Cranberries

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Does anyone know where you can buy unsweetened cranberries. I just had a look in our local shops and they all have an enormous amount of added sugar. One said carbohydrate 87g, of which sugar = 85.5g.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Is that fresh cranberries,Dennis?I bought dried cranberries from Costcutters(don't remember the brand)They had a lot of sugar but I think it was natural sugars from the cranberries themselves.Be careful with cranberries if you have arthritis,cranberries and drinks like "ocean spray" can make arthritis flare up,which is a pity because cranberry juice used to be one of my favourites!

Knowledge is the key to control

ChocFish

Dennis Ocean Spray do a unsweetened juice, I saw an advert for this and searched supermarkets, couldnt find it so I emailed Waitrose they ordered some.

Better sit down when you try it first, it packs a punch.

Love

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Thanks Sue, I was thinking more the dried sort.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Karen, yes our local Waitrose stocks that one. As you said its pretty powerful and I ended up diluting it with some water. In October we had a holiday in New England, staying next door to a cranberry farm. I have just finished the unadulterated dried one we brought back but didn't realise how difficult it would be to find them over here without vast quantities of added sugar.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the information. The Biona ones looked just what I was wanting, then I noticed that, although they have no added sugar, they are sweetened with concentrated apple juice. There are similar ones in my local Julian Graves and when you look at the carbohydrate & sugar content it is the same as the ones that have added sugar. The only difference is that they have used fructose instead of sucrose - to me that is cheating and could prove dangerous to an unsuspecting diabetic.

Looks like I might have to dry my own - unless I can find the name of the one we went to in Cape Cod and see if she exports.

Linda59

Dennis I happened to have a packet of Whitworths cranberries in the cupboard so went to check them: typical values per 100g

dried and sweetened,

energy 1419kj/334kcal

Protein 0.1g

carbohydrate 80.3g
of which sugars 77.5g

Fat 1.4g
of which saturates 0.5g

Fibre 4.9g

Sodium trace

ingredients
sugar, cranberries(36%), citric acid, sunflower oil,

hope this helps

Linda

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Linda,

Thanks for that. The Whitworths ones seem to be the same as all the others I can find. They all contain more sugar than cranberries. Rather than calling them cranberries (sweetened) they should just be honest and say "bag of sugar with a few added cranberries".