Blood sugar problem

sunzzofman

Well iv been to see a doctor as iv had bad dizziness for the last year which doctors thought was because of my anxiety.now nearly a year l8er my anxiety is so much better yet im still dizzi all the time.had ecgs,ear test,eyes checked,blood tests for iron etc,but one thing i aint been checked for is my sugar level.so this doctor told me to buy a glucose metre and write down the values but she didnt really say at what times etc.she said i mite be fasting glucose if that makes any sense? cos i dunno wot it means lol.i feel ill quite alot,mostly before meals but i feel a bit better after them.i allso get verrrry thirsty if im feeling dizzi/sick but no matter how much i drink the thirst still stays.what chart should i use to record my blood sugar levels? and does any of these symptoms point to diabeties? :S thanks in advance

lisabishop

Hi, i have been diabetic for 30 years and still learning new things but what i would advise is to write a diary of all your meals and any exercise you do and also take some blood readings . For example - one when you wake up, one directly after breakfast and then again 2 hours after eating. This will show whether your pancreas is pumping out insulin when you consume carbohydrates. If your results are always below 7 or 8 you are probably fine but if they are rising above this and not coming back down to between 5 and 7 then you may be diabetic. I find it a little strange that your doc has pretty much left it to you to sort out. What they should have done was to get you to do a fasting blood test. Where you dont eat for a set amount of hours before going to have a blood test at your docs or local blood testing unit and that should give a indication of whether you are diabetic. The other symptoms i had was loss of weight, constantly weeing/drinking. Also get some one to check your breath - if your sugars are high and you have what is called ketones in your blood your breath will give off a sweet smell similar to peardrops or some people say nail varnish remover.
If all else fails get back to the docs and demand a fasting bloodtest. Hope this is been of some help to you. Best of luck. X

sunzzofman

well this was like a walk in clinic doctor,she told me loads of things it could be and basicly left me to deal with it lmao.but as im seeing my doctors on the 2nd sep il do what u say and ask for that fasting blood test(hate my bloods done as it nearly makes me pass out lol) or is it just the prick in the finger one?

Albert

You needn't worry about the blood test. It is only a small scratch and if you look away you probably will hardly feel anything. It only takes less than a minute or so to draw the blood. Be brave !

Albert

sunzzofman

i do!even if i aint got a clue that its been finshed or done.then i start going all funny,without knowing its been done! which is kinda weird tbh cos im fine wid needles and fine wid blood

Albert

Yes, it's a strange old world. That's the trouble, us diabetics have to get used to these things. Some of us have to inject daily, sometimes several times. When it's like that there is no way you can be squeamish. Ever tried hypnosis to get oevr the phobia maybe ? I am sure you will be fine.

Albert

Pneu

before I was diagnosed type 1 I used to hate needles just looking at one made me feel sick! I can remember like it was yesterday (was 11+ years ago) sitting with the diabetic nurse as she explained about injecting!

I sat there thinking no - way I could do that and I told her so! she said don't be silly it doesn't hurt a bit as she then proceeded to slam a needle into her stomach (she was a large lady and had a fair amount of fat to aim at!)... I must have looked a sight, my mouth could have been on the floor like in the cartoons! but ever since that I haven't had a problem with needles.. if that crazy old nurse could do it then so could I..

Good luck with your test and I hope it comes back ok! try not to worry about the test it wont hurt!

k9kitty

Hi Albert,
Just to wish you luck for your test on Sept 2nd. I do hope you get this sorted out. I get nervous of blood tests. but I chat to the blood taker and look away and it's usually over before I say ouch! If your GP then decides on a further Hb1Ac test, this will tell them what your average bg level has been over three months and can help with diagnosis. I noticed in your list of things tested you didn't mention blood pressure. this should be tested too from time to time. I have low blood pressure which can cause dizzyness but BP which is high can cause symptoms too.

With finger testing, just think about why you need to do it, to get rid of those pesky symptoms or at least bring them under control.

There might be a little booklet enclosed in your bg meter pack for keeping a log or you can make your own log for bg results. You need the date,the time of day and result. First thing in the morning will tell you how you bg level is overnight when not eating. You might test an hour after a meal or as Lisa suggests in her reply.
I usually write an additional note for each day if I eat anything that particularly pushes my bg up or if I have a particular symptom as well. You can show your results to your GP or Nurse. Sometimes these things can seem a bit of a bind but quickly become second nature if they need to be done
Good luck

Dippy3103

I was pretty bad (ok, very :oops: ) when it comes to needles, but i have got better since being diagnosed- a question of having to.
When I first started testing at home I was so bad i got my partner to lance my finger while i looked away! Then i tried on my own, and my first sucessful lancing was when i was trying to get up the guts to do it, and set it off by mistake! I now have a Accu-Check soft click, the cowards choice of lancet, and don't even flinch now. Honest, if i can get used to it, anyone can.
Good luck!

sunzzofman

just recived my kit,and just did a prick 2 hours after having my lunch and its 6.0 if that makes any sense :p dunno if thats gd or not