zand

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I recently learned that Amitriptyline can raise bg .

I didn't know that!! I take 2-3 every evening. :( I might join you in trying to reduce my dose.