Health Check.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As part of an optional benefit package at work I signed up for a BUPA peek health check. It is pretty thorough I have to say.

As part of that I had my HBA1C done again, I am only 9weeks since my last blood test which was when I was diagnosed T2 with a HBA1C of 95.

My result today was really good - I was really pleased to come in at 44.

My cholesterol also came down from 6.2 - 5.8.some work to do there because my LDL is much higher than my HDL. I also don't know what the break down was from my first diagnosis so I will need to have a look. None the less it was down.

My blood pressure has consistently gone down since I started losing weight and is now a very respectable 120/75.
So work in progress - still a great deal to do - including shifting the last 20lbs to bit at my peek weight.

Thanks for the forum and the people who post for helping to understand more and point me in the direction of great information. I myself started by drastically reducing the carbs and then introducing healthier fats. Obviously far too early to draw any conclusions but a good start.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
As part of an optional benefit package at work I signed up for a BUPA peek health check. It is pretty thorough I have to say.

As part of that I had my HBA1C done again, I am only 9weeks since my last blood test which was when I was diagnosed T2 with a HBA1C of 95.

My cholesterol also came down from 6.2 - 5.8.some work to do there because my LDL is much higher than my HDL. I also don't know what the break down was from my first diagnosis so I will need to have a look. None the less it was down.

My blood pressure has consistently gone down since I started losing weight and is now a very respectable 120/75.
So work in progress - still a great deal to do - including shifting the last 20lbs to bit at my peek weight.

Thanks for the forum and the people who post for helping to understand more and point me in the direction of great information. I myself started by drastically reducing the carbs and then introducing healthier fats. Obviously far too early to draw any conclusions but a good start.
Keep it up @Fleegle, you're going great!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Fleegle

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my cholesterol breakdown now to
Overall 5.79
LDL 4.19
HDL 1.18
TRI 1.07
HDL Ratio 4.9

To be honest I am not really all that knowledgeable on my Cholesterol numbers - though I do know if I could lower my LDL by 1 then everything would fall into place. Any help on what they mean and comments much appreciated. All part of my education.

Reactions: ziggy_w

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I wouldn't worry about those cholesterol numbers if they were mine. Actually, they are close to mine.

Reactions: dbr10 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Fleegle,

This is great -- a job well done. Go you!

You really worked hard since diagnosis. I am not surprised your results are excellent. Go celebrate (go easy on the carbs, though).

Reactions: Fleegle

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my cholesterol breakdown now to
Overall 5.79
LDL 4.19
HDL 1.18
TRI 1.07
HDL Ratio 4.9

To be honest I am not really all that knowledgeable on my Cholesterol numbers - though I do know if I could lower my LDL by 1 then everything would fall into place. Any help on what they mean and comments much appreciated. All part of my education.

The most important ratio is the trigs/HDL which should be under 0.87. Yours is 0.91 so not too bad at all. Raising your HDL or lowering your trigs will improve this.

Was this a fasting test or had you recently eaten/drunk? If not fasting it will have skewed the trigs level. They will be higher. (They will have been swimming about in your blood stream dealing with any food you have eaten)

The usual foods for lowering LDL and raising HDL are

Fatty fish especially salmon
Walnuts and almonds
Dark chocolate/cocoa powder
Olive oil/rapeseed oil
Flaxseed
Chia seed
Avocado
Red wine

Exercise

Carbohydrates can deplete HDL

Reactions: dbr10

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most important ratio is the trigs/HDL which should be under 0.87. Yours is 0.91 so not too bad at all. Raising your HDL or lowering your trigs will improve this.

Was this a fasting test or had you recently eaten/drunk? If not fasting it will have skewed the trigs level. They will be higher. (They will have been swimming about in your blood stream dealing with any food you have eaten)

The usual foods for lowering LDL and raising HDL are

Fatty fish especially salmon
Walnuts and almonds
Dark chocolate/cocoa powder
Olive oil/rapeseed oil
Flaxseed
Chia seed
Avocado
Red wine

Exercise

Carbohydrates can deplete HDL
thank you @Bluetit1802 that is most informative and helps me to put a little more focus into getting the ratio's to the right number.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fleegle,

This is great -- a job well done. Go you!

You really worked hard since diagnosis. I am not surprised your results are excellent. Go celebrate (go easy on the carbs, though).
We are pushing the boat out tonight @ziggy and having 10g carbs in dinner and desert :)
Thank you for all of your help so far on my journey.

Reactions: Guzzler and ziggy_w

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diabetic nurse recently suggested to me using 100% oat bran, you can buy in powder form in any supermarket I got mine in Tesco it's £1.47. For 500g bag, she has other patients who have used it successfully in lowering LDL cholesterol all you do is sprinkle on your meal, it doesn't taste of anything so does not ruin your food.
I am trying it out myself I would like to get on top of my LDL purely so,I could think about coming of Statins.
It's worth a try !

Reactions: Fleegle

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetic nurse recently suggested to me using 100% oat bran, you can buy in powder form in any supermarket I got mine in Tesco it's £1.47. For 500g bag, she has other patients who have used it successfully in lowering LDL cholesterol all you do is sprinkle on your meal, it doesn't taste of anything so does not ruin your food.
I am trying it out myself I would like to get on top of my LDL purely so,I could think about coming of Statins.
It's worth a try !

That does sound good. And the oats do not spike your blood sugar @grabarry ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fleegle - Great work. Onwards and downwards, hopefully.

For your Cholesterol numbers, try pumping the broken down numbers you have here: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php . I'd say they're likely to put a smile on your face.

In my world, I would call your total cholesterol number "an inconveniently large number", rather than anything else, and in my (non-health care professional) opinion your breakdowns speak for themselves. My total is routinely higher than yours and my GP is very comfortable with them, provided my ratios remain good.

Just on a point of detail, the site recalculates your numbers based on the inputs, and uses a small amount of rounding.

If you want to do a bit more learning on lipids and LC eating, I recommend Professor Sikaris, as his delivery is made in pretty uncomplicated language. Here's a link for starters. He has some great content of YouTube.

Edited to correct the YouTube url.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done that lass!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fleegle - Great work. Onwards and downwards, hopefully.

For your Cholesterol numbers, try pumping the broken down numbers you have here: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php . I'd say they're likely to put a smile on your face.

In my world, I would call your total cholesterol number "an inconveniently large number", rather than anything else, and in my (non-health care professional) opinion your breakdowns speak for themselves. My total is routinely higher than yours and my GP is very comfortable with them, provided my ratios remain good.

Just on a point of detail, the site recalculates your numbers based on the inputs, and uses a small amount of rounding.

If you want to do a bit more learning on lipids and LC eating, I recommend Professor Sikaris, as his delivery is made in pretty uncomplicated language. Here's a link for starters. He has some great content of YouTube.

Edited to correct the YouTube url.

Brilliant - thank you for the video and the calculator @DCUKMod . I am a lot more comfortable with my results now.
Now to get the HBA!C down by 3 or more at least.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802