Type 2 Newly diagnoised

Trishbethel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i was diagnosed 6 weeks or so ago, I had already lost 10lb (now lost a stone) and changed my diet hardly any carbs, increased my exercise and gotten my blood levels down to 6.1 first thing in the morning over the day they go down to around 5.1. My doctor still wanted to put me straight onto tablets, grumbled when I told him all this saying, all diabetics want to control by diet - and has given me until sept to get my bloods down to 5.0 I managed a 5.3 this morning (no clue how) but am averaging at 6.1 - is this considered ok and do I really need to be as low as 5.0? As the guidelines on all the sites seem to be 7.00 and under fasting and 8.5 after eating? Am so confused and don't know if I should be on tablets or not? The nurse has said they want my bloods to be 5.0 as I am only 43 and young to be diagnosed type 2 so want my levels to be better than good?
Advice would be so very much let appreciated as do not know what I should be doing for health benefits and not causing myself complications?

Reactions: Guzzler and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like he must be getting a profit share of the meds! - I cant see any reason with numbers like those you need medication. I certainly wouldn't be accepting meds wth those numbers!

Reactions: Prem51

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations our results on your results so far, keep it up.

I'd resist the tablets if you can, you can always go on them at a later date.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i was diagnosed 6 weeks or so ago, I had already lost 10lb (now lost a stone) and changed my diet hardly any carbs, increased my exercise and gotten my blood levels down to 6.1 first thing in the morning over the day they go down to around 5.1. My doctor still wanted to put me straight onto tablets, grumbled when I told him all this saying, all diabetics want to control by diet - and has given me until sept to get my bloods down to 5.0 I managed a 5.3 this morning (no clue how) but am averaging at 6.1 - is this considered ok and do I really need to be as low as 5.0? As the guidelines on all the sites seem to be 7.00 and under fasting and 8.5 after eating? Am so confused and don't know if I should be on tablets or not? The nurse has said they want my bloods to be 5.0 as I am only 43 and young to be diagnosed type 2 so want my levels to be better than good?
Advice would be so very much let appreciated as do not know what I should be doing for health benefits and not causing myself complications?

Keep on doing what you are doing as it is working.. wait until your next HbA1c (what was your result on diagnosis?) and show him what you are capable of. Shake him out of his lazy "just take these tablets" attitude.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Welcome to the forum @Trishbethel. You are on the right path. Try to stay off insulin as it can be a trial. Twelve years of this really can be trying. But don't lose hope - the team is here with you, so you are not alone in this one. Keep us informed of your progress. Best wishes!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Trishbethel and welcome to the forum. Your figures are great. If you continue to average 6.1s you should be well within the non-diabetic range by your next HbA1c. I don't know why your GP and DN want 5s, unless perhaps they want to pressure you to go on medication.
But it's your body and your choice. If you don't want to go on meds and are maintaining low mmol/L figure (7 or below) then just decline to take medication.

Reactions: urbanracer

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I too, cannot understand the rush to get you on meds when you are managing well (very well) without them. I would wait until your next HbA1c results are in then your HCPs will see the proof in the pudding - no pun intended.

keep up the good work and well done to you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posts that you don't really need to aim for sugars that low so medication may not yet be needed.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hey first thing to do is relax. I have read copious amounts of information and it states that All Complications occur some degree over 7.5. Some complications need to actually exceed 8 and others such as finger problems need to go up to above 12. All these need a long time over this number not a 1hr hit.

NHS Recommend below 7.5 and 8.

Most of us will avoid alot of the really bad ones providing we tag to below 7.5

Another thing is the fact that if you google 'Type 2 Diabetes Cure' there are several major trials both to cure T1 and T2 including some really promising 'Gastric' Sleeve and Barbaric surgery.

So given you weigh all that up into the 50% of T2 have 'Some' degree of retinopathy its not hard to realise if you stick to the advice of the kind folks on this 'And its not that hard' that you will largely avoid complications.

But yeah - Keep your levels as low as you can anything below 7.5 (Heck if it goes over during meals go for a walk and watch the number drop)

I've PM'd you!

-- Sheepie

Post edited to remove judgemental comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of my high readings are under 7.5 mmol/l and my Hba1c is now not even prediabetic, but I do not see numbers around 5.
I am much older than you - 65 when diagnosed last year, so I am pretty stoked at the results I have got.
I hope to get lower readings eventually, but with your readings being so low now for your doctor to be pressing you to get so low so fast is putting an awful lot of pressure on you - it could be doing more harm than good.

Trishbethel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, thank you! I have been feeling so conflicted and upset by my doctors approach towards me, even the point that I don't even want to go back and see him! Considering he was disgnoising me for the firs time and that is such a big deal, his dismissive attitude was appalling! I will stick to my guns and refuse the meds! you guys on here have given me the pat on the back and encourgment my go did! Thank you :)

Trishbethel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Keep on doing what you are doing as it is working.. wait until your next HbA1c (what was your result on diagnosis?) and show him what you are capable of. Shake him out of his lazy "just take these tablets" attitude.
My HB was 52, but then I was made to go for a fasting blood test and had to wait 6 more weeks before seeing my GP for a diagnosis- hence how I was able to drop allot of weight and change my lifestyle before my appointment with the GP! It's now been prob about 3 months since my first blood test. My GP has scheduled my next HB for sept when I see him at the diabetic clinic

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with everyone here it's down to you what you take note your doctor. You are doing really well. Stick to what is working and best for you. Congratulations on your results.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Think seriously about changing doctors ... those numbers are very good. He on the other hand, well, I won't say anymore.

Stay off any meds if you can